Can someone explain part of a sprinkler system?

An area to discuss extinguishers and suppression systems.
lilrags16
Serious Participant
Serious Participant
YouTube Username: lilrags16

Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:42 pm

Can someone explain part of a sprinkler system? I see them all over, vaguely understand some parts.
Brandon,
If i offend you, remember i'm a stubborn, rebellious, hypocritical kid that hates change...
My YouTube
Around once in a while! :D
Paul UofL
Fire Alarm Technician
Fire Alarm Technician

Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:22 pm

Nice explaination so far.

Which part of a system did have a question on?
Paul
lilrags16
Serious Participant
Serious Participant

Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:26 pm

Paul UofL wrote:Nice explaination so far.

Which part of a system did have a question on?
Paul
If you have fire hose mounted thru a building, are they hooked to the riser?
Brandon,
If i offend you, remember i'm a stubborn, rebellious, hypocritical kid that hates change...
My YouTube
lilrags16
Serious Participant
Serious Participant

Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:15 pm

Firefly wrote:I assume you must be thinking of Standpipe, and yes, often times the sprinkler system and Standpipe are often fed from the same riser. A very common practice is to have a wet valve that supplies a Standpipe riser, or several. In multi-story buildings for example, you would have a Standpipe riser in each egress stairway with a hose valve at each landing. In addition to the hose valve, you would also have your zone control here for the sprinkler system. The zone control is essentially an OS+Y or Butterfly valve, a flow switch, water gauge, and drain assembly. Each floor's sprinkler system could then be its own zone and could be shut down and isolated for maintenance.

Standpipe and sprinkler can also be arranged together like this in large, single story buildings, too, but the multi-level scenario is a much better example to visualize.
Well this a factory, and they do wood work so i was wondering.

On building that there riser has a huge AC pump, what happens without power?
Brandon,
My YouTube
chris+s
Fire Alarm Technician
Fire Alarm Technician

Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:33 pm

lilrags16 wrote: Well this a factory, and they do wood work so i was wondering.

The fire pump should be tied into the fire alarm system so they know if the pump isn't working or the power is out. Regardless, if power goes out, city water isn't working (water main break, whatever), a fire pumper truck will hook up to the FDC (fire department connection) and pump water into the system.

That's the entire point of the FDC, it's a fire hose connection looking thing on the outside of buildings so fire trucks can bring water into the system or add to the pressure, etc. Sometimes it's as easy as running a hose from a a fire hydrant on the street to the FDC. This is the backup plan if the normal building water supply isn't working.
lilrags16
Serious Participant
Serious Participant

Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:56 pm

chris+s wrote:
lilrags16 wrote: Well this a factory, and they do wood work so i was wondering.

The fire pump should be tied into the fire alarm system so they know if the pump isn't working or the power is out. Regardless, if power goes out, city water isn't working (water main break, whatever), a fire pumper truck will hook up to the FDC (fire department connection) and pump water into the system.

That's the entire point of the FDC, it's a fire hose connection looking thing on the outside of buildings so fire trucks can bring water into the system or add to the pressure, etc. Sometimes it's as easy as running a hose from a a fire hydrant on the street to the FDC. This is the backup plan if the normal building water supply isn't working.
My middle school does not have one, whats that mean?
Brandon,
My YouTube
chris+s
Fire Alarm Technician
Fire Alarm Technician

Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:32 pm

There's usually a bell above the FDC, sometimes controlled by the fire alarm system (through water flow switches), sometimes directly from the sprinkler system somehow. Firefly or someone else can elaborate on how that tie in works exactly.