Security System + Power Outage = All kinds of errors

Anything related to security system panels, installations, and other stuff.
Firealarm251
Casual Participant
Casual Participant
YouTube Username: firealarm251

Sat May 09, 2015 2:09 am

Background: House built in '09. Some "On-Q" security system with GE Keypad and Honeywell 747 siren (rebranded by Ademco).

We lost power around 1 am yesterday night. Parents woke up to hear keypad beeping. Bypassed it. Went back to sleep.

Fast forward to the next day. I get home from school, greet my dog and whatnot. All of a sudden I hear some loud crackling noise from the laundry room area. Confused, I investigate. I find the keypad flashing "Fire" rapidly and the yellow service light is on. Obviously my house wasn't on fire, we don't even have a smoke detector hooked up to the security system (unsafe I know). I hear the crackling noise from the ceiling, and look up to find that it's coming from the 747 siren. My dad later told me that a transformer blew from the power outage, and the system was relying on slowly depleting battery power. I believe the crackling was caused from the siren (set on Woop btw, not constant beep) not getting enough power to fully function. Could it be that the siren wanted to sound but didn't get enough power from the system, so it kept burping in and out? Or could the power outage have blown the siren to where it didn't function properly? I'm curious about this.
Am I the only one who think Spectralert Advances should be eliminated from this planet?
nightfly287
Wiki Team Member
Wiki Team Member

Sat May 09, 2015 1:26 pm

Is your security system hooked up to some sort of surge arrester circuit? There could have been a power spike before the outage.
nightfly287 -- Director of Sarcasm
Firealarm251
Casual Participant
Casual Participant

Sat May 09, 2015 6:10 pm

Lambda wrote:Back in the early 2000's, the On-Q systems were re-branded HAI systems, and HAI is now Leviton. They must have changed brands since then because the HAI systems don't have a red and yellow LED on the keypads. If you take a picture of your keypad and post it on here, someone on here could probably tell you what brand the unit REALLY is (I doubt On-Q manufactures their own panels).
I just guessed it was On-Q because the metal cover over the panel on the wall says On-Q on it. The keypad looks like this:Image
And my dad already unplugged the battery, so all the info I have about it is that the transformer blew somehow. He's more electrically talented than I am, I don't like to mess with wires and stuff :mrgreen:
The Big Green wrote:Is your security system hooked up to some sort of surge arrester circuit? There could have been a power spike before the outage.

Not sure if it is, most likely it would be though.
Am I the only one who think Spectralert Advances should be eliminated from this planet?
Firealarm251
Casual Participant
Casual Participant

Mon May 11, 2015 4:52 pm

Update: I overheard my dad saying he's gonna call the security company to look at upgrading the system. Here's what the system looks like now:
Keypad.jpg
Keypad.jpg (30.47 KiB) Viewed 1728 times
Security Keypad
Siren.jpg
Siren.jpg (21.99 KiB) Viewed 1728 times
Siren
On-Q.jpg
On-Q.jpg (11.08 KiB) Viewed 1728 times
On-Q Panel Thing

And a motion detector that I will have to add in another post because file limit of 3.
Firealarm251
Casual Participant
Casual Participant

Mon May 11, 2015 4:53 pm

And here's the motion detector (smoke detector is on its own interconnected system):
Motion.jpg
Motion.jpg (21.29 KiB) Viewed 1728 times
When (if even) my system gets replaced I will update you all with pics.
Firealarm251
Casual Participant
Casual Participant

Mon May 11, 2015 6:27 pm

My dad is very cautious when it comes to buying large things (cars, pool, and this case). And we were gonna move the smoke alarm when the molding was being done to allow for a full molding with no cut out as you see there, but it never happened.
chris+s
Fire Alarm Technician
Fire Alarm Technician

Tue May 12, 2015 6:49 pm

Lambda wrote: Also, I thought I remember them not recommending mounting smoke detectors in the corners like that. Something about them being in a dead zone? But can't find that information, maybe they changed it. But when you leave it to an electrician to install life safety devices...
It used to be you couldn't mount any detectors within 4" of the wall but that changed, it now only applies to heat detectors, not smoke detectors.
Firealarm251
Casual Participant
Casual Participant

Wed May 13, 2015 5:00 pm

Security tech came today. He replaced the transformer, and the only thing left is a new battery. No system replacements in the near future :(
ccs46
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant
YouTube Username: ccs4646

Wed May 13, 2015 9:13 pm

Lambda wrote:Aye Dee Tee
Why do you spell it out? O_o
Chris Sprague - Overseer of Sarcasm
kcin556
Administrator
Administrator
YouTube Username: kcin556

Thu May 14, 2015 7:51 am

If I remember correctly, it's censored to prevent the bad press the company usually gets on the site, as well as the older DFA site that no longer exists, from showing up when the company name is searched.
Nick - Administrator
Please send me a PM if you experience any issues or have any concerns. Thank you!
kcin556 on YouTube
NewAgeServer
Administrator
Administrator
YouTube Username: NewAgeServerAlarm

Thu May 14, 2015 8:57 am

Yeah that's exactly why I have a word censor on that acronym.
Andrew Davis -- Chief Administrator & Site Owner
The Fire Panel & The Fire Panel Forums
All questions or concerns, please PM here or email at newageserver@thefirepanel.com

My Fire Alarm Site
YouTube Channel