Name That Fire Suppression Device

Ansul 442r. My got fried…

What is it? …and don’t just say sprinkler, haha. I want details! Bonus if you can tell me what’s special about it.

It’s a sprinkler head. The blue liquid indicates it will activate at 225*F.

That’s right, the blue bulb is for a higher temp, only it is 286’F which is what blue normally signifies. 225 isn’t a standard temp I’ve seen, however, 325 is seen sometimes.

There is something more special going on with this head though and it isn’t related to the glass bulb.

Is it a upsidedown mount?

I’m not sure what you mean, but I will hint by saying it has nothing to do with the position it is installed in.

Deflection pattern?

Nope, nothing to do with the deflector. I’ll give you a really strong hint, it has to do with what its made of and the environment it would be used in. :wink:

Is it made of Steel? Is it for a cold environment?

Close enough, I’ll give you the win.

Its made of stainless steel and is intended to be used in corrosive environments.

What would it be used for?

Its meant to protect the sprinkler from corrosion. It would be used just like a standard upright, which it essentially is, but would not degrade over time like a standard brass or chrome plated head.

I’ve used them for jobs once in a while, most notably in indoor swimming pool areas in hotels and the truck-washing bays in Public Works facilities. You may also find them in laboratories where chemical fumes are present.

Ahhhh