Looking for info on First Alert SA76RS

Hello everyone. This is my first post here. I stumbled into these forums when checking how old one of the smoke detectors in my house is. The one in the basement stairway was calling for a new battery. It’s a First Alert SA76RS and I see it posted here that it is rare and old.

Is it time to replace it? :lol:

Is it worth anything or should I call to return it like the case says?

Note: Most of my smoke detectors are much newer - this one was kinda redundant.

From what I have learned, a general rule of thumb is to replace smoke detectors every ten years. However, I wouldn’t just throw it away. It being old and rare like you say it is, someone else may want it for their smoke detector collection. You can even keep it yourself if you want, though I would make sure something more modern is being used for life safety. Hope that helps.

Ionization smoke detectors like this one are not made to be used beyond 10 years from manufacture. By all means, keep it up there if you like it but I don’t recommend depending on it as a life safety device. Photoelectric is superior technology and the only thing I would install nowadays. I’d recommend interconnected Gentex GN-503s and S1209s as something to actually depend on.

It’s definitely coming down. Does anyone have any interest in it? Any offers? I collect plenty of things but it’s not in my wheelhouse.