Residential Security System

Hey guys, my old FBII security panel crapped out on me recently. All the sensors are wired and I DO NOT want a wireless system! I put together some plans for a relay based simple security alarm panel. It includes a relay for each zone and then a latching relay for the actual alarm circuit (very simple). I know there is other more advanced options but I would like to keep it simple with relays. Just wondering if anyone has any tips for building a relay based system. Thanks :mrgreen:

P.S. I have magnetic switches at every door and window and three Sentrol Motion Detectors

It’s a FACP, but its a start
<URL url="Building a FACP]Building a FACP]

The FBII, was it a FBII XL-2 or XL-2T? Either ones keypad would work on my FBII…

If you plan to use this system for actual security protection, as you seem to indicate by the fact that your house is wired for it, I’d highly recommend splurging on a decent security system panel.

Have a look at the Interlogix Concord 4.
It is a hybrid wired/wireless system with 8 zones, expandable up to 96.
Real inexpensive, very easy to program and operate, and can be found on ebay for cheap every once in a while.

My schematic is very similar but won’t short out like that one. Its the XL2 Silver Edition if that helps. Everything ran on 12vdc so it could be wired to a FACP, but all the zones are normally closed not normally open like in fire systems (which can be fixed with a 12v dpdt relay)

I will take a look at that system, but I’m on a tight budget and I already have a stockpile of electrical parts. I know there is a failure factor for a homemade panel, but its better than not having one at all.

I just did a quick search on ebay for you –

$125, buy it now. Comes with the panel, a keypad, a bag of parts, an RJ31X phone jack, and a transformer.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-CONCORD-4-ATP1000-STARTER-PACKAGE-80-966-4-HOME-SECURITY-SYSTEM-/171624784557?pt=US_Surveillance_Security_Systems&hash=item27f5a262ad

FYI you can get a kit with all that plus three wireless door contacts, and a wireless motion sensor for $187 as well.
http://www.homesecuritystore.com/ge-interlogix-80-860-4

Thanks, not too bad of a price but I would still like to build the homemade one; would you suggest relays or some sort of other panel (microcontrollers, arduino, transistor, etc.)

If you go the relay route you can build a very simple cheap panel that disarms with a key switch… real easy to defeat though as it is an outdated design… a burglar could rip down the key switch and short together the wires.

If you go the microcontroller route then I am going to bet it will end up costing you quite a lot, approaching the cost of a real system. It’s a lot more involved… an Arduino is $30 and you need extra components like resistors and diodes and capacitors, and if you want to add an LCD then that’s another $30.

If you build a homemade one then TEST TEST TEST. Make sure it is as bulletproof as you can make it so it does not spontaneously fail.

If you go the real system route then you have something that you know works because it has been engineered and tested and proven to function exactly as it needs to.

There is an advantage to building your own: Knowledge. By building your own you learn electrical and electronics skills which could help you in the future someday. My Alertek 8005 & i8005 homemade panels did this for me.

I will definitely go the relay route. The key switch would be hidden and unmarked (and most of the burglars that ever come in my neighborhood are the dumbass heroin addicts from across town).
The panel location is in a closet in the basement. This is where the original wires are directed too so I cant really move it. Also the alarm would be instant ( I only need about 10 seconds to load my 12 gauge and call the cops). That brings me to another point…a homemade dialer

Concord 4… Best route…

Can you PM me the model of keypad? I may like it :smiley:

I recommend replacing your old panel with a new one instead of a DIY box of relays. By installing a new system you get a UL listed panel, which is important for your insurance discount. It will have all the things you would have to DIY already built in, like battery charger and central station communicator. Most are hybrid systems which can be wired and/or wireless. A basic panel with a keypad, battery, and transformer can be gotten at a reasonable price. It will have options for complete system arming (away) or just perimeter arming when you are home. You can add other accessories later, like motion detectors, etc.

Like I said, I know a professional system is ideal (insurance, etc.) but I just want the experience of building one and the satisfaction of protecting my home with something I built. So I just want some ideas on how to build a homemade security panel, not info or facts about a pre-built alarm system.

There’s not really much to discuss… A DIY security panel is essentially a latching relay.

Wait, was your FBII security panel protecting your house? If so, then I wouldn’t recommend anything other than having a professional install a new one (Concord 4 would be my recommendation, because I’m no longer familiar with DSC’s stuff), because, if a burglar figures out how to disable your relay system, all the stuff in your house is at risk of being stolen, and it will be your fault. It also won’t be monitored, so even if it does go off, no one will know.
Now, if it’s a demonstration system on a board, that’s a different story…

Actually ended up not making my own and getting a Ademco one installed!

Ah, good.

Who is installing the system? I assume it’s a Vista of some sort.

I installed it, Vista 20P with two custom alpha numeric keypads.