Simplex 4006 Earth Fault

Hello Everyone,
I have recently bought a simplex 4006 and no matter what I do I can’t get the earth trouble to go away. Can anyone please give me some guidance as to how to get the trouble to go away?

Thanks,
Ryan

If the panel shows a earth fault with no external wiring connected it is what we used to call “burned into the board.” Most often that is a result of damage from lightning or some other over voltage situation. This can damage an MOV (Metal Oxide Varistor) used for UL required suppression. I will do some research and post again later.

There is idc and nac wires connected

Your first post reads like this is a hobby system. I need you to confirm if this is a hobby system or a system installed in a building actively protecting life and property.

This is a hobby system

First tag and remove the external wiring from the panel. If the ground fault trouble remains the fault is internal to the panel.

I did some research. Around the NAC and IDC terminals there are transient suppression diodes. They are identified by the lettering on them of YR2CA. I tried to locate specifications for them but I could not find information about them on line.

If you look next to the screws that hold the main circuit board to the chassis the word EARTH is printed on the board next to some of them. That is the ground connection to the suppressors in that area. With the panel powered down, one at a time remove each screw and slide a piece of paper under the board to isolate the board from the mounting post. Then power up to see if the ground fault is cleared. If it does that is the section of the board where the fault is. Replace the metal screw with a nylon screw and washer. Place the washer between the board and mounting post. That will keep the board isolated from the chassis. Nylon hardware is available at many home center stores or on line.

The troubleshooting method above can be helpful in locating problems.
The procedure to leave a section of a panel isolated from ground is only for hobby systems.
Systems protecting life and property must be properly repaired.

The ground trouble went away. Thank you for all your help.