What is the most effective fire alarm sound?

Ah. I have to agree: that is a nice sound, definitely attention-getting too.

Just like that , but a more rapid ringing sound.

You already said that.

All sorts of tones derived from sirens. No matter it’s a real mechanical siren or an electronic siren tone / slow whoop tone.

IMO, the most effective signaling device would be a loud 60 cycle buzzer on code 3 or 4-4(-4-4) for use in very noisy areas; areas with extreme noise levels would use a mechanical siren. Quieter areas would use single stroke bells or chimes (medical facilities, libraries and offices) with the same coding.

I think it would just be better to settle on both a pulsing pattern & a sound that’s ideal in most situations so choosing which one for which location is not necessary (we can go with temporal 3 right off the bat for the pulsing pattern since it’s the “Audible Emergency Evacuation Signal” as defined by NFPA 72, ANSI S3.41, & even ISO 8201:2017).

IMO, t-3 should be the internationally required standard fire alarm coding, and a 520hz square wave should be required internationally for use in sleeping areas, but apart from that, companies should experiment with their own broadband tone

1 Like

Depends on where the alarm is being placed, for example in a sleeping area you would want a low-frequency sounder. But I think any mechanical horn should do the trick in a large open space.

A lot of vintage mechanical horns would be able to produce the low frequency sound buzzer that does just the trick in sleeping areas.

It’s more specific than that. 520hz square wave +/- 10%