Smoke/Heat Detectors Have Reached End of Life

I have a Ademco Vista 20P (rev 10.23) system with three (3) ESL 429CT smoke detectors (Photoelectric + integrated 135 degrees fixed temp and rate-of-rise heat detector) in the house and three (3) Edwards Systems 284B-PL heat detectors (fixed temp 194 degrees) in the attic/garage. The smoke and heat detectors are now both over 18 years old and I am uncomfortable with them since they are beyond thier recommended life span. I am especially concerned given the fact that I have not been able to trigger the smoke detectors with real smoke (the magnet test does work) while testing the system. I would like to simply swap the smokes and heats with newer compatable versions that would not require any modifications to the panel or current wiring.

It appears a direct replacement for my current smoke detectors would be either the Interlogix 521BXT or the System Sensor 2WT-B.

As far as the heat detectors, it appears my options are simply buying the same model again or the System Sensor 5602.

Are these the best/only choices? Are there others? What would you recommend?

Thanks.

I wouldn’t really think the heat detectors would need replacing because they don’t have a smoke chamber in them but instead rely on the heat to melt/soften a piece inside to set it off.

Since you have a Honeywell Vista, you can replace your detectors with System Sensor i3 2WT-B’s. As for the heat detectors, I recommend the System Sensor 5602-P, it’s a plain (No markings) and low profile heat detector. Make sure that the temperature rating is correct, this depends on the model. Although, I don’t think the existing detectors require replacing, as they operate mechanically.

Thanks for the replies. I have since updated my smokes with the System Sensor 2WT-Bs and have left the current heat detectors in place. Replacing the smokes was extremely easy as long as you document which wire went where on the old smokes before hand. I am happy with the 2WT-Bs as they are much better looking than my old 429CTs, are not yellowed from age and appear to be more technologically advanced than the 429CTs. My only issue is that the installation went so perfectly that I am scared that they may not actually work. While I am getting no faults on the control pad, the lights on the smokes blink as they are supposed to and they pass all the tests in the installation instructions, I think I will buy a can of smoke to test them even further. Thanks again.

Yes, spray them with some canned smoke and clean them with canned air afterwards. I do this with any new smoke detector I’ve installed – there’s no substitute for practical testing. Just don’t test the heat detectors with heat – they can only be tripped once and then they have to be replaced.

I think you should be able to test most heat detectors by pressing the disc up gently. I’ve never messed with a mechanical heat detector so I’m not sure.

Mechanical heat detectors can only be tested if they have a Rate-Of-Rise feature. Most fixed-temperature heat detectors cannot be tested as when they activate, a solder/wax link melts and a piece permanently separates (much like a sprinkler head).
Rate-of-rise detectors can be tested by applying a heat gun or hair dryer on the “low” setting, so that you don’t accidentally trip the fixed heat element. Since the rate-of-rise sensors are self-restoring they can be tested multiple times.