Simplex Panel Questions

That it pretty neat and also in my opinion very smart, it makes it possible to make less different types of PCBs. It is also nice for us collectors to only have to buy one keypad for all products. That makes me wonder if someone has successfully converted a standard keypad to a fire one. I will (hopefully) be getting this on the wall soon. My house is getting work done soon, and the contractor will put up a board in my room for me.

So I have confirmed, the only thing left in the school are its 4602-9101 RCU and its -9102 SCU, and I can have it but I need to do two things.
I need to get a cover for the backbox (6 Gang) I found one but its $15 and Ill need two, so if anyone knows of something better priced that would be helpful.
Also the electricians were unable to get them out of the wall, upon attempt they stripped the screws on the RCU so Ill probably have to drill the screws out. I am not sure as I haven’t put much research in, but I think they are tamper resistant, but don’t know what their protection is, my guess is that it is right to loosen and left to tighten, but I haven’t put in the research so don’t quote me on that. If you know of the top of your head let me know. But back to the main questions, if you know of a cover plate let me know and also is it safe to drill the screws out (on the trim plate)?

Menards sells modular wall plate covers. They snap together to form any sized cover plate you need.

Make sure any product you choose is approved and installed by the electricians.

End sections: Pardon Our Interruption

Middle Sections: Pardon Our Interruption

Both are right at $1.79, so 6 pieces would run you $10.74. Double that and you’re at $21.48. I’d say that’s a fair trade-off for this equipment.

As supplied from the factory the RCU and SCU were supplied with slotted screws and Torx screws for the trim plate. I think the Torx were T-15. It is possible the screws were replaced with tamper proof types.

Those screws go through the device mounting plate to the box holes. Drilling them out will not hit any circuit board or other components. The device mounting plate is held to the box by two other screws that will become visible when the trim plate is removed. Below are two drawings pulled from RCU/SCU documentation. The top one shows the boxes they can mount in and the lower one is an exploded view of how it assembles.

Here are Dropbox links to the complete documents.

Thanks, these actually look like something you would normally see, the only one I could find was just a metal cover.

Yeah from what I remember the RCU had Torx screws while the SCU had the normal slotted ones.

Also been busy with school so haven’t gotten the chance to reply till now.

Another quick update, I have pulled all clipped wires out and will over the long weekend will be cleaning out the panel. Something I noticed is that there were 2 sets of wires going into the AC terminals one that went to the breaker box and the other went to this small unit double sided tapped into the backbox.
Picture:

The black box is an AC line surge suppressor.

I know this is slightly leaving the topic “Simplex Panel Questions”

I called the installers, and they say that they do not lock out their panels. But they also recommend I not use the xr5sl because it was poorly designed, and with firmware updates they just kept getting worse, and the fact that this one was still functional in the building was a miracle. They recommended a Silent Knight communicator, but the programmers for them are WAY out of my price range. (Cheapest I’ve found is $200ish) Although I looked into it and the xr5 supports Ademco Contact ID communication, using this with the AlarmReceiver module in FreePBX I should be able to get this to work.
Now comes to my stupidity. I don’t know much about VOIP or POTS. And something I cant seem to understand is how the RJ45 connectors on the panel don’t work with VOIP (unless they do and I am not reading the spec sheet correctly) And every VOIP to POTS adapter puts out into an RJ11 connector, would a standard RJ11 to 45 cable work?

Also thats what I thought it was, thanks .

Just to put it on the record for anyone viewing this topic, I strongly disagree with this statement. DMP equipment is extremely reliable, especially the modern XR series equipment. Not to mention it is designed and manufactured here in the U.S. with American workers.

There is no reason to expect DMP products to fail.

I am going to have to agree with Nick here. DMP Equipment has no reason to fail. When i first was introduced to DMP i was “scared” and really didn’t want to work with any DMP Products. After working with them for quite some time, i must say, DMP Products are very reliable and well built. The modern XR Equipment is unbelievable, and how Nick referenced, they are proudly manufactured in the United States.

I too agree with both of your statements. Working in the EMS/Fire Safety program my MAGNET school has, I have seen the strength and build quality of their products. They even have Ethernet and networking support! I lot of businesses around here also have their burgler alarms and some banks here have their alarm systems as well. Nick and Samson are right, they have very durable and quality projects. (A good thing for high school students practicing with them in the lab.)

I trust the opinion of the people here on the forum, especially when multiple people are agreeing with it more than just one person at a small company, so I will be keeping and using the DMP panel, although I am still interested in this

I may just have to play around with it and see what works.