Simplex FACP System Questions (Before I buy...): My Summer 2017 Project

Hey everyone,
I’m finally on summer break, so this summer, I’ve made one thing a goal: to build a new fire alarm system with a board (possibly on a stand), with a FACP. Now, I’m new to control panels, so I’m not too familiar with how to wire it. Just for information, I will soon be purchasing a used Simplex 4004 on eBay for $320.00. Now that might sound a bit expensive, but I’ve saved up a lot for this and recently got a green light from my parents on my proposal to build a new system, which I’m hoping should be done in less than 2 weeks after I begin (as long as I spend awhile each day working on it). I have a 1.5 week vacation to Colorado at the end of June through the Fourth of July so I’m hoping to finish the system before I leave; however, I’ll be seeing my grandparents a week prior to my trip which also limits how much time I have to work on the system. In the questions below I’m looking for some general feedback from everyone as their opinions as to how I should build the system (keep in mind the 4004 is in the standard 2 IDC 2 NAC configuration, which is all right for me because I want it to be functional and look good while not being some massive system that will be a pain to make). Below is also the parts list, as I’m going to be purchasing multiple Simplex accessories and a few pull stations (NIB if possible) and some retrofit plates to allow some flexibility for changing out devices. Also below are a list of questions I’d like hopefully answered before I buy. My town is having a HUGE garage sale citywide this weekend so I’m waiting till next week to buy this stuff as I might encounter some FA related stuff there somewhere; though it’s pretty doubtful I will.

Also, I’m planning on using 18/2 AWG Thermostat cable as the wiring for this setup…

Please note: I’m going to be doing an all-Simplex setup; which means I’ll be using Simplex backboxes, etc. If someone thinks I should use regular single gang boxes for pulls instead of the proprietary Simplex ones, please offer your feedback below.

Before I begin, here’s the parts list:
[list]

• - Simplex 4004-9101 FACP

• Simplex 2098-9201 Smoke Detector; Photo; with 2098-9211 base
    • Simplex 4905-9903 Retrofit Plate for 2975-9145 (already got the backboxes; I’m using one from my current system as well as one I got from the abandoned school…I may just buy a new one instead but that seems silly)
    • Simplex 4904-9139 15cd strobe
    • Simplex 4905-9931 plate (to mount my TrueAlert (4903-9427) to the 2975-9145)
    • Simplex 2098-9806 test station
    • Simplex 2099-9103 pull station w/ break glass
    • Simplex 2099-9754 pull station
    • 2x 2985-9178 Pull Station Boxes
    • 10x 6.8K ohm EOL resistors
    • 10x 10K ohm EOL resistors (I believe these are the type the 4004 uses)

• [/list]
      Anyways, onto the questions…
    1. Will using the 18/2 solid thermostat wire work/not work with the panel? If so, what are the alternatives?
    2. Are the types of resistors listed above the right kind?
    3. How do I wire the panel (it has been factory defaulted; and yes, I’ve looked over the manual)?
    4. Should I build a stand for my new board (i.e. will it break from the weight of all the devices)? I was going to put wheels on the bottom too.
    5. Will a surge protector power strip provide the right kind of protection for the panel (And no, it’s not going to be plugged in all the time)?
    6. Do I need to ground the individual pull station/A/V backboxes? The ones that came out of the school were all grounded in the backboxes…do I need to absolutely do this?
    7. Do I need to worry about the 4004 in battery trouble (i.e. will it break the panel to never use batteries, because I was thinking they’re not needed for a demo system)?
    8. What board size should I use? Is 4ft by 4ft too huge or too small? Can I go smaller and still make it look good? Also I’m a little over 5 feet tall (like 5ft 2 or 5 ft 1 (or maybe 5 ft 3, I can’t remember, nor do I know exactly), so what is ADA height for pulls and panels because I’d like to make it realistic without having to bend over or stand on a ladder to do tests)?
    9. Will the weight of the panel and board cause the board to fall over or the panel to rip off the board and break or not? If so, how could I prevent this from happening?

Sorry for the SUPER long post everyone, I just have a lot of questions. This is a project I’ve wanted to do for a LONG time, so I appreciate any and all help. Thanks. :smiley:

Yes, I have looked over the “So, you want to buy an FACP?” section on here.

• I won’t try to answer all of the questions here, but I’ll offer my input on a few of them.

You will end up kicking yourself if you choose solid wiring, especially if you plan on changing devices frequently. I originally wired my system with solid 14/2 FPLP, and ended up cutting it out about 2 years later in favor of stranded 14AWG THHN. Although better suited for installations in the field, for a demonstration system you will find solid wiring a real pain to deal with.

Yes. If you are in need of the resistors, contact me as I have some available.

