Fire Alarms in Buildings (2.0)

Discussion of all things related to fire alarms, including alarm systems, fire alarm collections, sirens, sprinklers, fire drills, evacuations, actual fires, building architecture, other kinds of safety drills like tornado and earthquake drills and such, etc.
Housedays
Serious Participant
Serious Participant

BradH wrote:My mother and I were just at the local (and recently opened) Target, and they have white Spectralert Advance horn-only units, no strobes. No idea what else they have there since it it's part of a larger mall. The Zellers that used to be there had Faraday 10" bells, and the rest of the building has an old MXL system with U-MMT mini-horns.
That Target doesn't have remote strobes on the ceiling? My local Target (not part of a mall) has red Wheelock NHs on the support beams and white Wheelock RSSs on the ceiling.
nightfly287
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Housedays wrote: That Target doesn't have remote strobes on the ceiling?
Strobes aren't widely used in Canada, where BradH lives.
nightfly287 -- Director of Sarcasm
wiley209
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

Tonight I was at a Halloween party at the Knights of Columbus building in Whitman, MA. They have an older fire alarm system from the 1980s that I was kinda surprised to see. It wasn't anything too special though; the alarms were Wheelock 34T horns, the pulls were Edwards "Local Alarm" 270-SPOs and they also had Chemtronics metal 500-series heat detectors on the ceilings. It was probably a small Fire-Lite system or something.
I was also kind of surprised by the lack of visual signals. You'd think if they were going with Wheelock signals, they'd either have used 7002Ts, or even install the 34Ts on AV32 light plates...
wiley209
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

South Station in Boston, MA had a few updates. In the main lobby and the main entrance area, the alarm signals are now mostly Wheelock STH-15S loudspeakers with RSS strobes next to them. Outside at the train station platform area, they now have Wheelock ET70WP speaker/strobes. But the food court, ticket office and other areas still have the older Wheelock ET speaker/strobes (with the 7002T-style strobe on top), and the temporary mens' room has Wheelock E70 speaker/strobes, along with a couple of VA4 speaker/strobes.
But yesterday, the electrical closet was open and I could see the fire alarm panels in it. The big surprise is, the station now has a SIMPLEX system! There was a 4100U voice-evacuation panel, along with a few other auxiliary and transponder panels. That really surprised me, because the initiating devices from the previous Kidde system are still intact (those black-and-red pull stations rebranded by Kidde, older Adaemco/Pyrotector smoke detectors, etc.), though I did see a Simplex 2098-9808 alarm indicator above an office door.
With the renovations going on in some areas of the station, I wouldn't be surprised if some of Simplex's trademarks begin to show up around the place (like TrueAlarm smoke detectors or their T-bar pull stations), even if they continue using Wheelock speaker/strobes (I am pretty sure Simplex installed those new speaker/strobes I mentioned.)

And they also had a Simplex 6351 master time panel for controlling that large old clock in the main lobby:
The interesting thing is, this is actually a vintage Simplex clock! Maybe that's why.
wiley209
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

There's a children's hospital in Boston that has a somewhat surprising type of fire alarm system. As I may have said, Simplex is rather common in Boston, particularly voice-evac. This is one of them, but it's an older one. It has the red Federal Selectone speakers (a.k.a. Simplex 4090 "bullseye" speakers) behind 2903 visual plates (IDK if they are light or strobe versions.) They also have 4251-20 pull stations, and I also saw one of those old 4259-36 smoke detectors (the ones made by ESL in the late 1970s and early 1980s.)
But the REALLY big surprise was the panel setup, located right in the main lobby. They actually have a Simplex 2001 voice-evacuation setup! There were several red-cabinet 2001s, along with one having an emergency telephone and mic. I also saw a couple of auxiliary panels of some sort in the same style, but with different-looking indicator lights. It is most likely from the early 1980s.
This was a real surprise to me, as Simplex 2001 systems are REALLY rare nowadays, and older Simplex systems are generally pretty rare in Boston (many were replaced with newer Simplex systems.) I was actually expecting the place to have a 4100-series system of some sort. Someone did mention some time next year or the year after that, they will upgrade to a newer Simplex system (probably the 4100ES.)

Usually the most common alarm company types I have seen in Boston are Edwards/EST, Simplex and the Honeywell family. There are a few occasional Cerberus Pyrotronics/Siemens systems, but that's it. Even South Station is upgrading from Kidde to Simplex (North Station already has a full Simplex system, though.)
The norm I would see for EST systems would be Genesis and sometimes Integrity signals (varying between horn/strobe and speaker/strobe), and usually the 270 or 27B-style pulls, and the panel being an EST-2 or -3 or similar. The norm for Simplex is 4903 or TrueAlert-series signals (varying between horn/strobe and speaker/strobe), TrueAlarm smoke detectors and 2099/4099 pulls, and the panel being a 4100-series model.
nightfly287
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

@Wiley

That's kind of creepy... Simplex 4030 posted an identical setup in this same topic!

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3347&p=47747#p47747

Neat, huh?
nightfly287 -- Director of Sarcasm
EdwardsFan
Fire Alarm Technician
Fire Alarm Technician
YouTube Username: Mircomfan

Tonight I got to hear the fire alarm system at my work for a second time. It was another false alarm, but this one wasn't caused by a child pulling it. This time, around 11:10pm, the utility guys at my work were cleaning the dishwasher, and when they opened it up, all the steam from the machine rose up, and set of the heat detector right above it. I was at the front and thought the kitchen was on fire, until I went back and realized it was just a false alarm. Like the last time I did help my manager out with resetting the panel and such.

I do have a short clip, since I didn't catch the action at first, of the alarms going off for a round of code 3. The panel we have is a Mircom 1025T, and with these panels, the alarm silence switches have to be switched back first to reset the panel, causing the alarms to go off a second time.

"Never forget your history, Nor your destiny." - Bob Marley
U-MMTeen
Casual Participant
Casual Participant

I'm in my new office. We have one SpectrAlert and a Gentex strobe. Like I've mention in my last post in here, the building has a whole mish-mash of fire alarms, including a 34T, SpectrAlert Advance, and a few older ones that I don't know the names
This girl is on fire!
wiley209
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

There's a huge Macy's in Boston near my Transitions to Work program, with a late 1990s Notifier voice-evac system. It has Wheelock E70 speaker/strobes, Notifier addressable smoke detectors and Notifier-branded BG-10Ls (and at least one BG-12.)
This morning as I passed by they were working on the alarm system there, and I could hear some of the evacuation message. It mentioned something about separate floor alarms, as this Macy's is also connected to a high-rise.
This was also the first voice-evacuation system I heard in person that wasn't a Simplex system!
kcin556
Administrator
Administrator
YouTube Username: kcin556

Here's a heat detector, 5 inches above a steam pipe, in 1962 nuclear fallout shelter. Not that uncommon of an alarm, but its location is pretty cool.
Attachments
photo.JPG
photo.JPG (156.75 KiB) Viewed 4114 times
Nick - Administrator
Please send me a PM if you experience any issues or have any concerns. Thank you!
kcin556 on YouTube
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant
YouTube Username: Goldenrod636

A florist shop near where I work has Simplex TrueAlerts with Simplex pull stations. The bathroom and the small rooms have strobe only. Pulls are dual action Simplex T-Bars.
I'm exclusively on Skype now. Add me at amazee_dayzee. I don't do voice or video chats though.