Halon Actuator Operation

[attachment=2]IMG_2236.JPG[/attachment]So I’ve had this Halon bottle actuator connected to my Ansul panel ever since I installed that system 4 years ago, but I’ve never actually seen it do anything. It generates a magnetic field when activated (the metal pin hanging on the chain and other metal objects with stick to it) but none of the parts move. Should there be some visual confirmation that the unit activated? The red plunger on top does move manually up and down as if to reset the unit but I don’t know which position it should be in, pushed all the way down, or up where the hole for the pin is accessible?

[attachment=1]IMG_2237.JPG[/attachment]

Should the plunger be in the “up” position so that it is ready for discharge on activation…

[attachment=0]IMG_2238.JPG[/attachment]

…or the down position?

Up ready to fire, should have a pin inserted in hole to prevent accidental firing. In a fire scenario, and the solenoid below that red handle fails to release, you pull pin, and pushdown. It’s a manual release, the fact that the solenoid becomes magnetized means it’s probably working.

If you don’t mind me asking, what is the device connected to? If you found out the solenoid was magnetized, did you disable a tank? If you have exercised that red handle, seems like you won’t have to ask this question. I would have thought you might have released something. That seems like an odd place for a control head, are you sure it does anything? Unless that fitting turns back thru the wall, and there is a tank somewhere else, that device is there incorrectly.

The operation of that control head may be the least of your worries. If this is an operational, active , halon system, it would be a good time to do an inspection of the system. I’m talking full functional test to make sure all is in order.

Hope this has helped.

The actuator is not connected to anything. It is part of a demonstration system, so it is just mounted onto a plywood board as you see in the images. The tank was left in the building when this system was removed; I set up the remainder of the system just to serve as an example of how these systems once worked.

Thanks for the information!