Extracting device list from siemens mxl?

Hi is there anyway to extract the device list and adresses from a siemens mxl IQ Running of a MMB2 board? I know there are programming ports that use ethernet cables but what do i do next? I remember reading somewhere that there is software called GSC-M or somthing like that or ZEUS FIREFINDER but i couldnt find anything on how to download or even use it

Woops im sorry it is actually a MMB-3 Mother board i will post pics below

1 Like

You can pull off SLC and see what missing troubles come in. If you have the proper cables and the panel is programmed to provide printer output, you can print all the troubles or capture them on a computer with HyperTerminal.

Ok cool thanks! And if i wanted to capture them on hyper terminal do i hook my laptop up to the printer port then send them or do i hook up the printer the hook my laptop up to the printer? Sorry for asking

also can i use a 6 pin data to USB cable and connect it to the slot on my laptop from the FACP?
i just also had one last question if you can answer. how would i know what host adress/port number to call to get the terminal info

also is there anyway anyone can help me find baudrates for the panel? i cant find any in the Manuel.

The term printer here is ambiguous. Panels have a serial output that is meant for a printer, so it will send a signal that tells the printer to print out a log of what’s happening on the panel. All it is is an RS232 signal.

No, you would have to get an RS232-USB converter and an RS232 cable that you don’t mind hacking up. On my panel, there is no legit serial port, you have to put bare wires into screw terminals. A multimeter would be handy to check for what pin corresponds to what wire. Keep in mind if you get it wrong you may fry the serial part of the panel, so measure twice and cut once as the saying goes.

If it’s not in the manual it will require some fiddling around. 9600 and 115200bps are common bit rates. You also may have to play with the data bits, parity bits, and stop bits.

edit: formatting

Oh man thanks for the help! This is interesting lol. Anyways i was wondering could i use this premade serial to usb cable?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B06ZYPLFNB/ref=mp_s_a_1_sc_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1519351234&sr=8-3-spell&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=6pin+sierial

Also im still only 5 months into this stuff but on this siemens panel the serial port are pins sticking out, they are not screw in terminals like for NAC panel outputs. I just wanna make sure im understanding you, so pretty much splice the rs323 cable and then just touch them to the wire pins that stick out. If you want a example in the pic above the serial port is to the upper left that says “to tsp-40”. And unless that cabel from amazon works im gonna have to splice them and then match em to the wire pins sticking out. Also how do i know what is what like grnd. I know i can mesure the 3.3V but how do i know what is GRND n so on.

I honestly don’t know if that would work. If someone in this forum had more info on Siemens stuff we might be able to get voltage info. It may not even be RS232, it could be TTL serial. If it’s RS232 that adapter you showed me will not work. However if it’s 3.3v TTL logic then it will work. ALWAYS verify polarity and such.

Oh, and if this is for an actual life safety system I would recommend consulting a professional. If it’s a hobby system you can do whatever the crap you want.

No, that probably will not work. You will need an actual USB to standard RS-232 adapter, like the Keyspan USA-19HS. There are cheaper ones out there but I can’t speak to their reliability.

It looks like the P4 “TO TSP-40” pin header is indeed an RS-232 printer port, but I can’t find any documentation on what pins do what. There are also a few RJ-11 jacks for a programmer or other accessories that may use RS-232, but I can’t find any details on them either. The official way to connect an RS-232 printer is to install a PIM-1 module, but that would be overkill for just for this purpose.

Unless you want to test every combination of pins and solder your own cables, you will probably spend less time just scrolling through the troubles on the display. I’ve done it before taking pictures of each message on my phone. It doesn’t take more than about half an hour, even with a few hundred messages.