Musical Instruments

A majority, if not all musical instruments I have are all keyboards under the Yamaha brand, however, much like the case with most of my fire alarms and the location of where I do my main alarm tests, some of them are at home with me, and the rest of them are at a relative’s house that I visit every so often.

I would post pics here, but I’m too lazy right now to downsize them and attach them into this post.

Yamaha PSR-175 - My very first keyboard that I’ve owned. My dad bought it for me as a (somewhat) late Christmas gift back in 2004, but I believe it wasn’t opened until sometime in early 2005. It has a “talking” feature for the dictionary and DJ Game functions. Very simple, very basic, does not have a recording feature built in, has a 16-note polyphony, and has a non-backlit display. As of 2012, it no longer resides at my house, it now resides at the relative’s house that I’ve mentioned earlier – and is now attached to a different stand than the one it came with. Fun fact: the music stand (grid style) that originally came with this keyboard got misplaced about a year or so after normal use. So my dad bought me a replacement stand for this keyboard (the same exact type).

Yamaha PSR-E423 - My second keyboard, which I bought back in the summer of 2011 originally to replace my PSR-175 after about six and a half years. This was a “game changer”, since this keyboard is capable of doing a whole lot more than the -175 does (better tone generator, wider tempo range, 6-track recorder, pitch bend wheel, etc.). It also has an arpeggiator and live control knobs. It blew my mind when I first put it to use. It was my “daily driver” (so to speak) for about a year.

Yamaha PSR-E433 - My third keyboard, which is the successor to the previous one. This has been my “daily driver” since late 2012 since I moved the -E423 to the same location as the -175 (but not in the same room). It has pretty much the same features as the previously mentioned keyboard from above, but has new drum kits, more voices, additional styles, a dance pattern function, and a USB to Device port on the back. I kind of regret buying this since there were some things that I liked on the -E423 that were removed on this keyboard. Another reason I kind of regret buying this is the “upgraded/modernized” styles (kind of like how elevator enthusiasts react when their favorite elevator gets modernized).

Yamaha PSR-262 - My fourth keyboard – and this is where the keyboards start becoming more of a hobby for me. Very similar to the PSR-175 except the design is different, has touch sensitivity (although it’s not as good as on more modern keyboards), four of the built-in demo songs are different, and has a yellow (ish) backlit display.

Sadly, it did not come with a music stand, which is a shame because the music stands for the previously mentioned keyboards won’t fit – I would need a special kind of music stand for it. Unfortunately, they are very hard to come by; I’ve looked countless times on eBay, but with no luck. For reference, see the attached image.

Yamaha PSR-282 - My fifth keyboard (sorta). I got this one about a few weeks – give or take – after obtaining the -262. I got this keyboard after watching videos of other people using that keyboard and its other variants (PSR-280 and PSR-GX76) specifically the styles, and it blew my mind that it pretty much had the same styles as the PSR-175/262 has, but with a better tone generator.

It originally came from a seller on eBay who I believe had someone who had used it before me, therefore it had stickers on some of the white keys with the correct letter name on some of them. I had since took them all off. However, it had some flaws… The display would show “CLr Backup” once powered up after being powered off for a long time (AC Adapter); the dynamics (touch sensitivity) were subpar to an extent – the D key next to middle C would tend to have a delayed response and sometimes respond quieter than it should; and there is a “crackling” sound whenever I turn the master volume down.

So about a year later, I got myself another PSR-282 (which was not too long before posting this), and it’s a little better – the speakers don’t “crackle” when I turn down the master volume, and the dynamics, for the most part, is much better. But even with that in mind, there are still some flaws, most of them are minor (no pun intended). There are some “stains” (so to speak) on the unit, a few paint marks on its side (for some reason) like a fire alarm taken out from an old building, and the “CLr Backup” message still persists.

Much like the PSR-262, neither of them came with music stands. If you think you found one similar to the attached photo, just let me know via PM. I am planning to ship the first PSR-282 (I will also throw in a PA-130 power supply to go with it) to anyone who might be interested (PM me) – preferably if you don’t have a keyboard to begin with (not a good “first keyboard”).

[attachment=0]music_stand.png[/attachment]

Yamaha YPT-330 - My sixth keyboard (my second PSR-282 is technically my seventh) which I got back at around October (2014) or so. I got this keyboard for quite a few reasons: the built-in demo songs, compensation for the “modernized” styles on my PSR-E433*, and for another reason I don’t feel comfortable explaining here.

*This is an older model from 2011, since its next model up (YPT-340 along with its PSR-E counterpart) also had its styles “modernized”. Also, I went with the YPT model because I didn’t want all my keyboards to have the “PSR” prefix in their model number… also for variety in keyboard finishes (designs).

A few other things that I want to add (since I don’t like writing one big post)

The people who currently reside at the relatives’ house I mentioned in my previous post once had a Yamaha PSS-130 keyboard, which I believe has been given away to someone else. I remember playing with it when I was a kid (this was long before I got the PSR-175). It has one demonstration song built in (Yankee Doodle), has a recording feature, and plays a doorbell-like sound (G note, then the E note) when left unattended after being powered on. The drawback to this is that it has a 2-note polyphony, IIRC.

I also have an M-Audio MIDI controller keyboard, which is a “KeyStudio” model, and has 49 keys. I got this keyboard to use with GarageBand with my (now completely outdated) MacBook.

I’ve also taken piano lessons with a piano teacher after more than a year since I got my PSR-175. She has her own “recording studio” (she also teaches voice lessons in addition to piano lessons) located downstairs in her home. The instrument there is an 88-key Schumann upright piano. Unfortunately, almost a year prior to writing this, I had stopped taking piano lessons with her due to her coming down with something (I think it was a stroke). The other unfortunate thing about this is that I haven’t had a chance to see her (yet) ever since my piano lessons have come to a halt. I don’t think I will be taking piano lessons anytime soon because of my busy life, so I might be taking lessons by myself.

Although it’s technically not a musical instrument, I do make good use of the GarageBand app on my iPad.

Other than that, that’s pretty much everything I have at my disposal as far as musical instruments are concerned.

One last thing: if you want to see anything music related from me, I do have a channel dedicated to music: CoolDude503Music. I’ve probably posted way too much content there, most of the videos have to do with my keyboards, but every now and then, I will post other non-keyboard videos to that channel.

Play the Bassoon in my concert band(will begin our wind ensemble next year)

And play the Tenor Sax in Jazz Band and Red Scare. About Red Scare, there is no offense intended to anyone. Red Scare is the name of our marching band(you’ll see our band logo on that Euphonium in the background). Personally it’s not the best marching band in my opinion because there isn’t a pit or any color guards, like the neighboring schools. But it’s good enough.

I didn’t actually have a picture of my instrument alone but I had to make do with the pictures I had.

I also have a history of playing the clarinet in 4th-6th grade but I have enough reason to believe all the skill I developed for the clarinet have left me.

I’m not sure if this is a “good bump” but recently I got a new musical instrument!

This is my Rogue RM-100A A-style mandolin. It sounds pretty good, but it doesn’t have a built-in pickup, so if I ever want to amp it, I’d have to find some sort of way to do that.