Simplex 2098-9806s in Alarm condition in my hotel?

Hey everyone,
At my hotel in Denver, Colorado, I couldn’t help but notice that in the pool area, the key switches that monitor the duct detectors LEDs are illuminated intermittently (not polling). From what I know personally about these key switches, a LED steadily lit means that the system is in alarm. For reference, initiation devices consist of Simplex 4099-9001s, Simplex Addressable TrueAlarm smokes, and System Sensor Beam Detectors with System Sensor key switches (to test the beam detector). The key switches in the pool area are 2098-9806 key switches. Panel is probably a 4100U because of the older IDNet devices on it. Simplex TrueAlert addressable speaker strobes in corridors, the pool area has an addressable TrueAlert strobe and a weatherproof Wheelock ET-1010 speaker next to the strobe. Smokes in rooms are also TrueAlarms but on sounder bases along with Simplex (addressable?) remote speakers.

Anyways, what I’m kind of asking here is should I let the hotel staff know that the Simplex duct detector key switches in the pool area are in alarm? Or should I not worry about it? I was just kind of concerned when I saw that.

It certainly wouldn’t hurt to tell someone. I could help with a potentially dangerous situation (there actually is a fire but the detectors are already in alarm) if they already know, then they will tell you, but I advise you do bring it to attention.

Good luck with that. My experience with hotels is that unless someone from corporate is stopping by for an audit, they could care less. And heaven forbid the maintenance guy decides to start playing around with things…

Well there was actually a false fire alarm at about 12:00 am this morning. I woke up to the 4100U default message, although it was the female version of it, like the one wiley209 posted on YouTube, but instead of the whoop tone, the speakers sounded the 500hz code 3 tone instead. Luckily the sounder bases in our rooms failed to activate, as it would have scared the crap out of me. But the speakers in our rooms did activate, and that was what I woke up to. I didn’t record it as I thought there might be a real fire and would like to get out with my life instead of doing some stupid recording. But the message played around three or four times then did the code 3 tone until silenced. I have yet to determine the cause of the alarm, but I will inquire at the front desk later today. The hotel staff did exactly what they were trained to do and evacuated with us. It was probably the fastest I’ve ever walked down 8 flights of stairs in my life. I didn’t even stop to put my shoes on; I just left barefoot, and earned a scrape on my heel for my trouble, which started bleeding (the stairs were concrete). Denver FD arrived within minutes with a tower ladder and went into the FACP room and silenced the alarm. We were allowed back in about 5 minutes later and it was no surprise that there was no fire. Then I couldn’t fall back asleep till about 1:00am because I kept thinking the alarm was gonna go off again.

So yeah, it was an eventful experience. I’ll post the whole story later and the hotel’s apology letter.

Just a thought…

:wink:

The sounder bases will probably only sound when their associated detector activates.

You’re correct. Looking at footage taken at the same hotel of a fire alarm about a year and a half ago (the video you PM’d me) the sounder bases were not active either.

You say the LEDs are illuminated intermittently… sounds like polling to me. The LEDs on the keyswitches can be fairly bright at time. If it was in alarm, it would be lit solid. As for telling the hotel, they have no idea who you are or what your experience in the fire alarm field may be… so I’d imagine your concern wouldn’t travel too far.

It was lit solid. There was a fire alarm late that night around midnight. I left that building several days ago. I’m staying in the mountains now and there’s a wildfire and people are being evacuated…uh oh.