What alarm do you have at work/school

Discussion of all things related to fire alarms, including alarm systems, fire alarm collections, sirens, sprinklers, fire drills, evacuations, actual fires, building architecture, other kinds of safety drills like tornado and earthquake drills and such, etc.
idontwannaknow
Serious Participant
Serious Participant

Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:54 am

EpicFireAlarms wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:59 am
but it would seem that in addition to the ceiling replacement every classroom that didn't previously have a device got a Wheelock STRC ceiling-mount strobe.
Wow, I didn’t know they still install remote strobes in classrooms!
idontwannaknow / he/him / 17 / im bored lol
EpicFireAlarms
Casual Participant
Casual Participant
YouTube Username: EpicFireAlarms
Instagram: epic_fire_alarms

Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:17 am

idontwannaknow wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:54 am
Wow, I didn’t know they still install remote strobes in classrooms!
Neither did I. I was expecting the classrooms to each get an HSRC, but I will say because my school is like 50 years old most of the classrooms are smaller than what you'd typically find in a newer building. I'm thinking that maybe the classrooms were small enough to warrent just a remote strobe (some of which only have capacity for 12 or so students), but all of the "medium size" classrooms (which make up most of the wing) also got an STRC. The only classrooms that have horn/strobes in this wing are the double-size rooms (capacity of about 40 or so people) and the lecture hall. Out of like 20 or 24 classrooms in this wing total, as far as I know only about 6 have horn/strobes.
idontwannaknow
Serious Participant
Serious Participant

Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:41 pm

Maybe it’s the installer or the school itself. Ive seen buildings that either got a new system or were built recently that go really remote strobe-happy.
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant
YouTube Username: Goldenrod636

Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:58 pm

I'd assume that it has something to do with new requirements that are in place for renovations which is why they put the strobes in.
I'm exclusively on Skype now. Add me at amazee_dayzee. I don't do voice or video chats though.
EsterBuddyAM

Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:58 pm

Well! At my current college there's a Voice Evac system that I've not heard yet! They have BG-12(LX?)s and SpectrAlert Speaker/strobes. The one room I'm often in has a white ceiling mount speaker/strobe as opposed to most being red wall speaker/strobes. That's all I know for now. Definitely not anywhere near as interesting as the systems they've had in previous schools I've gone to.
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:50 pm

Do you know what sort of system if any was there before the SpectAlert Advance speaker/strobes?
I'm exclusively on Skype now. Add me at amazee_dayzee. I don't do voice or video chats though.
idontwannaknow
Serious Participant
Serious Participant

Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:14 pm

Simplex 4051 wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:50 pm
Do you know what sort of system if any was there before the SpectAlert Advance speaker/strobes?
I think they mean Classic SpectrAlerts.
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:42 am

OK that is true and it could be what they meant. Do you know what the system was previously before it was upgrade?
cerbpyro
Casual Participant
Casual Participant

Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:13 pm

I have been singing professionally with a church choir in my area for just over a month now, and we had a fire alarm test last week during and after rehearsal, so here's the system. The church is one large building made up of four distinct structures, all of which were recently connected to form the one large structure. By far, the notification appliances are the most interesting part.

System Control---Full Campus

-Simplex 4100ES---Main Control Panel (probably in a boiler or electrical room somewhere)
Simplex 4100-9607+4100-1292---4100ES Remote Command Center w/ Voice Capabilities (Main Vestibule)
Simplex 4603-9101---Remote Annunciators (I've seen three scattered around the campus)

Initiation Devices

Main Sanctuary+Vestibule
Simplex 4099-9004 Pull Stations
Simplex 4098-9792+4098-9714 TrueAlarm Addressable Smoke Sensors
Music Department Wing+Administrative Wings
A*T 5050-001 Pull Stations
System Sensor 2100 Smoke Sensors
System Sensor i3 2W-B Smoke Sensors (spot-replacements)
Multipurpose Hall/Dining Hall
Fire-Lite BG-12L Pull Stations
System Sensor i3 2W-B Smoke Sensors
System Sensor 5600 Heat Sensors
Christian Education Wing+Small Chapel
Simplex 4251-20 Pull Stations
Simplex 4098-9788+4098-9601 TrueAlarm Conventional Smoke Sensors (probably replacing older sensors)

