Cerberus Pyrotronics IXL

Altronix does not make a dialer, what they probably did was they had to put a NAC booster power supply (which altronix does make) in place of the SXL because they needed extra power for what used to be the SXL’s NACs.

The “UD” in MS-5210UD means “universal dialer” so they are most likely now using the dialer built in to the panel.

Oh okay…

I’m not familiar with the Altronix brand. This is actually the first Altronix device I’ve actually laid eyes on. That must be the Filtered DC source for the gym…and I bet the MC-S17-F’s and A4-H’s run on it too…

I’m going back on Friday and I’ll try to snap a picture of the panel and the flush-mount 34 with dual projectors.

Altronix just makes power supplies of all types and sizes. Very common manufacturer, especially for access control power supplies.

UPDATE

As for the MS-5210UD+Altronix NAC Booster setup, there is evidence floating around that the entire system is up for replacement.

There were some brochures/sell sheets for some new panels laying on the secretary’s desk in the main office on Monday. One was for the Siemens Cerberus Desigo. Another was for the Siemens FireFinder XLS. The last one was for the Silent Knight IntelliKnight 5280XL.

Like I said, it’s still just rumor, so I can’t say for sure. Those sell sheets could have been left by some techs for advertising purposes towards the district and school administration.

I must say though, the Cerberus Pro and Desigo lines look to be pretty nice systems. Any experience with those on here???

they aren’t bad little panels, and they use the same addressable devices the XLS does though. very popular in europe from my understanding under some other name.

they’re basically made to compete with something like the notifier firewarden series, or a simplex 4007es.

Chris,

The Cerberus PRO and Desigo lines look to be nice systems. Definitely a step in the right direction for Siemens, IMO.

Must ask…do they still have the VERY protected external programming procedure? Or, being small-to-midsize systems, are they easily programmed from the User Interface?

There’s a Cerberus PRO on eBay right now for a reasonable price compared to the outrageous prices for MXL panels…I’d love to have one, but I would much rather start off conventional or with a “simple” addressable system (Fire-Lite MS-9050/9200/9600 or similar).

The cerberus PRO has special software but i don’t think it has any license attached to it. not sure if you can find it anywhere though.

the desigo line has it’s own software and a license program tied to it, similar to the mxl.

Chris,

The Cerberus PRO on eBay is the basic 50-point model. It’s a little expensive (asking price is $399), but still reasonable given the prices of MXL’s and some of the Simplex panels.

Is there backwards compatibility with Siemens/Cerberus Pyrotronics addressable devices built into the Cerberus PRO??? Or will it only accept the “H-Series” Siemens devices? And yes, I am aware that one will need a Siemens DPU device programmer…

h-series and newer devices only.

you can program it from the display, and one of those panels has the ability to program all of the devices so you don’t need the programmer unless you want to add a device.

Must ask…

There is currently a Cerberus Pyrotronics PXL on eBay.

Does anyone have experience with these?

As for the “megabus” SLC system:

I’ve been looking over some of the info on FireAlarmResources.com and came across something that makes me wonder if there is some compatibility with newer devices.

The IXL can support up to four ICON units. These modules facilitate the two way communication between initiating devices and the IXL. It appears to me that the initiating devices branch off of each ICON on a two-wire loop. I’ve also seen a Siemens-badged MSI-10B pull station on an IXL system before as a replacement. Am I correct here??

Also, I was reading through a locked topic titled “when dumpster diving pays off”. There was some confusion over the presence and absence of the LCD display on the IXL/INS-2 motherboard.

This component is the Cerberus Pyrotronics LAN Local Alphanumeric Annunciation Module. It was also available as a standalone Model RAN Remote Alphanumeric Annunciator. This did NOT come standard with the IXL. The IXL system I’ve personally operated did not have an LAN, but there was an RAN in the vestibule of the school. The 7-segment display showed “driL”, while the RAN showed “Fire Drill”.

The RAN, however, only includes the LCD and an ACK switch. For remote control purposes, the Cerberus Pyrotronics RemCon unit contained ACK, RESET, and DRILL switches along with the full host of LED’s on the IXL motherboard. This unit mounts into a standard 4x4" backbox.

Just thought I’d throw that out there…

Okay…I think this may be helpful to anyone who may want more info or are in information overload concerning the IXL Series.

This is basically a SparkNotes version of the IXL Datasheet from FireAlarmResources.com

Cerberus Pyrotronics IXL----Device Type Cheat Sheet

IXL: Main PCB, Keypad, and Enclosure. 2 SLC Loops, 2 NAC’s, Battery Charger, and relays for Alarm, Trouble. Supervisory, and Degrade Operations.

IXL-EXP: Expansion Module: Provides two additional SLC Loops for a total of four loops and a total of 256 Addressable Devices supported.

ICon: I-Series Adressable Interface: Facilitates bidirectional communication between the IXL and I-Series Addressable Initiating Devices and IXL Addressable Auxiliary Devices. Total of 4 ICons supported per IXL.

CZI: Collective Zone Interface Module: Addressable Monitor Module available in Low-Power (Contact Devices only, “CZI-L”) and High-Power (Smoke/Beam Sensor Compatible, “CZI-H”) configurations as well as Class A (“4”) or Class B (“2”) Wiring Styles (CZI-L2S, CZI-H2S, CZI-L4S, CZI-H4S). Total of 256 CZIs supported per IXL.

CE: Addressable Control Element: Output Control Module that can be used as a Form C Relay (dry contact) or Remote Audio/Visual Signal Relay (activation a remote NAC Controller). Total of 224 CE Modules per IXL.

LAN, RAN. LPI, RPI: Alphanumeric Annunciation and Serial Printer Modules: LAN=Local Alphanumeric Annunciator/Printer Interface (installed in IXL enclosure), RAN=Remote Alphanumeric Annunciator/Printer Interface (installed in RAN-SB Backbox), LPI=Local Printer Interface, RPI+Remote Printer Interface. Total of 16 LAN/RAN/LPI/RPI Modules per IXL.

LED-1, LED-2: LED Annunciator: Provides “conventional” LED Annunciation. Available in Black (LED-2) and White (LED-1). Total of 24 Annuciators per IXL.

GAD, RRD: Remote Graphic Annunciator Driver (GAD) and Remote Relay Driver (RRD): GAD allows the IXL to control a user-supplied Graphic Annunciator. RRD allows the IXL to control user-supplied Relay Units. Total of 24 GAD Modules per IXL.

GenCon: Generic Switch Control Module: Provides 8 Automatic or User-Controlled Generic Switch Functions. This is often used for HVAC Shutdown or similar applications. Total of 4 GenCon Modules per IXL.

RemCon: Remote User Control Module: Provides the user with the ability to remotely Acknowledge, Reset and Drill an IXL System. RemCom also contains all of the LED indicators contained on the IXL Interface, an internal sounder, and a key switch to enable/disable operation. Total of 16 RemCon Modules per IXL.

INS-EVI: Remote Voice Evacuation Relay: Allows the IXL to activate 8 Alarm Inputs on the Cerberus Pyrotronics CPV-90 Voice Evacuation System. Recognized by the IXL as a Control Element. Total of 16 INS-EVI Modules per IXL.

RemSwitch: Remote Switch Module: Provides standalone keyswitch-operated remote Acknowledge, Reset or Drill functionality when used in conjunction with a CZI Module. Total of 256 RemSwitch+CZI Modules per IXL.

INS-AUX: Auxiliary Relay Module: General Purpose Relay Module to be mounted in the IXL enclosure. INS-AUX can be programmed to activate immediately or after a designated time or alarm sequence.

Hope this is helpful!!!