Revert the forum theme

I opened the MCP to move Synther’s intro post to the correct forum and thread and something needs more work. See attached screen shot.

I for one welcome the new theme. It looks clean and logical.

Nice work staff! It’s great to have a custom theme again. I know how much of a pain it can be to work out the bugs with a custom phpBB theme. Everyone, please just give them some time and patience. :wink:

[quote=Synther post_id=81782 time=1537864002 user_id=4639] As far as I know, this new theme was completely unasked for, and you guys made the decision without asking the rest of the people who actually use the site. [/quote]

Synther, if you look in the suggestion box, you’ll see that multiple users have requested a new theme since 2015. It’s been on the staff’s to-do list for quite some time. I tried to address it when I was an admin, but never really had the time to figure things out. I’m glad to see that the new staff is taking great care of the forum since I retired.

[quote=TheAlmightyZach post_id=81778 time=1537854572 user_id=3249] [quote=Alexis_T post_id=81777 time=1537854411 user_id=3602]

It does allow local theme switching, à few forums I am registered on have multiple website themes that you can choose.

[/quote]

Unless I missed something during our testing phase, due to the nature of this theme in particular, I do not believe there is a way for us to offer multiple variants of this theme, at least not at this time. I will, however, look into it with the team to see if a dark theme may somehow be an option.

[/quote]

This is weird… Normally there’s a drop-down to change which theme you’re using, if it’s not here Maybe a config file somewhere (last time I tinkered with Phpbb that was like… Something as long as the Chinese wall) must be disabling it.

[quote=Alexis_T post_id=81789 time=1537892136 ]

This is weird… Normally there’s a drop-down to change which theme you’re using, if it’s not here Maybe a config file somewhere (last time I tinkered with Phpbb that was like… Something as long as the Chinese wall) must be disabling it.

[/quote]

You’re right, but this theme works a little differently. We’d have to install not only a second version of the theme, but also an extension. It is something we will be testing, because I also like the idea of a dark theme.

[quote="Retired STR-SG" post_id=81786 time=1537880479 user_id=3047]

I opened the MCP to move Synther’s intro post to the correct forum and thread and something needs more work. See attached screen shot.

[/quote]

This is… yeah we’ll work on that.

[quote=TheAlmightyZach post_id=81785 time=1537878625 user_id=3249]

As for the mark forum as read button, this is something that we can admit and say we didn’t notice it was missing. However, this doesn’t mean that we can’t add it ourselves here, so we will look into what is necessary and I’m sure we can get that button back in the near future.

[/quote]

For the longest time, I was going to suggest a feature where a user can mark individual topics as read. Don’t know about anyone else here, but there are quite a few topics that I really don’t care about. Sure, I could just open the new topic in a new tab and then close it immediately (and/or go through all topics I care about and mark the rest as unread), but I feel like it’s not worth it for me personally.

[quote=firealarmveteran15 post_id=81795 time=1537913336 user_id=854]

For the longest time, I was going to suggest a feature where a user can mark individual topics as read. Don’t know about anyone else here, but there are quite a few topics that I really don’t care about. Sure, I could just open the new topic in a new tab and then close it immediately (and/or go through all topics I care about and mark the rest as unread), but I feel like it’s not worth it for me personally.

[/quote]

Not too sure that’s an option due to the nature of the software we use, phpBB, to run the site. You can always unfollow a topic, but I understand that is not what you’re really looking for. We’ll look into it, but I can’t make any promises of anything.

[quote=firealarmveteran15 post_id=81795 time=1537913336 user_id=854] [quote=TheAlmightyZach post_id=81785 time=1537878625 user_id=3249]

As for the mark forum as read button, this is something that we can admit and say we didn’t notice it was missing. However, this doesn’t mean that we can’t add it ourselves here, so we will look into what is necessary and I’m sure we can get that button back in the near future.

[/quote]

[/quote]

I have never heard of such a feature in any forum that I’ve been on; it’s likely pretty rare for such a feature to pop up on a basic forum due to its limitations.
(oooh, there’s an auto-expand feature so if you have tons of paragraphs it’ll lengthen the height of the text box? How nice).

[quote=Synther post_id=81784 time=1537864373 user_id=4639]

Because editing posts apparently no-longer exists, ill just make a new post.
There isnt a “mark forums read” button. Just another reason to do away with the new theme…

[/quote]

You apparently have the “New Participant” rank. By default, those who do not achieve standard status can’t edit posts.

Can you guys at least add the option to switch back to the old theme?

Not at this time. The old theme was ultimately temporary following some compatibility issues between our orignal theme and our PHPBB software - it has always been our intention to refresh the forum with a clean, modern theme to serve our evolving community.

We on the forum staff are putting a lot of work into revamping the site with the new theme, as well as some other new updates and features. We hope you will come to enjoy them as you navigate the site!

And with that, since we are all set to go, I will be locking this topic. Should anyone find any unknown bugs with the theme, please create a new post regarding that in The Suggestion Box. Please note: Everything users mentioned with the current theme is actively being addressed.

Thank you! And we are excited for the next steps forward for TFP.