New System Sensor Notification Series!

Me too!

I was reading the Advance product manual, and discovered why this new series is called the ‘L’ series (at least for now before it probably gets the SpectrAlert name).

When the P2R and the Advance initially debuted in 2006, can you guess what they were called?

The K-series.
Meaning the ‘L’ series is just a factory codename for a new device…in the alphabet, K comes before L, so, well you can figure it out.

Well then…I wonder what in thunderation System Sensor will tack on to the SpectrAlert name for these new signals…

Hmm…perhaps the SpectrAlert ‘Low-Profile’ Advance? Although that seems a bit redundant. I can’t really think of a new name right now…any ideas?

The term “K Series” refers to the product line for the Outdoor/Weather Resistant SprectrAlert Advance series.

Darn it…I thought for sure I had deciphered some sort of factory codename or something. I can’t believe I didn’t remember that, oh well.

“SpectrAlert Low-Profile”, maybe?

I mean you aren’t necessarily wrong. The K-Series was an addition to the SpectrAlert line, now they’ve added the L-Series.

So how long do we have to wait for the M, N, O and P-series? :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

dies of laughter

Hmm…since the Advance lasted 11 years, guess we only have 11 more to kill before we find out! Lol.

So I’ve read up a little on the back story as to why we’re not seeing more LED strobe devices for the US fire alarm market. This page gives some insight into the changes that took place in NFPA 72 for the 2016 edition. Specifically, despite objection from Mircom, the new code reduced the allowable strobe pulse duration from 200 to 20 milliseconds. This means that in jurisdictions that have adopted this edition, virtually no LED strobe on the market will be allowed.

Personally, this seems to be just the latest example of how this industry takes advantage of its code-mandated position to resist innovation and protect its traditional sources of profit. There is hardly an impartial scientific consensus that a short-duration flash is more attention-grabbing. But sure, you can find a few studies that seem to make that point, if that’s the point you want to make.

The longer flash duration of LEDs is likely less hazardous to those with epilepsy. It has been all but endorsed in European standards, where new requirements for visual alarm devices (VADs) are centered around currently available LED products. It seems like this country is pretty insistent on staying behind the times.

It’s interesting to hear that Mircom is contesting those changes; it looks like they may be releasing a new series of LED devices soon. I don’t know if these devices are just prototypes or if they will actually be commercialized, but the new requirements don’t seem to have deterred Mircom from going ahead with the development of LED horn/strobes.

Too bad they are not more discreet. I hope they are at least smaller than I am imagining them. I wish we could buck the trend of having to have none of the device protrude into the backbox, with clean wiring, there is enough space there to contain what would otherwise be sticking out into the room.

Hopefully manufacturers can work around the pulse duration issue with LEDs. Theoretically LEDs can emit an infinitesimally short pulse. I have to admit, I don’t fully understand why this is such a major issue. For 20 milliseconds or 200 milliseconds, 30 candela is still 30 candela. A shorter pulse should draw less current, so what am I missing here?

I would gladly give up some marginal current savings just to have an attractive discreet LED-based device. The favor it would win us with architects would be enormous.

The simplex LED truealerts meet the 2016 pulse duration requirements, so it’s possible, other manufacturers just haven’t done it yet.

So maybe it’s just a single manufacturer in the industry taking advantage? addressable NAC’s are also in the code despite simplex being the only ones with them and the only ones even remotely interested in having them. no other manufacturer cares about addressable nac’s, it’s a more expensive device that doubles the installation cost and for what gain? it’s all marketing ploys.

as for winning favor with architects, we’ve specifically been told to use wheelock’s LED’s at a few sites and I’m sure that list will grow simply because they’re low profile and sleek looking. est genesis series is another popular one with the architects.

Hmm…maybe that was why I got my Wheelock LHSW LED Exceder for $19.99 NIB. I do have to agree with the NFPA though when comparing the RSS flashrate to that of its LED counterpart I’ve found that:

1. On 15cd, the LED strobes are super bright. Xenon strobes…not so much.
  2. The xenon strobe (RSS) did automatically sync with the LED device, but not completely like Wheelock devices are supposed to. With my AS, the RSS syncs just fine with that, but the flashrate of the RSS and the LED is slightly off. I say slightly because it’s like a few milliseconds off. But it’s pretty close though.

I suppose this is why I haven’t seen that many LED devices besides on collector’s YouTube channels. My LED Exceder was manufactured in October 2016, so why would that be even if technically it wasn’t code approved? The document inside gives comparisons between compatible xenon strobes that will sync to the LEDs, but that is odd in itself.
I wish they would allow it, because I honestly love the LED Exceder’s design.

Wheelock’s specifically states to not install the LED’s in the same area as the Xenon’s. They can be on the same circuit without messing up the sync, but they aren’t supposed to be within viewing area of each other since they’ll be slightly off. simplex’s LED’s on the other hand can be on the same circuits and in the same areas of xenon’s… really, simplex did a much better job with their devices than wheelock did (lower current draw too), wheelock was first to market by a few years though.

Most places haven’t adopted the 2016 codes yet so the wheelock LED’s are still perfectly acceptable in most areas, and with AHJ approval you can override it anyways.

the simplex led truealerts look good too (and unlock wheelock, they have a weatherproof version).

As far as LEDs, I have only seen them once and they were EST-branded. Might be seeing more once the Simplex ones start getting installed, but who knows?

EST branded ones are Wheelock. Wheelock makes them and slaps a EST cover plate on top because Wheelock made a deal with EST to rebrand Wheelock LED Exceder Products.

I’m well aware of that.

One thing I’ve noticed is there’s no listed 15/75 cd setting. I wonder if either the 15 or 75 cd fulfill that need?