Security Siren ??

For a residential security system is a hardwired siren sufficient enough to be used for both burglary and fire alarm conditions or do you need smoke detectors with internal sounders. Like one siren outside of the sleeping area to alert both burglary and fire with regular hardwired smokes like the system sensor 2w-B for example, thanks.

1 Like

Codes vary but usually as long as you have the minimum dB, it doesn’t matter where the siren is located. Typically, you have to measure the decibel at the pillow, door closed, with any “normal” appliances running (humidifier, air conditioner, fan). Most panels can support smokes with integrated sounders (all can when you use 4-wire) so sometimes that’s your best bet. Also, make sure the siren you use is listed for household burglary and fire and properly supervised by the control panel.

1 Like

Thanks, is the Honeywell wave 2 rated for both, if not do you know of any brands or sirens that may be good for the application. Also could you use the new system sensor low frequency horn only white version for this application. Its would be coded by the panel temp. for fire and then steady for burg.

1 Like

I’m not sure off hand if the Wave 2 is listed, there should be a label on the siren itself indicating as such. But you have to look at the manual for the security system to see what the requirements are. This is from the DSC 832 manual:

“For UL installations, when a bell or siren is used for fire signaling with a pulsed cadence, it must be connected between the AUX+ and BELL- terminals. To maintain bell circuit supervision, do not connect more than one device to the BELL- terminal. A fire bell or siren used for this application must be UL Listed and have a current consumption of 400mA or less (e.g. Wheelock MT-12/24-R).”

So basically, follow the instructions in the manual to maintain the listing. They should also list compatible devices including 2 wire smokes and notification (sirens). Looking at the Vista 20P manual, they don’t list the Wave 2 as “compatible” but do list the 747 as compatible.

At the end of the day, if you are really concerned about audibility and maintaining the listing, go with sounder smokes. Then you can install any additional sirens and don’t need to worry about if they are loud enough or listed. As far as the low frequency sounders, again use them if compatible.

1 Like

Ok thanks. I would assume that if the system is DMP that a siren sold by DMP like the 335 or the 1135 would be just fine.

1 Like

What is the model of the panel?

1 Like

DMP XR150

1 Like

Well, the DMP XR150 manual isn’t very clear. But looking at the series listing guide (page 43 - Section 18) outlines the requirements for Household Fire Warning Systems. I don’t see any list of compatible sirens (there may not be a specific requirement for this manufacturer) so I would guess that any siren that says it’s listed for household fire (check for a sticker) would be fine. Keep it below the current rating of the output, do the proper battery calculations, and supervise the circuits. I’ve never personally installed these systems so I’m just going by what I see in the manuals.

1 Like

If you want to you decide, but you don’t have to if you don’t want to btw.