Horn/strobes in restrooms

You’ll mostly find audio/visual devices in older systems (80’s and 90’s), Newer systems would probably not do that.

There is some exceptions like that rest stop in Connecticut that had a Classic in the restroom and an Advance in one of the stalls. What were they thinking?

The Kmart in my area which closed years ago had a white SpectrAlert Advance horn/strobe on the ceiling in a restroom up in the front of a store where a closed down in store Little Caesar’s was that was a one person restroom the size of a walk-in closet. There was a SpectrAlert Advance horn/strobe right outside the restroom!

The back restroom in the store which was a larger multiple person restroom also had an Advance horn/strobe on the ceiling.

Well, my great, great, granddaughter’s school has a EST Genesis horn/strobe in every single restroom.

[quote=fierlarmz_09 post_id=84476 time=1562914634 user_id=5255]

Well, my great, great, granddaughter’s school has a EST Genesis horn/strobe in every single restroom.

[/quote]

Genesis remote strobes have horn grilles.

And… A Home Depot has a horn/strobe in the men’s restrooms.

[quote=fierlarmz_09 post_id=84513 time=1563267313 user_id=5255]

And… A Home Depot has a horn/strobe in the men’s restrooms.

[/quote]

What kind of alarm is it?

A Simpelx TrueAlert

The Walmart I used to work at originally had a Wheelock MT-24-WM horn/strobe in each restroom, and the FCI system was set on Continuous (never heard that one go off, but I was told of it.) After the expansion and remodel, each restroom had a ceiling-mount SpectrAlert Advance horn/strobe installed (the system was now an Fire-Lite MS-9600UDLS set to Code-3.) When the Walmart corporation designed the fire alarm system, they made sure there were horn/strobes EVERYWHERE, even one in each office or smaller room, including restrooms! But to be fair, in those places the horn/strobes would be set on “Low” volume. (I remember being in the employee lounge during fire alarm testing, and was surprised at how the Advance horn/strobe in said lounge wasn’t that loud at all, which led me to believe it was set to “Low” volume.)

Campanelli Stadium, where the Brockton Rox baseball team’s home games are, also has alarms in the restrooms; Wheelock AS-24-MCW horn/strobes! Even smaller single-person restrooms! Ouch! (All alarms throughout the structure are AS horn/strobes; the system is a Notifier NFS-320 that’s replacing the original AFP-100 panel the AS horn/strobes were installed with.)

Two buildings at my friend’s university are also like this. The Campus Center has a Simplex 4903-9219 electromechanical horn/strobe in each non-renovated restroom (system is a Simplex 4100ES with an unusual mix of the electromechanical 4903s, TrueAlert horn/strobes, and even voice-evac; the 4903s were installed with a Simplex 4100 panel in the mid-90s.)
Hart/Burnell Hall was built in 1979 with a JC/Standard Electric Time fire alarm system with Space Age 2DCD+AV32 horn/lights, and most restrooms each had a horn/light in them! Yikes! But when they upgraded to a Simplex 4100U in 2009-2010 and replaced the Space Age alarms with Simplex 4906-9127 TrueAlert horn/strobes, many of said restrooms had a TrueAlert horn/strobe replace the Space Age horn/light (still pretty brutal!) but some had their horn/lights replaced with 4906-9101 TrueAlert remote strobes.

Oh I’ve personally encountered (as in “spotted”) two times FAs in restrooms or whatever… (at some point I was believing that they were concealed cameras :mrgreen: but that’s out of the scope of the topic)

1st encounter/spotting (in the restroom of a Leclerc store, can’t remember for the life of me where): An Roshni ROLP just outside of the stalls (with how tall it would have been problematic… As I was washing my hands, I saw the sounder in the mirror’s reflection. As if that cheeky lil’ critter was snarking me “Oi mate! I’ll be sure to blast your eardrums to oblivion, should the fire alarm goes off!” yeaaah no thanks.

2nd encounter/spotting (in a gymnasium restroom) : an Legrand sounder/strobe combo, by the looks of it, it was installed fairly recently. I didn’t even spot it at first but it sat in a corner, right at the angle where the ceiling and the wall meet.

The local Lowe’s Hardware store has 2 Wheelock MTs in the restroom! Its only 3 stalls too! Thankfully I have never been in there when it has gone off. I have been when the alarms sounded but the echo is ok.

[quote="Fire alarms are cool" post_id=84605 time=1564064712 user_id=4187]

The local Lowe’s Hardware store has 2 Wheelock MTs in the restroom! Its only 3 stalls too! Thankfully I have never been in there when it has gone off. I have been when the alarms sounded but the echo is ok.

[/quote]

Strange. I have never seen two NAs in a restroom unless the restroom is really large.

At wdw, Seaworld, Harry Potter world, any large restroom

The Walmart near my house has a System Sensor SpectrAlert Advanced horn/strobe in the men and women restrooms.

Somehow that wouldn’t surprise me that they put a SpectrAlert Advance horn/strobe in a bathroom.