LOTS of Old Brochures

2 Likes

The metallic detector on the left is HIGHLY radioactive and contains large amounts of radium, instead of safer americium. Those detectors even came with warnings: WARNING! RADIOACTIVE. Avoid prolonged proximity to this device.

1 Like

1 Like

Woah, these are fantastic finds! Thanks for sharing them.

The Fire-Lite voice system with the multicoloured modules is particularly interesting as it looks like it might be a rebranded Electro Vox system. If that’s indeed the case, I didn’t realize that Fire-Lite had rebranded these products at one point. Interestingly, this is the first time I see a photo of one of these panels equipped with what appears to be a cassette deck.

1 Like

WHERE DID YOU FIND THESE!? I have been looking everywhere for emhart notifier stuff

Are some of those catalogs available on the Internet Archive?

Trademarks that companies file when trademarking items

3 Likes

that is so cool. I’ve never seen ones like this before

A few months ago, I learned from a fellow member’s post that past issues of the NFPA’s publications are now available online. After browsing through a few issues at random, I realized that there were ads in these periodicals that hadn’t been posted in this thread (although I think that the best ones have already been shared here). I therefore decided to go through each issue (it took me a few months!), from vol. 22:2 (1928) of NFPA Quarterly—the first issue to feature advertisements—to vol. 112:6 (2018) of the NFPA Journal, to create an easily browsable list of all fire alarm-related ads from these publications. The ads can be viewed here, where they are organized in folders by decade (and, within these folders, by brand and by year).

I tried to be as exhaustive as possible, but I generally excluded ads for the following types of products:

• municipal fire alarm systems;
  • fire alarm accessories, such as protective covers for devices;
  • fire suppression products;
  • specialty detection products, such as flame detection systems.

I created a separate folder for residential products, as I know that certain members of the community have an interest in smoke alarms. I also created a folder for various ads I found in other publications over the past few years.

Among the ads I found that haven’t already been posted in this thread, here are a few of my favourites:

Couch (1965)

Notifier bells (1960)

Pyrotector (1972)

Edwards 6700 (1973)

Kobishi motor bells (1979)

Standard Electric Time (1974)

Thomas Industries (1972)

Edwards 5900 (1989) (An incredibly obscure panel—I had never heard of it.)

Launch of the EST brand (1992)

FAST Response 3000/IRC-3 (1990)

Federal Signal MMPS (1997)

Firecom LSN 2000 (1996)

SigCom (1996)

I’ve always loved seeing ads and brochures being shared in this thread. I find that they’re an incredible resource to learn about the history of specific fire alarm products and the evolution of fire alarm systems in general.

For easier browsing, I recommend switching from the list layout to the grid layout (in the upper right corner on Drive). Moreover, I note that certain ads feature multiple pages.

4 Likes

Nice job finding (& thanks for posting) those FAST ads: I know someone who should like both of them (particularly since I think there was only one FAST ad in this topic before: now there are at least three).

I’d personally say that any life safety-related ad is valuable but okay.

Precisely, especially since a lot of these companies are so obscure or have such poorly-known or documented history that the only way to know about their history or even mere existence is to find literature on them (said literature helped me put together more of the “Simplex logo puzzle” just the other day).

EDIT: Just noticed that the “Simplex -1976” ad under the “NFPA - 1970s” folder on Drive is actually from 1977 as indicated by the date printed across the top: you might wanna fix that.

Thanks! This was a fun little project. It was exciting to make new discoveries (including some interesting articles) while going through the issues.

Unfortunately, the immense number of ads forced me to be selective; I therefore decided to focus on the types of products that are already featured in this thread and that are typically discussed on TFP. I have well over 1000 ads in the folders, so including everything remotely relevant would likely have doubled that number (and I don’t have the time or patience to extract and crop those extra pages!). There are a handful of ads featuring products such as suppression control panels, pull station covers and municipal systems in the folders—I saved the most interesting/relevant ones. For similar reasons, I didn’t include new product announcements or “classified”-style ads.

This ad first appeared in the May 1976 issue; the copy I saved is from 1977. I found the 1977 scan to be of slightly better quality than the original one, but I named the file according to the year when the ad first appeared. When naming these documents, I prefer to use the year of first publication as it makes it easier to trace the history of the advertised product. I antedated certain other ads that appeared in more than one issue for the same reason. The year is therefore not an error in this case, although I can’t guarantee that there are no typos elsewhere (I was as diligent as possible!).

You’re welcome! Yeah!

That’s fair I guess.

Those I’d say are particularly valuable, especially the ones about new products as that may be our only way of knowing when a particular product was introduced (there are lots who’s introduction dates are not known due to them being so old).

Oh, okay. I hate that that’s a thing though as that means you can never be sure when an ad first appeared & in turn when something may have been introduced, changed, or discontinued.

That looks like a really vintage version of what Japan’s exit signs use nowadays. It never seemed to be fully adopted in North America though but it would be cool to have it.

4 Likes

Yeah. System Sensor tried in 2006 with ExitPoint, a sounder mounted near exits that emits white noise to guide people to said exits, but sadly it seems most building owners didn’t want such a thing & it was discontinued in 2020.

2 Likes

Japanese exit signs are equipped with voice evac speech sounders. This one can probably only make some beeps or chimes.

1 Like

This was before voice evacuation became the norm back in the 70s when it was basic mechanical horns. While the System Sensor ExitPoint sounders did have their own voice evacuation audio (which was a SpectrAlert Classic speaker with it’s own sound producing module on it) the exit signs in Japan have a separate audio channel for announcing where the emergency exit is and can be synchronized with other speakers in the building’s system (most of them are just normal speakers connected to the system) and usually only play when the voice evacuation announcement isn’t playing.

1 Like

Hello there, I am new to the community.
Can anyone explain me the discussion, so I can make some contribution too!

Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Welcome to the Fire Panel Forums!

Pretty sure this topic was started by thesdx/Destin, a now-retired enthusiast, so he could share various life safety documents with the community, & now everyone just posts their life safety literature here too.

1 Like

I see, but I am a bit confuse. Can you explain which kind of document.
Like you said that they share life safety documents. But i am still getting confused can you elaborate with an example. so, I can understand.

May be I can make some contribution too.
thanks in advance.