What Sirens does your city Have?

[quote="Fire alarms are cool" post_id=86072 time=1580475098 user_id=4187] [quote=Alexis_T post_id=86041 time=1580235794 user_id=3602] [quote="Fire alarms are cool" post_id=85980 time=1579526795 user_id=4187]

This yellow siren (or smokestack) is at that abandoned superfund chemical plant that I mentioned months ago in Lowell, NC. It is disturbing to think that such a small place would need a full on SIREN. Welllllllllll, they DID use formaldehyde and other nasty stuff there along with the following incidents:

1:formaldehyde spill in the late 1990s/early 2000s
2: Barrel fire in a filterpress that lit up some other tanks
3: ASBESTOS
4: LEAD PAINT
5: WWTP spill in 2019 (even though abandoned, due to vandals)

[/quote]

Given that Sentry 3V8 is painted yellow, I would not be surprised that it was used as a Civil Defense siren rather than a ChemSpi (Chemical Spill) warning siren.

However most Civil Defense sirens were dual-tone (had two sets of opening on the rotor, such as 8/12 and 10/12), and AFAIK I think 3V8s were often 8-port.

[/quote]

OH. MY. GOD. THANK YOU FOR IDENTIFYING IT! My first guess is a CD siren as it IS a small community and according to some file hopper tabs on my PC (you can find these in general talk section.) dates from 1958 (original construction) 1961 (new company comes in and tears down old buildings) and 1962 (MOST but not ALL new buildings constructed and opened for production of dyes)

[/quote]

Going off of this I gathered this siren was used for these reasons:
Storms (local)
Chemical Spill (Local, onsite)
Civil Defense (the siren was installed in 1977)
Break/start day/end day whistles

Updates:
Ranlo has a FS STH-10, When I saw it a while ago it looked like a 3T22
Lowell has a Sentry 7V8 (Yellow)

Just noticed this yesterday.

I’m not into tornado sirens, and genuinely don’t know really any names, so sorry if I mixed these up. I think our cities run off of mainly Whelens, however we have some other brands of sirens around. Genuinely, I don’t really pay attention much to our local sirens because our NOAA Weather Radio stations are 95% of the time faster than the sirens are to alert.

Warsaw, MO has 2 STH-10s, 2 Eclipse-8s, and 1 2001-130.

I live in South Sacramento, California, so my city doesn’t have tornado sirens. Sorry about that.

Our city used to have a Whelen Vortex finback, but was removed in December 2014 for the Emergency Alert System.

Federal signal 2001 SRNs, SRNBs and 130s in Ann Arbor, MI; they USED to have Whelen speakers but those 2001s replaced them

My city has 6 STH-10s (5 are inactive and 1 is tested on Severe Weather Awareness Week). There are also a couple of mystery sirens (presumed inactive) and 3 active Modulators (privately owned). There is also my home built siren the Alterator A-8S.

I think my city uses federal signal sirens

mine has a inactive 3t22 and a recently broken whelen vortex, so my town technically has no sirens except these two. The 3t22 also has strange covers on top of the horn cones to avoid snow coming in the horns. The vortex actually broke in the May 12 Derecho since i was in it and they never fixed it. I told them if they would fix it but they said that they would just leave it and have no sirens for a while. Overall, the closest siren i could hear is a Model 5 nearby in the town of Dolton, SD. (i live 3 or so miles from there)

I live in dallas and we have FS 2001-130s and we have an old thunderbolt system (no longer in service)

There used to be an Fs thunderbolt. Was replaced by something else. Not quite sure what. There’s one really close to my house

no siren within any town/ciy around me. Tornadoes aren’t a problem in the pacific northwest.

A mix really there are some federal signal 2001-130s 2001srns (2) I think like 2 inactive thunderbolts and 1 electronic fs siren that i cant remeber the model of rn

My town used to have 2 Federal Signal RSH-10’s, 3 XT22’s, and a thunderbolt. Around 2011, they were all replaced with Federal Signal 2001-130’s. They also added an eclipse 8 in a new part of town that previously did not have any coverage.

Although in Puyallup there are sirens for Lahar in case Mt.Rainier erupts. https://youtu.be/KQ4XRfO6_os

Omaha uses an ASC system. Most of the sirens are T-128s. There are also a few FS 2001s, including a round back DC.