Prototype LED horn strobe

Would there be a conventional option that’s similar or is this design only addressable?

Since we’re only talking in hypotheticals right now, sure, there can be a conventional version. Just subtract the LED and addressable module and windows. The vast majority of systems I install are addresable, and I’m not a fan of conventional systems for anything reqiring more than 3-4 devices, but conventional pulls still have their place.

I’ll make a modified version and post it in a little bit.

I definitely agree with the fact that the way a device is installed can make a major difference in its appearance. I just find it somewhat disappointing that the wall-mount Genesis, using a traditional xenon strobe, still manages to keep a lower profile (and has much less backbox intrusion) than the LED Exceder/Genesis, which is a newer device using a much smaller LED strobe.

I own both a normal Genesis (G1R-HDVM) and an LED Genesis (GL1RF-HDVMC), and while the difference in size isn’t major, it’s still noticeable. Nonetheless, the overall profile of the LED Exceder/Genesis remains quite low compared to pretty much any other strobe available on the North American market.

It’s interesting to note that the bulk of the space used up in the Wheelock LED Exceders is for the horn circuitry and piezo. With the exception of the large capacitor on the rear of the device, the footprint of the LED strobe is very small.

It’s almost as if, while everyone has been distracted by the size of the strobes, Edwards has perfected the design of a low-profile piezo horn. Wheelock, on the other hand, focused most of their design effort on making the LED strobe a viable product, resulting in the design of the horn itself being neglected.

This is all speculation of course, but it makes me wonder how small a device utilizing a Wheelock LED Strobe and Edwards piezo horn technology could potentially be.

That’s a very interesting remark; I hadn’t noticed that the Exceder’s horn occupied so much space. Indeed, using a smaller piezo unit (such as the one from the Genesis) in a device similar to Harrison’s prototype could perhaps create a horn/strobe that has both an extremely slim profile and minimal backbox intrusion, therefore allowing the LED strobe’s small size to be used to its full potential.

Already a company in China making something similar and one in the US. Getting through UL is going to be difficult. They are working on and have been changing the LED based strobe requirements. Pulse duration and other factors are impacting getting to market.

Nice idea!!