Which fire alarm brand do you like the best?

There are so many really good and well made fire alarm brands, especially for the right application.

I think Xtralis (now a Honeywell Brand) has done an awesome job with their Air Aspirating equipment.
System Sensor’s Beam Detectors 1224S has been a great and reliable product for me.
For a small system JumpStart on Firelite/Silent Knigh is a great feature.
Last but certainly not least, the Hochiki made Simplex heads will probably out last some of the buildings they’re installed in.

I answered Siemens. I think Siemens system has the best balance of competitive solutions, localized national presence through both Siemens Branches as well as through private distribution (so not proprietary like the other big name), they offer migration plans for their older products, and they offer some great IP remote viewing features at much lower costs than the competition.

One’s decision I think will largely depend on whether they are a contractor or an end user. Contractors are typically most concerned with installation cost/support and owners are most concerned with long term costs and quality of customer service. Some companies look to create a monopoly and lock customers into high, long term service costs.

I am interested in knowing why others pick their preferred manufacturer.

It looks like Simplex and Other brand not listed are tied for the most votes.

I really can’t count other brands on there because they could mean any type of brand. But it looks like most people like Simplex the best.

I feel like my choice was a no brainer given my username :lol:

I like Edwards, simply because I’ve grown up around Edwards systems, and I mean they were everywhere. At one point, I could count on one hand the systems around my city that were something other than Edwards. Pretty much every elementary school had a 6500 (some still had original Edwards panels from the late 50s). Now a days, Mircom has been taking over for the schools, and Notifier everywhere else. I rarely see any Simplex systems.

What was the Wheelock lawsuit about? Did Wheelock just accuse Faraday of ripping off Wheelock electromechanical horns? That’s crap!

In fact, Faraday (now part of Siemens) has a unique sound with their electromechanical horns, so how did they steal from Wheelock?

I’m with “Simplex 4051” on this one!

They accused them of ripping off the Wheelock MT, the tones were nearly the same.

Yeah and they don’t make electromechanical horns anymore anyways. They’re too expensive to produce.

OK, good to know and the Wheelock MT thing makes sense and thus it looks like Simplex is the next one to get sued…

Uhh, no they’re not.

Are you saying that, because I didn’t call them Johnson Controls?

No because they won’t get sued. They didn’t do anything to warrant anything like that. Simplex makes careful business decisions and besides has always been a respectable company.

I was thinking about that multi-tone True Alert…

It has distinct tones that do not resemble the MT, so no.

It actually does in the case of the 4901-9856; The tones except for the horn are the same, besides the tones being higher pitched.