Help me 'build' my alarm system

Well, the 5208 comes with 10 zones by default, & can be expanded to a total of 30 zones with zone expander modules. The 4006 comes with 5 zones by default, but can be expanded to a total of 10. Both have built-in dialers & 4 NACs. Not sure about the 4006’s programming, but I know the 5208’s programming is incredibly flexible; it comes with a number of zone types, & custom coding options can also be programmed using the software, among other features. The 5208 can be programmed using either the keypad or the software; the 4006 can only be programmed via the keypad as the software for it is unavailable to non-technicians.

I guess the MS-4 is a decent panel at best, but like I said the downsides are only 4 zones (which usually aren’t a problem for collectors starting out like you, but still), 2 NACs, FWR output, & non-programmable relays, compared to other fairly small panels, some of which have more or better than that.

So the 5208 would be the „best“ option then? Should I leave the MS4 on the list anywhere? I am only planning on a small house system, 1 horn, 2 or 3 co/smoke detectors and maybe 1 strobe if at all, and even then I can always combine the strobe into the Horn, and at best 1 pull Station maybe two if determined it is required

In my mind it would be at least. The MS-4 would probably work for such an application, but there are the downsides to it that I mentioned before.

Are you planning on putting this system of yours throughout the entire house? If so, you’d need way more devices than just those.

originally I was thinking two systems, one for the garage, and one for the basement utility area where the oil tank, oil heater, water heater and air handler unit all reside (all with in the same room) and the second system would sit in the garage, and one sounder at each respective door way in the house for audible alert due to how the house is designed, I am not 100% sure if I would even be able to reasonably run the wiring for a single system to cover both areas, hence my original thought of getting the MS4 (2x) and running each area as its own system, unless you can think of a better way to achieve the same plan with wireless devices?

Im now considering the Simplex 4006, 5208 (simplex?) and Notifier AFP-300 (or the 400 if able to be found?) thoughts on these? is the 5208 still ‘the best’ or??

I’m sure with enough work one panel could monitor both areas, heck if the panel had enough zones you could probably have it monitor the entire house! (but as I said you’d then need more devices, such as at least one smoke detector for almost every room)

I’m not very familiar with wireless systems to be honest.

The 5208 is by Silent Knight, & I’d say really any of those might work, the 5208 I just have personal experience with so that’s why I’m recommending it.

fair point, I will have to take a look at each one and obviously go with what I can afford of course.

is the 6820 by Silent Knight similar to the 5802 or is that a programmable system?

https://www.amazon.com/Silent-Knight-Addressable-Control-SK-6820/dp/B07GSKGBH6/ref=rvi_11/140-1240272-5682655?pd_rd_w=KlxJ8&pf_rd_p=c0296674-5a83-4ad6-b035-0702d2b359df&pf_rd_r=KS5AVHE1WARNSYRNRTJ7&pd_rd_r=f8181a7b-701b-4528-a9e8-323bf1981f18&pd_rd_wg=fZfHL&pd_rd_i=B07GSKGBH6&psc=1

The 6820 is part of Silent Knight’s 6000-series of addressable panels, & like I said, if you’re starting out avoid addressable panels.

ok that’s what I wanted to make sure (trying to avoid addressable, though I’m not afraid of them), does the Simplex 4006 seem like a good panel, I found one for $300 with shipping, but want to make sure it doesn’t do what ever FWR or what ever tends to kill simplex products (I remember you saying something some alarm panels do kills simplex devices, and want to be sure my Edwards pull box, and System Sensor MA-24 isn’t going to suffer the same fate)

From what I can tell the 4006 does indeed output filtered DC instead of FWR.

so is that a good thing or bad thing? im just wanting to make sure that If i get the 4006 that im not going to burn out what I already have and end up having to buy all new parts and detectors…im planning ultimately putting in sounder/strobe combo units that also have co/smoke detection abilities

While not all alarms are harmed by FWR, I’d still say that it’s generally a good idea to use a panel that puts out filtered DC, so yes, I’d say it’s a good thing.

If you’re referring to smoke detectors that have sounder beacon bases, I regret to inform you that that’s not really a thing in the US. Simplex sells smoke detectors that you can get a CO sensor base for, but I believe that’s just for addressable systems. There are also detectors with sounders either built-in or that can be installed onto sounder bases.

damn…seems like the US fire alarm systems are some what lacking in the way of modernization…as I was going to put the smoke/co detectors with sounder bases (that flash also) in to make the system as clean as possible (mainly so the family doesn’t get annoyed at me for installing the system)

I don’t know about modernization, but I’m fairly certain the reason that sounder beacon bases are not a thing in the US is because they wouldn’t meet strobe brightness requirements (15 candela minimum by ADA standards). You could at least try using ceiling-mounted alarms that are somewhat more out of the way than wall-mount alarms.

interesting, the bases usually (at least more modern ones that im aware of) are LEDs so I would think they would output at least 15 candella of light, but I could be wrong I suppose, certainly going to look into that as well as cealing mounted units, so based on your comments then I am good to pull the trigger on the Simplex 4006? is there anything else I should be aware of about the 4006 Panel?

tips tricks, things like that? ways to factory reset it if I for some reason don’t know any master passcodes?

There are such things as LED alarms now, but I wouldn’t know about the bases.

You know, good point: didn’t even think about the fact that it’s possible to have a Simplex panel that you can’t use because you don’t know the codes to it. Silent Knight panels on the other hand I’m pretty sure you can reset the codes on via the software.

just got messaged by the seller of the SImplex 4006 and they based on there message are selling a like new not configured system, so might be worth snatching it up? Thoughts?

Give it a shot I guess.

Ok, thanks for the info! Looks like I managed to find a Notifier AFP 400 (marked as a 300) intelligent fire panel…going to assume that means addressable system

Ah yes, nearly forgot that the AFP-series is addressable. I guess that narrows it down to the Simplex 4006 & the Silent Knight 5208.

indeed, do you have any suggestions on the Simplex 4006? I want to make sure I can change the ‘coding’ of the alarms and how they sound (not tones) but the march time, code 3, ect?