Rare Smoke Detectors

Interesting story. Those SA76RS units were the predecessor to the SA76RC.

Right! The SA76RS also has a mechanical type horn, whereas the RC has an almost continuously sounding piezo horn.

There are even further variations of these First Alert alarms. The SA76RC had both types of piezo horns (the earlier one had three holes and the later one had only one central hole). The SA120 had all the same components that the SA76RC had and it had an escape light. First Alert’s latest “old-style cover” design (as I call it) which was the SA67D, had the newer piezo horn and a newer black sensor. I own a SA67D. first Alert also came out with special Light Test alarms (I own three) around 1993. They had the same components that the SA67D had except there was a light sensor type thing in place of the LED (located under the test button).

There are countless variants of First Alert/BRK alarms floating around.
From what I can tell, their first detector was the SA76RS in the mid 70’s. There was also an early double sensor model, called the BRK model 3000, or the First Alert SA300. It had a clear test button and also a black protruding cone test button on the opposite side of the cover for the photo sensor. It also had a mechanical horn. Many BRK alarms were also sold under the Sears brand with different cover designs.
Then came the 1980’s with First Alert’s SA80FC and all those piezo alarms, like the 76RC and later the 67D. It also seems that there was an early SA67D (from the mid-late 80’s) with a thicker ring around the outside edge of the cover. The later models (starting from the early 90’s I believe) had a lower profile ring, giving the detector a smaller diameter. The later smaller 67D’s were often labeled as 83R, and I have several from the early 90’s with this 83R label.

And this isn’t even getting into their AC alarms…

Now for some pics!
Here is a First Alert SA300 from a 1983 AT&T smoke alarm monitoring ad. I wonder if this device is as good at picking up the tone from mechanical horns as piezo horns.

And this is the later (early-90’s) version of the SA67D. There was an earlier version that was almost identical except for a larger diameter ring on the outside edge of the cover.

Sears did indeed rebrand the BRK 3000. It had a different cover but the BRK version had a cover that looked like the SA769AC. I have seen many many SA67D’s. BRK’s version of the 83R had a different cover but the same components. My uncle has a 67D in his kitchen that always goes off whenever he’s cooking something. We then all get up and wave whatever is in our hands at it. The SA76RS had a regular squealer horn, and i don’t think any models had piezo horns. I think the SA76RC was the only detector to have the piezo horn with three holes (though some versions had the modern horn). After that, all their detectors had the modern piezo horn with only one hole. found a few videos of these BRKs / first alerts:

Sears rebranded BRK 3000 :

First Alert SA80FC:

First Alert SA67D (mine):

BRK 83R:

Yeah most of the 67D’s that I’ve seen are labeled as First Alert 83R, from the early 90’s. When this generation 67D was phasing out in about 97 or so, you could find some models that said First Alert SA67D, instead of the 83R tag. I have one of the last SA67D’s, before they switched to the “smiley face” design with the wing nut shaped test button shown here.

Did you know there were two different generations of the SA67D? That’s right, there’s the one that you shared, and then there was an earlier model from the mid to late 80’s with a bigger cover.

This video explains. Basically the biggest difference is the diameter of the cover.

It’s worth watching just cause it’s so informative (Thank you NLind, or FireAlarmFan, for making such a great video).

At 1:34 is the old generation of the SA67D I mentioned. The predecessor to the 83R-labeled early-90’s SA67D’s.

Wow, I have never noticed the difference. I guess mine is a later smaller cover design from 1993. But it’s actually labelled as SA67D, but the box says 83R, interesting. My three Light test models also have the small cover, and they’re also from 1993. That video of First Albert’s 80’s alarms was very informative.

Edit: First Alert’s. Autofix does not like me today.

Yeah, I think the early 90’s is the cutoff point for commonly found detectors. Once you start getting into the 80’s and 70’s, they get unbelievably rare. About the only 80’s detector I see still hanging around in some old homes is the late 80’s Black and Decker Flamebuster. The rectangular GE with the red button in the middle, with the lower pitched rapid piezo. Sounds kinda like a PA400 and a microwave had a kid together.

Sometimes you will find a gem on eBay though. I am still waiting for a SA76RS to pop up. Those are super rare though. I think they might have been discontinued in 79 or 80.

On the plus side, I just found a couple 80’s ESL system smokes on eBay. I ordered those right away… They are models 523C, and 445CT. The 523C has Fire-Lite tags on it.

I see those on eBay. The ones I see have sounders. Do you know if those use piezo horns or the old electromechanical horns?

The 320CX series is from the mid/late 80’s to the early 90’s I believe. It uses a piezo horn. I’ve never heard one go off, but my guess is that they sound like a Gentex smoke alarm.
I don’t think I’ve ever seen one installed either. They use ESL’s characteristic “blue” sounder.

1 Like

A hotel in Fort Dodge, IA has/had them installed in the rooms (as of 2001), and our YMCA used them as door closer activators. The characteristic “blue” sounder ESL uses are MuRata PKM29 series sounders. Sound Components (Buzzer) | Electronic Components | Murata Manufacturing Co., Ltd.

These are/were also used in EST’s 792 mini horns and horn/strobes, Kidde/Nighthawk’s CO alarms and another CO alarm whose brand escapes me right now. They were triangular in shape.

That’s for sure. Here’s their 1983 lineup:

Battery models. Definitely like the 1200. I also have the 79DCRI, I’ll have to dig it out.

Hardwired Models.

These are from my Fire King catalog binder. There’s also a page for the 79R, which evidently came out in 1981.
I also remember a variant of the 769AC models that had a battery backup, saw one on eBay years ago.

Very cool, FireAlarmFan!!! The real smoke alarm maestro.

BTW I used to have a BRK 3001. I had no idea they came out so early. The one I bought was in 2002… And the cover design didn’t change a bit over 20 years. Must be a really bulletproof design.

I have seen one 79R somewhere. Now I know what it is!

My old church had some First Alert alarms. In the first room, there was a '93 style 83R. In the next room was an older alarm with a white domed test button. It’s been so long I can’t remember what it was, but it appeared to be the 80’s style SA67D. I know there was another 80’s 67D with a clear button in another room.
The unit with the white domed button could have been a 76RC? But the side vents weren’t quite as big and open. Oh I forget.

One last comment, we had the First Alert model. It’s model number was SA301B. Similar to the BRK 3001.

Those are some interesting advertisements. Thanks for posting them! The cover of the 79R looks similar to the mastercraft. And it’s quite ironic that they also made a model 1200. My Lifesaver/Fyrnetics is also model 1200!

I just checked ebay, there’s a Teledyne-Water Pik smoke detector model D-1 like GameAlarm’s on YouTube. It’s even got the box!

I have an old First Alert SA90LT. It has almost nothing to it. I believe this one is an older model than the other one that was shown because on the back sticker it has no website for First Alert.

I always used to see those models with the gold test buttons. I used to be concerned that light hitting the detector the wrong way could cause it to trigger an alarm.

Now here’s something rare that I’ve never seen before. A Smokey Stover 4202 smoke detector. A cover shot, then a quick test. Looks like it was made in the mid 80’s or so.