Simplex SmartSync Module (4905-9938) Questions

I’m hooking up my new SmartSync SCM to my Simplex 4004 demo system. I am referencing the field wiring diagram from the panel on the page for 2-wire Class B devices for SmartSync.

In the instructions for the SCM, it says that if the NAC IN doesn’t have an EOLR to add one; however in the FWD for the 4004 (841-992, page 25) it doesn’t mention this, and this is on the Class B page that shows how to hook up the 4905-9938 to a 4004 panel, so I’m assuming that if the FWD doesn’t mention adding one that I don’t need to add one? I’m pretty sure I don’t need to because it’s the NAC IN terminals, but any advice if this isn’t the case would be appreciated before I actually hook it up which I plan on doing later this evening.

I just paid nearly $60 for this module brand new so I’d like to not blow it up or something (although not adding an EOLR would probably just trigger a NAC trouble).

Also another question, I am wanting to have the Horns silence and the Strobes stay on with audible silence until reset…does the diagram from the FWD on page 25 allow for this? I’m guessing it does, but that’s another thing I want to check. NAC 1 is on until silence and NAC 2 is on until reset in my current configuration. I’m using a 4906-9127 A/V, and 4906-9101 and 4906-9107 V/O’s respectively. Any help with both is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I went through the install manual I have for the 4905-9938 control module and I can’t find a statement “that if the NAC IN doesn’t have an EOLR to add one.” Makes no sense to put an EOLR on NAC IN because the EOLR is at the last NA.

Wire it per the FWD for 4004 and it will work just fine.

[quote="Retired STR-SG" post_id=82013 time=1539554402 user_id=3047]

I went through the install manual I have for the 4905-9938 control module and I can’t find a statement “that if the NAC IN doesn’t have an EOLR to add one.” Makes no sense to put an EOLR on NAC IN because the EOLR is at the last NA.

Wire it per the FWD for 4004 and it will work just fine.

[/quote]

Thanks! It works perfectly.
On another note, however, when I conducted a functionality test on both pulls and the smoke detector I have up (Model 4098-9601, manufactured in 2015), I noticed upon power up of the system that the LED indicator on the smoke detector was flashing quite fast, probably once every 3-5 seconds. Typically the LED blinks every 20-30 seconds. I chalked this up to the detector initializing. However later when I conducted a magnet test on the detector I noticed that upon the detector going into an alarm condition, the LED did not light up steady as it was supposed to…had I not seen the panel go into alarm I wouldn’t have known it had even worked. I’m not really sure what could’ve been causing this…was the detector still intitializing perhaps? I did have to place the EOLR in the panel’s zone 2 hookup because the resistor was too short to fit across the terminals on the base, but I wouldn’t think that would have anything to do with it as it shouldn’t affect the operation. It could just take a slower time to initialize than other detectors, but I thought I’d just point that out as an observation.

Glad it worked for you. If I get a chance I will look into the unusual LED indications on the -9601 detector. Just so I know, is the detector in a standard 2-wire base (4098-9788)?

[quote="Retired STR-SG" post_id=82035 time=1539728392 user_id=3047]

Glad it worked for you. If I get a chance I will look into the unusual LED indications on the -9601 detector. Just so I know, is the detector in a standard 2-wire base (4098-9788)?

[/quote]

Correct. The seller stated that they cleaned the detectors once they were removed from the system they came from. They weren’t in service long, since the detector itself is only three years old.

I connected a 4098-9601 smoke detector in a 4098-9788 base to a 4004 standard IDC. The detector LED blinks every 4 seconds and responds normally to a magnet test. In standby with the detector connected the voltage across the IDC is 24.8 volts which seems normal. When the detector goes into alarm the voltage across the IDC falls to 7 volts which seems correct for a current limited device. The LED indications match those on page 5-6 of this manual.
http://firealarmresources.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Simplex-4098-Detector-Application-Manual.pdf

[quote="Retired STR-SG" post_id=82063 time=1539966856 user_id=3047]

I connected a 4098-9601 smoke detector in a 4098-9788 base to a 4004 standard IDC. The detector LED blinks every 4 seconds and responds normally to a magnet test. In standby with the detector connected the voltage across the IDC is 24.8 volts which seems normal. When the detector goes into alarm the voltage across the IDC falls to 7 volts which seems correct for a current limited device. The LED indications match those on page 5-6 of this manual.
http://firealarmresources.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/Simplex-4098-Detector-Application-Manual.pdf

[/quote]

Everything seems to work as intended, however upon conducting additional magnet testing, the LED fails to illuminate steadily as it should in the alarm condition (it does illuminate very dimly for about 0.5 seconds before turning off completely). I made a unlisted YouTube video so that you can see what is exactly happening on magnet test. However, the LED flashes once every 4 seconds in normal condition. I’m not quite sure what the issue is but perhaps the LED may just be burned out? Seems a bit odd to me since it works under normal conditions and not in an alarm state, and upon magnet test the system goes into an alarm conditions and the signals activate as they are supposed to, indicating the detector works correctly minus the LED not steadily illuminating.

Video:
[YouTube]JJ8nECL_7OY[/YouTube]

I did an experiment with a resistor substitution box and a voltmeter across the IDC. I magnet tested my detector and then began switching in additional resistance across the IDC. The LED stayed on with 5 volts across the IDC. The next step lower dropped the IDC to 3.7 volts. The detector LED went out.

If you have a voltmeter check the voltage across the IDC in standby state and with the detector activated. The LED could be turning off because the IDC voltage is low.

[quote="Retired STR-SG" post_id=82110 time=1540326644 user_id=3047]

I did an experiment with a resistor substitution box and a voltmeter across the IDC. I magnet tested my detector and then began switching in additional resistance across the IDC. The LED stayed on with 5 volts across the IDC. The next step lower dropped the IDC to 3.7 volts. The detector LED went out.

If you have a voltmeter check the voltage across the IDC in standby state and with the detector activated. The LED could be turning off because the IDC voltage is low.

[/quote]

Ah, then that must be it then. Next time I have the opportunity to test everything I will run a test with the voltmeter and see what happens.