Intresting system at hotel I stayed at.

I got some really pics at a hotel in boca raton florida.

In the rooms a unknown simplex mini horn.

In the hallways the smokes are truealarms and truealerts:

and the pull stations are only in the main lobby.

A Intresting simplex elevator recall notification light it has the old simplex 90’s logo

and I tried to get it as quick as I could asking the guy to go into the back room to get towels. Couldn’t get a clear shot of it but:

The rooms have no strobes and this is a fairly new hotel so I’m confused.

how is it interesting?
There probably aren’t strobes in many of the rooms because they wouldn’t be needed for people who aren’t deaf. There are probably a few rooms that have strobes, for people with special needs (IE hearing disabilities, etc.)

Well it was Interesting to me because of the components in it and because I haven’t seen a system like it before because most of my town has simplex systems with true alerts. But since you collect more than I do you probably have seen more of these components. But if it’t not interesting to you that’s fine…[FLUSHED FACE]

Only a certain number of rooms in a hotel require visual notification per code for the hearing impaired. High candela strobes are high current draw, which means you can only put a few on a circuit. This means more fire alarm power supply’s (which means more batteries to service), and a lot more wire to be pulled during initial installation, so it’s not cost effective to put them in every room. Smoke detectors with a local audible alarm are the only thing required in all of the other rooms, and visual appliances are required in all other common areas (corridors, lobbies, business centers, public restrooms, etc.). There’s a table in the IBC (907.5.2.3.3 in the 2012 edition) that tells how many rooms are required for hearing impaired based on the size of the hotel. For example, 6-25 sleeping rooms require 2 rooms with strobes. 26-50 requires 4, 51-75 requires 7, 76-100 requires 9, etc… 501-1000 rooms requires 5% to be hearing impaired rooms, and 1001 and over requires 50 plus 3 per every 100 rooms over 1,000.

In a high-rise, typically defined as 4 stories or a building with occupiable floors over 75 feet above the lowest point of access for the fire department (ladder trucks are apparently good for 75 feet, so anything over what the ladder truck can reach is considered a high-rise and has special requirements), voice evac systems are required. With new intelligibility requirements, you might start to see speakers in every room in jurisdictions that enforce it. This has only been enforced on military bases so far from what I’ve seen though.

Anyone know what that mini horn is? Is it a Simplex one or did simplex re-brand it?

As near as I can deduce it is a Simplex 2901-9837. That unit matches a Gentex GX90-4W. Most likely Gentex private labeled it for Simplex.

Private label manufacturing is common in all industries. In fire alarm, there are a lot of devices that are private labeled. Especially low volume items that would be too costly to manufacture “in house” for the number sold.