Notification Devices

Main Sanctuary+Vestibule
Simplex 4906-9153 TrueAlert Speaker/Strobes
Simplex 4906-9157 TrueAlert Speaker Strobes
Simplex 4906-9103 Remote Strobes
**The system plays the Fast Whoop and Default Message, All Strobes Synced**
Music Department Wing+Administrative
System Sensor MASS-241575ADAS Sounder/Sync-Strobes
System Sensor SS24-1575ADAS Remote Sync Strobes
**Steady Coding, Swept Frequency Tone, All Strobes Synced**
Multipurpose Hall/Dining Hall
System Sensor P1224MCW SpectrAlert Classic Horn/Strobes
System Sensor SCW Remote Strobes
**Temporal 3 Coding, Mechanical Horn Tone, All Signals Synced**
Christian Education Wing+Small Chapel
Simplex 2901-9838+4903-9101 Horn/Strobe Plates
Simplex 4904-9101 Remote Strobes
**Temporal 3 Coding, Strobes Flash Continuously**
Steven Davis
K-12 Music Education Major
Drum Major---2019 GC Marching Pride
Principal Chair Bassoonist---GC Wind Ensemble
Self-Proclaimed Orch Dork :D
#Volvo4Life
pilotsam8
New User
New User
YouTube Username: SPS8
Instagram: elevatorsoflakecounty

Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:57 am

At my school, we have Simplex TrueAlert Horn Strobes. At my work, we have Spectralert Classic Horn Strobes.
idontwannaknow
Serious Participant
Serious Participant

Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:56 am

Ok I want to make this post to explain the way Siemens installed the new MNS system in my school, as well as the blue lockdown strobes (essentially functioning as my schools “POLICE” system, just with no pulls). Honestly, the way these are installed is kinda strange when comparing the west building (ZH horn/strobes). Every classroom, bathroom, and other rooms in that building have the notification appliance in the dead or close center, and all hallways have horn/strobes in a row or atleast formatted in a pattern. Thats the way it is in the west building.

The east building, where the new ALERT lettered ceiling speaker/strobe alarms are have some weird placements, like how in the classrooms, it’s either really close to the front of the classroom or close to the back of the classroom, which can be really noticable in double rooms.

Hallway speaker/strobes and remote speakers will vary in any way. Plus, there are lots of instances where the alarm is really close to the wall or on the corner of a hallway section, and others when its actually in the center of the hall.

The gym and pool (both ceiling mounts, pool has weatherproof NAs) have really uneven grid mountings where the alarm would be inches away from the wall on one end but not the other.

The commons area has randomized speakers and speaker/strobes scattered

The leveled conference rooms have the remote strobe in the corner of the ceiling or the side. Same with bathrooms although the speaker/strobes are close to the door.

Outdoor alarms are pretty badly mounted— two ceiling mountable speaker/strobes on only one side of the school’s huge open square space inclosed by the classrooms. Not to mention that they’ve been turned so the strobes are vertical. IDK.

Maybe it’s because they aren’t fire only that Siemens can get away with this but who knows.
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:54 pm

Did you school finally replace all of the horn/strobes in it?
idontwannaknow
Serious Participant
Serious Participant

Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:29 pm

Simplex 4051 wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:54 pm
Did you school finally replace all of the horn/strobes in it?
No. They’re currently installing covers on the walls for the new pull stations to be mounted onto. Not many Simplex pulls will be replaced and instead pulled out and the hole in the wall will either be painted over or covered.

They did a really good job with replacing the strobe plates in the auditoriums with the speaker/strobes.
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:39 pm

Are they gonna replace the old horn/strobes or jut keep them up and disconnect them?
idontwannaknow
Serious Participant
Serious Participant

Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:52 pm

I think after they install the pulls and replace the already existing TrueAlarm smokes with Siemens versions, the horn/strobes will go bye-bye. After all, that is still the main system and the new one is still in progress of being finished. There would be no reason to not remove the old Simplex alarms.

I do believe they will test the new alarms, might either just be the fire evac (pretty sure i know exactly which one, the fast code 3 tone that clips a few times w/ the female message) or one of those annoying “testing” messages that repeat.

I do not believe there are any plans to replace the stuff in the other building because that was done like 3 years ago.