Simplex 4100 Serial Data Capture

Hello All

I am trying to figure out if I can interpret the raw serial output from the 4100 panel without using the factory application or programmer. I am looking to gather the output and use a simple program to get information remotely into a data collector for another piece of software I use. If anybody can speak from experience on the data output or if someone could possibly provide a capture of raw data from any of the 4100 series it would be much appreciated.

I have no actual experience doing this with Simplex panels, but virtually any panel can be set up to provide a log in ASCII over RS-232 for a printer. Often, though, this is disabled by default. Do you have a serial cable for this panel? If so, I suggest plugging it in and connecting to it with a program like HyperTerminal or Tera Term. Then generate a trouble or restoral and see what you get. Most likely the baud rate will need to be 9600, but if you get garbled text, you may need to try different serial port settings.

I can only speak for Firelite panels but they operate at 9600/7/E/1. 9600bps, 7 data bits, even parity, and 1 stop bit. You will probably have to get some info on the baudrate to get it to work since there are tons of combinations of devices.

Just wondering if you ever got data out of the 4100u panel?

Back when I was working for Simplex, I used to capture and actually control the panel from my computer. I use minicom and I am on debian linux. I have used hyperterminal and it works fairly well, also cutecom. Anyhow, I could reset with one of the f keys but I cant remember which one. I have a lot of FX2000 and I connect with 9500 8n1, I connect and perform reset and I also have access to some secret menus. All notifiers seems to be 2400, 4800, 9600 7n1. Sometimes you have to mess with it, sometimes you have to enable it in the programming menu.