Thoughts on DIY Security

Hey all,

My cousin is looking into security system options for his home. He mentioned that while he’s open to having a professional install an actual system, he would like to do it himself through DIY options.
What are your thoughts on these systems? I’m on the edge since I’ve heard stories about people being able to disable systems and the fact that they’re not necessarily UL Listed.

Thanks in advance!

I installed a Ebay Vista series 15 years ago and other than the manual being written by an electrical engineer with a good bit of industry jargon it has served us will. Home automation is providing lots of options to revitalize these older systems but again are a technical challenge. I currently can arm/distrm or alert my phone or about any other internet capable device anywhere in the world. I also can use the motion and door triggers to control other HA functions like arm the alarm at a predetermined time. Disarm the alarm if my phone is present and the door was electronically unlocked. I’ve also spent a lot of time on this. $$ or time. Reliability and support are considerations too

there are diy systems like simpli safe and cove but i dont recommend them because an rf transmitter can interrupt the communication and it wont report the contact as open

1 Like

Depends on what they mean by DIY. If they mean buy a Vista or DSC panel from a supplier or eBay and a manual and figure it out, then it’s a great learning experience so long as they get it registered in their jurisdiction. If they mean like a Ring doorbell or a Cove system or what-have-you, then it’s “better than nothing”. I’m a professional alarm installer, and I do a lot of home improvement DIY, including simple car repairs, HVAC repairs, electrical, and run low voltage wires. Assuming you do your homework, buy permits, if required, and dispose of hazardous waste responsibly, then DIY is fine. Wireless systems that rely on a good WIFI signal should never be the bread and butter of any premises security system.

For most homeowners, a burg alarm is more peace of mind than anything else. I think a gun, yard signs, cameras, or locking a gate in the front yard every night would deter more potential cat-burglars than an electronic alarm system would. I would say, as an electronics technician, that the best solution would be, in addition to gates, locks, Home Alone inspired traps, and cameras, a hard-wired premises intruder alarm supervised with EOL resistors. is the ideal solution for premises security.

1 Like

A burglar alarm definitely gives homeowners peace of mind s whenever a stranger tries to enter their property. The alarm activates and lets the homeowner know that someone is entering their property. If anyone is looking to get one contact a locksmith to get it at an affordable cost.

There are pros and cons to both sides but I prefer DIY because of the ease of use, home automation, the ease of moving it to a new home, and I like setting it up exactly how I want it set up.

You can also use it to monitor other things.