Rare Smoke Detectors

Discussion of all things related to fire alarms, including alarm systems, fire alarm collections, sirens, sprinklers, fire drills, evacuations, actual fires, building architecture, other kinds of safety drills like tornado and earthquake drills and such, etc.
missj_73
Casual Participant
Casual Participant

Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:52 am

Wow interesting and all these years I thought smoke alarms and smoke detectors were actually the same thing. The ones my parents had in their house years ago were smoke alarms same goes for the ones I have in my apartment. They are all the single station battery powered units. The first time my Dad installed one he referred it as a smoke detector. This is going back to 1976 or 1977. This is what also started my fear of the high pitched nasty squealers. Probably actually a good thing though. I was only 3 or 4 at the time and I still remember it and the unit was a Sears Early One. I also remember he tested it with real smoke. He quit smoking for good in 1978. We are here to learn and and even today I learned something new. I will still probably have a habit of still referring to them as smoke detectors.
7002t
Retired Staff
Retired Staff
YouTube Username: federal3t22

Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:05 pm

Another somewhat rare one, mainly do to the strobe:

an older (1988) Gentex 710CS

The strobe is a whopping 2.5 cd. Haven't tested it yet do to not having the wiring harness.
Dan Drega- Moderator
Got a question or concern? feel free to PM me. I'm here to help.
My main YouTube channel:http://www.youtube.com/federal3t22
Samson
Administrator
Administrator

Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:03 pm

7002t wrote:Another somewhat rare one, mainly do to the strobe:

The strobe is a whopping 2.5 cd. Haven't tested it yet do to not having the wiring harness.

interesting, i happen to have the red horn strobe version of this.
Samson B. - Head Administrator
If you have any questions or concerns please send me a PM.
7002t
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Mon May 02, 2016 7:40 am

Anyone looking for a Smokey Stover? I bought one as one of my aunt's house had one in the kitchen (yes it went off constantly, did 4/6) from the early 80's until the late 90's when it was replaced by a Family Gard FG777D (which was replaced 3 years ago by a First Alert SA303). There's 8 more available.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ultra-Rare-Smok ... Swo0JWFn~C
Dan Drega- Moderator
missj_73
Casual Participant
Casual Participant

Mon May 02, 2016 9:29 am

These things must have been rare. They somewhat resemble older first alerts from around the same time as this one. Even though it looks like these have piezos rather than squealer horns they look neat and cute packaging. That would have been a neat thing to teach kids about smoke alarms by the use of comics. I think I may have asked this before but is 4/6 slower or faster than 5/6?
7002t
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Mon May 02, 2016 9:42 pm

missj_73 wrote:These things must have been rare. They somewhat resemble older first alerts from around the same time as this one. Even though it looks like these have piezos rather than squealer horns they look neat and cute packaging. That would have been a neat thing to teach kids about smoke alarms by the use of comics. I think I may have asked this before but is 4/6 slower or faster than 5/6?
These do use piezos as I heard the one in my aunt's house many times since it was in the kitchen. It did 4/6 and according to the box it was made by Gateway Scientific so odds are it has the squared back and metal mounting braket like my 1980's Sears (never saw my aunt's off the ceiling, I'll find out once mine arrives).
Dan Drega- Moderator
missj_73
Casual Participant
Casual Participant

Mon May 02, 2016 10:43 pm

Cool. You will have to make a video of it too. Those black boxes on the mounting base do look kind of odd. Were there smoke alarms like these had had squealers at one point? I could be wrong and as probably thinking of the older first alerts (the sa76rs) and I think there was one other first alert that had a squealer but I forget that model. Never realized how many different ones there were.
cl94
Casual Participant
Casual Participant

Mon May 02, 2016 11:04 pm

missj_73 wrote:I think I may have asked this before but is 4/6 slower or faster than 5/6?
Time signature has no impact on the speed, or tempo, Time signatures are simply fractions, with the top number representing the number of beats in a measure and the bottom indicating the value of a beat (2=half note, 4=quarter note, 8=eighth note, etc). To give you an idea, standard code 3 is in 4/4 (4 beats/round, with 3 "notes" and 1 beat of rest) at a speed of 60 beats/minute. March time is so named because "standard march time" is at a speed of 120 beats/minute, which is the typical tempo of a standard march, such as those written by Sousa.

That being said, a continuous beeping would be 4/4 or 8/8. Stuff like California code or 4-4 would have the funky time signature.
missj_73
Casual Participant
Casual Participant

Mon May 02, 2016 11:13 pm

Oh okay thanks for explaining that to me. Very interesting. :) :)
7002t
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Tue May 03, 2016 11:20 pm

Samson wrote:
7002t wrote:Another somewhat rare one, mainly do to the strobe:

interesting, i happen to have the red horn strobe version of this.
Nice, I've been thinking of adding one of those to my collection. BTW love my PA400+PS24LO :D .

I found a wiring harness and mounting bracket for the 710CS on eBay. It came in yesterday's mail so after I got home from work this morning (6:30am), I wired it, powered the smoke up, and turned the knob to test. Instantly it went into alarm (does the typical Gentex smoke trill), and after a second or 2 delay the strobe flashed, and continued to do so for another 2 seconds or so after turning the knob to normal. Forgot how loud those Gentex smoke were, yet oddly my wife slept through it (I'm going to install a smoke in our bedroom). I plan on shooting a video of it tomorrow.
Dan Drega- Moderator
Samson
Administrator
Administrator

Tue May 03, 2016 11:23 pm

7002t wrote:BTW love my PA400+PS24LO :D .

Great to hear, i'm glad to have you as a valued customer! :D
Samson B. - Head Administrator
If you have any questions or concerns please send me a PM.
Simplex4Life
Casual Participant
Casual Participant

Thu May 05, 2016 1:22 pm

Here's a Kidde KSA 300. It resembles a Probe, except for the bottom design:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kidde-KSA-300-2 ... 1622880578
If you laugh so hard that milk comes out of your nose, put it in your brother's cereal. After all, it's good to recycle - Lori Beth Denberg
missj_73
Casual Participant
Casual Participant

Thu May 05, 2016 10:55 pm

That Kidde also looks a bit like on old Sears too. Does that Kidde have a piezo or squealer horn?
7002t
Retired Staff
Retired Staff

Fri May 06, 2016 2:08 pm

The Smokey Stover 4002 came in on Wednesday. Why they chose Smokey Stover which had been out of print since 1973 instead any of the other Sunday comics characters around at the time (I know Snoopy was already being used by Jameson) I have no clue. This smoke was made in 1985.

Piezo. The ones in my Sears are black.

The box, one of more unique ones out there.

Here's a test, this one has the same pitch as the Sears in my grandparents house did (the Smokey Stover in my aunt's sounded a 1/2 step higher)

I also shot a video of the Gentex 710CS

Dan Drega- Moderator
missj_73
Casual Participant
Casual Participant

Fri May 06, 2016 5:25 pm

Cool Smokey Stover unit. I still could have sworn there was a unit that looked like this but had a squealer and if there was a post about that im sorry for repeating myself. LOL!!!!