Rare Smoke Detectors

I found a battery.
Here’s a link to explanation of the battery, it specifically mentions “vintage devices”:

And here’s where I’m going to buy it:
http://www.mdbattery.com/mage_upgrade/special-application/special-application/12v-lithium-manganese-dioxide-battery-neda-1810-exell-228l.html
It should work!

Nice, go for it! It should work fine.

Here’s a First Alert smoke alarm commercial from 1991. Pause it at :21… And you will see the 2nd generation SA67D. This generation with the more compact ring as shown here:

This means the more streamlined 2nd Gen came out earlier than 1993. It might have even come out earlier than 1991.

Lastly, here is a link to a topic I created about a video of the differences between the two generations of SA67D.

<URL url="The Two Generations of First Alert SA67D]The Two Generations of First Alert SA67D]

Great video! I honestly never noticed the difference, although I notice it now.
On another topic, my Entronic Vigilante should be here tomorrow. I will make a video of unboxing, and when the battery comes I will make a testing video

Thanks, I’m looking forward to that video. I have a feeling I will win the SA76RS. It’s the first First Alert from probably 1975-1979 and has the original brass squealer horn. I am definitely making a video of that one.

I have been thinking- Did the SA76RS come out in 1976 because of the model number?

BTW here are pics of the box and manual for the SA76RD.

As you can see here, there is an ad for the older SA120 (Basically the SA76RC with an escape light) on the box, however in the manual, it lists the newer replacement for that model, the SA120C, or model 1201.

Here is the cover to the manual. Detector model numbers SA67D, SA76RD, SA80FD, and SA81D are all grouped together under the generic 83R label, even though the SA80FD is a slightly different variant from earlier years, as I explained earlier in reference to one of FireAlarmFan’s videos.

Another picture showing the 83R vs. the model 1201 with the escape light.

And finally, the date code on the manual. This manual was printed in 1987, so that’s the oldest year this detector could have been made.

I don’t think the SA76RS and SA76RC were only made in 1976 because they are very different, but the RS could have first premiered in 1976 though. I know the RC came out in the early 80’s. I don’t think that the SA120 came out too later than those. Here’s a video of the SA120:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvFkTPsDKjg (NLind’s video)

Interesting, yeah and plus there’s no way the SA67 came out in 1967 :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ve seen that vid and it’s one of my favorites!

I believe the SA76RS premiered in the mid-late 70’s, then the 76RC might have come out in 1980. I have no resources to confirm that though. I have been looking at old newspaper ads from 76-84, and I see ads for these old First Alerts. This can kind of give me an idea of when they were sold.

Yeah, according to some magazine articles, the first ad I’ve seen for the SA76RS is in 1977. The last one was around 1979. As for the SA76RC, ads ranged from 1980-1985. In 85-86, I imagine they switched over to the hinged cover design with the SA67D generations, lasting till about 1996-7.

I agree with that. Anyway, my Entronic Vigilante came about 5 mins ago! It has a brass squealer horn and it surprisingly contains 0.05 uCi of Ra. 226.
Unboxing video:

Testing coming soon!

Nice I will be waiting for that!

Well, I won the SA76RS! When it arrives I will make a video of it, comparing it to similar BRK models as well.
I also found a lot of cheap Family Gard branded 1839N smoke alarms. I bought one of those too, so I will make a video of that as well.

Benson41011- I know you want an 1839 detector, so here is the link to the cheap ones. There are 8 left!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=151202504678

Congratulations! I was watching the auction and hoping you get it.
Might want to look into getting one of those family guards as well, since I don’t have the family guard 1839.

Thank you! There are a lot of First Alert alarms from the 1991 era on eBay right now. I saw an Escape Light model with the gold button, several plain Light Test models, and a few Light Tests with the silence button on the cover, as well as the 90’s era SA67D.

1 Like

Unfortunately, my mom won’t let me get the FG1839N in the link you posted. I’m really after an old SA769AC like the two in my Aunt and Uncle’s house. They’re selling their house and I’m never gonna go back to their old house again :frowning: . BTW, congratulations on winning the RS! I can’t wait for the video. I haven’t bought the battery for my Entronic because I’m waiting for my local electronics store to reply to the email I sent them asking if they had that battery.

I think I’ve seen an SA769AC in service in a commercial building as an elevator recall device. The building was torn down in about 2004. It’s been so long I don’t remember exactly what it was, but that’s my best guess as to what it was. It looked a little bit like a Firex FXW-1A too. They do look similar.

That would be something to look into.

Oh, and for anybody with THIS

Firex smoke alarm (FXW-1A or FX1020) there are several interconnect relays for those detectors on eBay. They are rare and cool, but kind of expensive for their age.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FIREX-RM1103-1-FIRE-ALARM-SMOKE-DETECTOR-RELAY-MODULE-NIB-/330820226968?pt=BI_Security_Fire_Protection&hash=item4d066c0f98

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FIREX-RM1103-1-FIRE-ALARM-SMOKE-DETECTOR-RELAY-MODULE-/230985900824?pt=BI_Security_Fire_Protection&hash=item35c7d52318

My grandparents have those installed and working in their house. Don’t they have mechanical horns in them?