4-wire detectors

Hi everyone!!

I’m just starting in the Fire Alarm world, and I have a question: I have an ADEMCO Vista 21ip Panel, and I want to install 5 smoke detectors that I have of another installation, the question here is: Can I install a 4 wire detector in any panel with a 4-wire detector support? For example, Can I install a System Sensor i3 4-wire detector in a Vista panel and use the same model in a DSC panel?? Can these panels work properly with that kind of sensors??

For further information: The 5 detectors I have are 4W-TB and also I have 6 detectors FSA-410Bt of DSC.

Thanks a lot for your help.

I’ll be happy to help in any way I can. Is said Vista panel going to be used for life safety or is it a hobby panel?

There is no restriction on 4-wire smoke detectors being combined with other model 4-wire detectors or other brand panels. All 4-wire smoke detectors use two wires for power, and two as normally-open contacts that close on alarm, and all panels can work with this. 2-wire smoke detectors, on the other hand, must be listed with the panel and can’t be combined with other model 2-wire detectors or device types (such as 4-wire detectors) on the same circuit.

Be aware that a 4-wire smoke detector circuit needs an end of line power supervision relay as well as end of line resistor.

Thanks everyone for your help, the panel is going to be used to life safety for a small clothing store.

Now, since this is going to be used for real-life purposes, I would highly recommend having a licensed technician do the work on this system for both liability reasons and because the techs knows about these systems, building / electrical codes, and what kind of work would be needed to complete the task at hand. When it comes to the legality of doing this work yourself, you should ask your Fire Marshal or equivalent official.

Yep, always consult local code and AHJ. NEVER do real life safety work unless you are a licensed tech.

Agreed! Please, do not read any of my answer as condoning any practice that violates local codes or licensing requirements. Always adhere to local codes and regulations regarding life safety equipment. This equipment protects lives. Any mistakes or shortcuts can have catastrophic consequences for all involved.