Resi Sprinkler System Flow Switch Wiring

An area to discuss extinguishers and suppression systems.
kjhs09
Casual Participant
Casual Participant

Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:44 pm

I have been working on a rewire of a remodel, and the fire sprinkler system was recently put in. The riser is outdoors. The only thing the sprinkler fitters did was install the flow switch, which is a System Sensor WFDTN. What is the preferred method to wire a bell to one? I would assume running thwn in sealtite from the flowswitch to a weatherproof single gang, sealtite inside the wall to the bell backbox, fed off of a dedicated circuit?
The local grammar nazi!
Robert A
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant
YouTube Username: Aslin Fire Safety

Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:24 am

Does the system have a FACP? I know some places don't require a FA system if the building is fully sprinklered (or old enough to be grandfathered in). If it does (and the system is addressable) you could use a monitor module to hook that switch to the panel, and set it to only output the sprinkler bell if tripped.
Robert Aslin
My YouTube Channel | Aslin Fire Safety
If you need to contact me for any reason, you may email me at aslinrobert15(at)gmail.com.
Robert A
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant
YouTube Username: Aslin Fire Safety

Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:27 am

Edit: Just realized it's a residential system. Yeah, you could run a bell off a dedicated circuit.
Robert Aslin
My YouTube Channel | Aslin Fire Safety
If you need to contact me for any reason, you may email me at aslinrobert15(at)gmail.com.
kmaysob
Fire Alarm Technician
Fire Alarm Technician

Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:44 am

Standard practice is to use a 120v bell . The flow switch will be used to switch the HOTs only with the common and normally open contacts on one side of the switch . The other side will be reserved for a facp.