Bad Notification Appliance/Control Panel Combinations

So, a lot of us have Fire-Lite panels, it is very common. There are notification appliances out there that can be damaged because of the power Fire-Lite panel put out. Also, some alarms can even fry the NAC’s of Fire-Lite panels. This is the topic to posts those. If there is a combination of an appliance with another brand of panel, please post that as well.

How about Simplex notification appliances with Fire-Lite panels?

Space Age incandescent lights can fry the NAC’s of Fire-Lite panels, as noted by Destin.

Does anyone known if the Siemens U-MHU-1G-W mini horn can be damaged by Fire-Lite panels? The other day I was wiring one of those up to my MS-9050UD, and I thought it sounded weird (but I only heard it for a couple of seconds).

Actually, it wasn’t the SAE light that fried the NAC. That’s what I originally thought, but I accidentally wired it in series with a Wheelock NS. :? All polarized incandescent lights should operate on FWR panels. 4050-80’s and 2903-9001’s are non-polarized lights and will cause a short trouble.

Siemens notification appliances should be fine. The only devices I know of that can be damaged by FWR are Simplex 4903 and TrueAlert strobes (this doesn’t include -9101 or -9105 strobes). Basically, the last two generations of Simplex strobes should not be powered by FWR.

Panels that output FWR include:
Fire-Lite (MS-2/4/5UD/10UD/4424/5024/5210/9050/9200/9200UDLS, all rebranded versions of these panels, NOT the 9600UDLS or old Miniscan series)
EST (EST1, older small conventional panels)
Simplex (4001 - to my knowledge, it uses the batteries for filtered NAC output. If there are no batteries in the panel, it will output FWR)

I’m sure there are more but that’s off the top of my head for now. Might be a good idea for a wiki article.

Buying an Altronix power supply will give you filtered NAC power with any panel.

All this time I have been avoiding Simplex notification appliances. :frowning:

Thanks for the information!

You listed MS-9050, does that include the MS-9050UD?

Oops, yes - there’s no such thing as an MS-9050.

Okay, I wasn’t sure if there was a panel with the model number MS-9050 in the past that I didn’t know about.

Didn’t Firealarmjrtech9 have a “nightmare” about an SAE light causing his panel to explode in one of his videos?

Ooh, there is a shopping plaza near my college, with two stores (one is currently closed) that have Simplex 2901-9833 horns on what are probably 2903 light plates, but the current fire alarm panel is a Fire-Lite MS-9200 (next to it is an abandoned Simplex 2001 panel that is now probably just used for terminal wiring.) I wonder if that will cause any troubles?

They’re probably 2903-9101’s or else the panel would’ve shown a trouble as soon as they were wired up. It’s possible that a diode or something was used to polarize the circuit, but I doubt it. It’s also possible that the lights were disconnected.

Yes he did