Thoughts on DIY Security

Anything related to security system panels, installations, and other stuff.
DownsLife+Safety
Casual Participant
Casual Participant
YouTube Username: DownsLife&Safety

Hey all,

My cousin is looking into security system options for his home. He mentioned that while he's open to having a professional install an actual system, he would like to do it himself through DIY options.
What are your thoughts on these systems? I'm on the edge since I've heard stories about people being able to disable systems and the fact that they're not necessarily UL Listed.

Thanks in advance!
DownsLife&Safety ~ Inspiring to prepare safer lives
I'm Prepared, Not Scared! Learn more at ready.gov!
Find my YouTube Channel Here!
MickPB
New User
New User

I installed a Ebay Vista series 15 years ago and other than the manual being written by an electrical engineer with a good bit of industry jargon it has served us will. Home automation is providing lots of options to revitalize these older systems but again are a technical challenge. I currently can arm/distrm or alert my phone or about any other internet capable device anywhere in the world. I also can use the motion and door triggers to control other HA functions like arm the alarm at a predetermined time. Disarm the alarm if my phone is present and the door was electronically unlocked. I've also spent a lot of time on this. $$ or time. Reliability and support are considerations too