By adding wheels, the entire weight of the board will be distributed onto four points. You will need to ensure that the casters you choose, as well as all the mounting hardware, and the lower corners of the board itself, will be able to withstand and support the weight of the board. In contrast, if you allow the board to rest on the ground, the weight will be distributed along the entire lower edge of the wood.

If you plan to use continuous runs of EMT conduit, this is not necessary as the conduit itself will form the grounding connection. However, if you do not plan to run continuous conduit (ie, you will be running bare wires between boxes or using PVC) then it would be proper practice to ground all of the boxes individually to maintain a common ground reference.

This is really up to you. MDF (which I highly recommend) and plywood are usually available in 4’ X 8’ sheets, so you may end up having to buy a larger piece and cut it down to size. For reference, my main fire panel board is 4 X 6 and has more than enough room for my large system. For a basic single-panel system, 4 X 4 should be fine.

Fire panels weigh somewhere in the range of 20-30lbs. If you are using 3/4" or larger MDF/Ply, proper sized self-tapping hex screws should be able to hold the panel in place. Anything thinner, such as 1/2" MDF/Ply, you will need to bolt the panel through the board.

As for the weight of the board, and going back to Question #4, a good portion of the weight will be in the board itself. A 4 X 4 sheet of 3/4" MDF weighs close to 60lbs depending on the manufacturer.

For reference, here’s a rough measure of the weights of my panel boards to give you an idea of how quickly the pounds can add up:

Halon Board: 1" HDF (High-Density) 2.25’ X 6’ - 2 panels and 11 other devices - 250 lbs

Main Fire Board: 3/4" MDF 4’ X 6’ - 2 panels and 9 other devices - 350 lbs

Fenwal 3220 Board: 1/2 MDF 2.25’ X 4’ - 1 panel and 10 other devices - 175 lbs

My Fenwal board is probably the closest thing to what you are creating, since my other two systems are wall-mounted and much larger. I haven’t had any issues with the board falling over, as long as it is set at a good angle against the wall. It simply rests on the bottom of the board. It’s possible to lift and move it around, although your physical condition may dictate whether or not this will be possible with your system. However, keep in mind that the wider your board is, the more difficult it will be to grip. Even at the same weight, you may not be able to lift a 4’ wide board compared to a 2’-3’ wide board.

Thanks for your help! I may just end up reconfiguring my current board and using it because it is the correct size. Even though the pulls might not be hand height and I might have to get on the floor to use them, it’s not too big of a problem with my adjustable tripod for my camera. Even though I’ll probably just build a new board and a stand possibly, I’ll make sure to take all of this into consideration when planning the layout and such.

1. Thermostat wire will work for a hobby system. You will have the issues other people have mentioned, but it is cheap and easily available. It is #18 which is easier to work with than the 14/2 kcin used.
    2. The 4004 main board uses 10K for NACs and 6.8K for the IDCs. Expansion IDC boards were available in two styles. The standard boards use a 6.8K but there are expansion boards for retrofit and relay base detectors that use 3.3K. Be aware that expansion IDC boards come in two and four circuit types. You can add a two circuit, a four circuit, or both. However, only one two circuit board is allowed. You can’t add two - two circuit boards.
    3. Dropbox link to 4004 field wiring diagrams. https://www.dropbox.com/s/imem3e52sd6m3uk/841-992.pdf?dl=0
    4. Over the years I built a number pf panel stands for training and demo use. They were approximately 6 feet tall by 2 feet wide. They all had casters for mobility to move them to conference room, training room, or to fit in a van to go to a customer site.
      For large heavy panels I used a 2x6x8. I cut 2 feet off of each to use for the base. They look like an upside down T. The uprights were bolted directly to the sides of the equipment boxes.
      For smaller panel we did the same thing using 2x4 lumber. The face was either 1/2" plywood or 1/4" Masonite.
    5. A surge outlet strip will work fine. Remember the panel has the internal protection that was UL required at the time of manufacture.
    6. As stated by others, run a ground wire for PVC or open wire. This will protect the equipment from static and give ground fault reporting. Be sure to use a grounded power cord on the panel.
    7. Nothing bad will happen running without batteries. If you want to clear the trouble without the expense of batteries, connect a 10,000 uF 50V capacitor to the battery terminal strip. That keeps the monitor circuit happy.
    8. My units mentioned in #4.
    9. I have a number of panels, some quite heavy, mounted to 1/2" plywood with #8 sheet metal screws. Put a screw in every mounting hole. It won’t go anywhere.

Well, my dad says he might help me mount the board to the wall; so I might not need a stand at all. But I’ll make a note of that just in case my parents decide to change their mind.