Alarms Compatible with a Silent Knight 5107

Hi all, I’m new to the forums, and this is the first system I’ve wired. I am a fire safety engineering major and have knowledge of how systems work and basic knowledge of wiring. I happened to pick up a new old stock Silent Knight 5107 panel at Habitat ReStore about a week ago, however when trying to wire it into my pull stations and bells, I noticed it is a 12 volt system. What are some easy to install, inexpensive 12 volt parts?
Thanks!

Welcome to the forums!

If you have any questions or concerns regarding the site, please contact me or another Staff member.

I did a quick online search but was unable to locate an official compatibility document for the 5107. However, the installation manual indicates that the Alarm Bell output has a maximum output of 350mA at 12V, so we can work from there.

The manual shows a Wheelock 46 series bell as the preferred signalling appliance, however any 12V appliance drawing less than .350A should operate on the circuit.

Since the current rating is so low, you will likely only be able to safely power one or two (see note) devices on the circuit at the most. For this reason, my personal recommendation is a Wheelock MT-12/24 horn. These are selectable between 12 and 24V operation, and offer eight distinct tones that can be changed via DIP switch. So although you may only be able to have one notification appliance on the panel, it’s almost like having the choice between 8 different units for the price of one.

An MT-12/24 will usually run you somewhere between $10-15 on eBay.

Note: If you decide to go with the MT-12/24, you will be able to power two devices only on certain tones. Only one unit set on “Code 3 Horn” will be able to operate on the circuit, as with that setting each device will draw 0.183A at 12VFWR, exceeding the current limit on the Bell circuit. Here’s a document with the current ratings for reference: http://www.cooperindustries.com/content/dam/public/safety/notification/Resources/InstructionSheets/P82467.pdf

Awesome, thanks for the quick reply!

Another great choice, if you’re willing to sacrifice the additional tones the MT provides, is the SpectrAlert Classic and Advance series.
On Code 3 low volume and 15 Candela, the SpectrAlert Advance P2R draws 129 mA at 8-17.5 volts FWR, so you could theoretically have up to 2 P2R devices on the circuit in the Low Volume Code 3 15 Candela configuration. You could also use the PC2R (ceiling mount version) if you prefer ceiling mount devices.
A SpectrAlert Classic P1224MC (predecessor to the Advance PC2R) on low volume electromechanical temporal (Code 3) and 15 CD will draw 111 mA at 12V FWR, so you could theoretically have up to 3 of these on the circuit in this configuration. Again a comparable ceiling mount version is available although the model number escapes me at the moment.
SpectrAlerts are a little easier to find on eBay in my opinion and they can sometimes be found cheaper. I once found a pack of 2 Classic P241575 horn strobes for $10, and they are still in my system today.
Of course, the MT that kcin recommended is a fantastic choice and definitely offers the most versatility. Just throwing out a couple other possibilities!

Spectralert s are great! I know they make 12v models have a significantly low current draw, but these are harder to find. Gentex Commanders also have some 12v products but these are pretty rare. My best input is to go with spectralert a because they are easy to use and have very low current draws. The entire advance series (except hi candela models) can work on 12v. Also some 12v bells and vibratory horns exist out there, but current draws will be a lot higher limiting the number of devices.

So it sounds like I have quite a few options for notification appliances, thank you all for the help! As far as pull stations go, I have a Gamewell Century pull in my collection, would that be compatible, or would I need a newer model pull station?

Any standard conventional pull station, that is, a pull station that simply acts as a normally-open switch, will be compatible regardless of age. As long as your Century is conventional, it will operate fine.

A conventional Century will simply have a switch and some terminals or wire leads. An addressable Century will be easily identified by a large circuit board mounted on the rear of the unit.

As Nick said, any conventional “switched” station will be fine. You can also use addressable stations after removal of the addressable module. Then most will just become a conventional station. All heat detectors will work with any voltage panel, and any system Sensor i3 detector will work with this panel as well.