Gas Station Fire Supression

An area to discuss extinguishers and suppression systems.
U8oL0
YouTube Username: jjinc24

Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:11 am

Here's an interesting video from Pyrochem on how outdoor Gasoline Station fire suppression systems works. I've seen suppression systems installed in some gas stations, but I've definitely seen stations where a suppression system isn't installed.

Also included in the video are computer renderings of a dual action Simplex Tbar, an Autopulse Z-10 panel (Simplex 4004R), and a Wheelock MT.

Also, here's a video of one of these systems in action:
lilrags16
Serious Participant
Serious Participant
YouTube Username: lilrags16

Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:39 am

I have NEVER seen a gas station system...
Are their common in Colorado(I believe you down in there)?
Brandon,
If i offend you, remember i'm a stubborn, rebellious, hypocritical kid that hates change...
My YouTube
Around once in a while! :D
chris+s
Fire Alarm Technician
Fire Alarm Technician

Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:13 am

I saw a lot of these around Boston, but I've never seen one in the Midwest.

Some jurisdictions require them, but I'd say most don't.
U8oL0
YouTube Username: jjinc24

Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:20 am

lilrags16 wrote:I have NEVER seen a gas station system...
Like Firefly said, I pretty much only see these at newer gas stations (like the Costco gas station near my house, which is where I fuel up most of the time). I have no clue what the requirements are though.
NewAgeServer
Administrator
Administrator
YouTube Username: NewAgeServerAlarm

Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:23 am

It depends on local or state codes, I have determined. When I took a road trip to the South (Tennessee) I noticed that gas stations stopped having suppression systems after leaving New England. Just about every station in Maine, NH, VT, and Mass that I have been to has a suppression system installed. I guess the deal is that if it is not required by local fire codes, who's going to pay the extra expense of installing it, even if it actually does good and saves someone in a gas station fire?
Andrew Davis -- Chief Administrator & Site Owner
The Fire Panel & The Fire Panel Forums
All questions or concerns, please PM here or email at newageserver@thefirepanel.com

My Fire Alarm Site
YouTube Channel
chris+s
Fire Alarm Technician
Fire Alarm Technician

Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:16 pm

NewAgeServer wrote:It depends on local or state codes, I have determined. When I took a road trip to the South (Tennessee) I noticed that gas stations stopped having suppression systems after leaving New England. Just about every station in Maine, NH, VT, and Mass that I have been to has a suppression system installed. I guess the deal is that if it is not required by local fire codes, who's going to pay the extra expense of installing it, even if it actually does good and saves someone in a gas station fire?
In all honesty though, how often do catastrophic massive gas station explosions happen? Is a few billion spent annually in suppression for gas stations really necessary to protect against an extremely rare occurrence? Especially when most of the fuel is largely protected in an underground tank with a disconnect switch to stop the flow of gas?

Safety can go too far just as easily as it can be neglected.
NewAgeServer
Administrator
Administrator
YouTube Username: NewAgeServerAlarm

Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:12 pm

Well I think that if it can stop a fire before it ignites the gasoline and potentially causes an explosion then why not?

At the very least install a tank monitoring system to warn of pressure in the tank building up -- which could lead to an explosion.
Andrew Davis -- Chief Administrator & Site Owner
The Fire Panel & The Fire Panel Forums
All questions or concerns, please PM here or email at newageserver@thefirepanel.com

My Fire Alarm Site
YouTube Channel
Fire Alarm Fan
Serious Participant
Serious Participant

Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:42 pm

Cool video. They did a pretty good job recreating a Simplex dual-action T-Bar. As for systems, I've never really looked close, but alot of stations around here (MN area) do have Fuel Shutoff switch stations (usually STI Stopper® Stations under the Stopper covers) near the entrance to the store. I'll have to look more closely the next time.
Newest FA Device: Gamewell M69 pulls
Coming Soon:
Newest Smoke: BRK 79R
Signal Alert
Casual Participant
Casual Participant
YouTube Username: SignalAlert

Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:50 pm

U8oL0 wrote:
lilrags16 wrote:I have NEVER seen a gas station system...
Like Firefly said, I pretty much only see these at newer gas stations (like the Costco gas station near my house, which is where I fuel up most of the time). I have no clue what the requirements are though.
The gas station near me burn down in 2011. They had no sprinklers and they now have them after it was rebuilt.
Signal Alert
New Fire Alarm Videos Every Other Week

YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/signalalert
lilrags16
Serious Participant
Serious Participant
YouTube Username: lilrags16

Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:14 am

Lambda wrote: Sprinklers at a gas station? Do you mean a self-contained suppression system? I've never seen a wet pipe sprinkler system for a stand alone gas station.
I think that's what they mean. Water would make it worse, rather than better...
Brandon,
If i offend you, remember i'm a stubborn, rebellious, hypocritical kid that hates change...
My YouTube
Around once in a while! :D