Four-wire NA's on Ademco panels

Post here if you need help with something related to security systems.
Forum rules
Do NOT publicly post default codes for ANY security system or fire alarm panel.
(Rule #8)
Robert A
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant
YouTube Username: Aslin Fire Safety

Sun May 26, 2013 11:28 pm

Hello, it's me, Netscape128 from the "other" forum.

I've been looking at some of Ademco's panels for hobbiest fire/security systems but I'm wondering if four-wire NA's can be used. For instance, if I want to use a Spectralert Classic P1224MC as a combination security sounder/fire alarm NA, how would I get the strobe to work so that it's not coded to the panel? I've heard that the panel codes the sounder circuits to pulse for burglar and code-3 for fire, but I'm not sure how many notification appliance circuits there are. To make a long story short: Help. :| :lol:
Destin
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
YouTube Username: thesdx

Mon May 27, 2013 1:06 pm

The Ademco Vista 32FB and 128FB are the only panels that could support 4-wire notification appliances out of the box. If you want to have non-coded operation for the strobe on regular Vista security panels, you could run the auxiliary power through an alarm relay, but I wouldn't recommend this for anything other than a hobby setup.
Destin L. (thesdx)
My Website — FireAlarmCollector.com
My YouTube Channel
I'm no longer very active on here, but if you wish to contact me, feel free to send me a PM. :wink:
Magnum Alert
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:25 pm

If you're using an FB panel, one bell output will be for burglary and the other for fire (programmed per zone in #93 menu mode). you can't program one bell output to be (for instance) steady for burglary and pulsed for fire like the smaller Vista panels do.

for a small Vista panel like a 20SE or 20P, you have one bell output.

You can use a generic bell supervision module like a DMP 866 or Radionics D192. These connect to the aux power of the panel, and they have a supervised NAC output on them. They also connect to a zone on the host panel (your Vista) to indicate a NAC trouble. you could program a zone on the Vista as a trouble or auxiliary zone to indicate a trouble when this card's NAC is in trouble. This module triggers the NAC output via a low-current 12V input. On a 20P, you can use one of the onboard triggers T17 or T18, programmed to go low on a fire alarm, to trigger the bell module. Since it's in the same enclosure as the Vista, it meets the requirements of NFPA.

I may or may not have one of these floating around in my "inventory". here's a basic diagram:

Bell Supv Card Vista-20P Panel
----------------- -------------------
aux (+)--------------------------------------------(+) aux + terminal 5
pwr in (-)---------------------------------------------(-) aux - terminal 4

supv ()---------------------------------------------() Zn 8 hi (example, zone 8 indicates NAC trouble)
zone ()---------------------------------------------() Zn 8 low

trigger (+)---------------------------------------------(+) aux + terminal 5
input (-)----------------------------------------------T17 output, normally hi, goes low on any fire alarm (provides negative power)

signal (+)----------------- To
circuit (-)------------------ A/Vs
Service Technician

Specializing in Ademco/First Alert, Napco, GE NetworX, DSC, DMP, and Moose.
Magnum Alert
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:12 pm

however, honestly, I'd either use an FB panel with 2-wire A/Vs on bell 2, and a standard 747/Wave 2 siren on bell 1. program all your burglary devices to trip bell 1, program all the fire zones to trip bell 2.

you could also use a voice siren driver on a 20p panel.

Last bumped by Robert A on Mon Jul 08, 2013 9:12 pm.
Service Technician

Specializing in Ademco/First Alert, Napco, GE NetworX, DSC, DMP, and Moose.