Residential Smoke Alarm Questions

On several YouTube videos, I’ve seen people connect their 120v smoke detectors to an IDC on their panel. How do you do this? When the test button is pressed, or the detector goes into alarm, so does the panel. How is this possible, I’d really like to try this.

There are single station smoke alarms available that also have relay contacts for connection to other systems. Example Gentex 9123F.

There is a relay module you can put in line with 120V smoke alarms. It’s wired to the interconnect wire and gives you a dry contact. I’ve seen it once in a residential setup connected to an alarm panel, but given how often residential smoke alarms false, I wouldn’t recommend it.

Ive never had a false alarm in the 12 years ive lived in my house, (Yay photoelectric detectors!) What kind of module is this? I just want every room to be protected.

Google is your friend - search “120V smoke alarm relay”. You need to buy the same brand as your smoke alarms. You probably could use another brand, but not recommended by the manufacturer. And yes, photoelectric are far superior to the big box contractor specials.