Fire Alarms in Buildings (2.0)

Discussion of all things related to fire alarms, including alarm systems, fire alarm collections, sirens, sprinklers, fire drills, evacuations, actual fires, building architecture, other kinds of safety drills like tornado and earthquake drills and such, etc.
idontwannaknow
Serious Participant
Serious Participant

Alright, so remember when I reported on the Duffy's Sports Grill near my hotel in Sunny Isles Beach with E70s? Well guess what, with the help of our good friend Google Maps, i have discovered every single Duffy's has speaker/strobes. From E70s/E90s/ET70WPs to Advances to Genesi, and I believe I saw one Gentex speaker/strobe. Not a single horn spotted. It's funny because they're all typical restaurant sizes yet have voice evac. Is there a reason behind this, and has anyone else seen stuff similar to it?
blm // he/him
idontwannaknow
Serious Participant
Serious Participant

idontwannaknow wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 8:38 pm The Schaumberg Boomers stadium probably has a Simplex 4100(U) system with Simplex rectangular NAs, most likely 4903-9142 speaker strobes as well as 4904-9137 strobes, put surprisingly everywhere not outside. All pull stations are Simplex 2099-9795s.
I came back, and that system had been completely replaced. They now have a Notifier NFS2-640 with Wheelock ET70WPs on trim plates replacing the -9142s and Exceeder strobes replacing the -9137s. I saw one E70 in a kitchen and an E90 in an elevator room with a 951-series smoke detector connected to said elevator. Wheelock RSSWPs are mounted at all entrances. Pulls are NBG12s encased in STI Stopper II covers, same ones that- me forgetting to say- utilized the old Simplex pulls from the previous system.

I was not expecting this LOL.
blm // he/him
wiley209
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

Today I did a very special K-O the Kangaroo appearance, at Fenway Park in Boston MA for celebrating Wally the Green Monster's birthday! (Go Red Sox!) I've been there a few times in the past, but never really paid attention to their alarm system until today. They have a Gamewell-FCI voice-evac system! According to this documentation from the Gamewell-FCI website, it's an E3-series system. The alarms largely consist of Wheelock E50 speaker/strobes in enclosed areas, Wheelock ET70WP speaker/strobes everywhere else, and a few RSS remote strobes for additional coverage. The pulls are addressable MS-7s (their version of the BG-12) with Stopper covers. Some had the newer Gamewell-FCI logo and full-sized Stopper II covers, others had the older FCI logo and the "mini" Stopper covers. This suggests they may have had a slightly older FCI voice-evac system prior to the E3 (and that is probably when the Wheelock speaker/strobes were installed), and that this is a direct upgrade.
RJARRRPCGP
Casual Participant
Casual Participant
YouTube Username: RJARRRPCGP

Uh oh! Looks like the Wheelock 7001Ts were touched, but not expelled in the usual way! Looks like in the best case, the strobes were removed and thus turned into a flush-mount version of a 34T! But it's extremely likely that the horn was left there, even when disconnected, as if it were an ancient pre-1970 horn! And possibly just the grille is there, but it looked like there could still be a horn in there, because I saw the screws in what looks like one of the most recent photos of Montshire Museum in Norwich, Vermont.

I wish it was like the Montshire Museum photo that appeared to be from 2011, where the Wheelock 7001Ts looked brand spankin' new!

The photos I saw, are on Facebook.

It looks like they're speaker-strobes under them.
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant
YouTube Username: Goldenrod636

Could you give us a link because we don't have any idea what you are talking about.
I'm exclusively on Skype now. Add me at amazee_dayzee. I don't do voice or video chats though.
RJARRRPCGP
Casual Participant
Casual Participant

Simplex 4051 wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 11:28 pm Could you give us a link because we don't have any idea what you are talking about.
The most recent one I can find:

https://www.facebook.com/montshiremuseu ... =3&theater

A fresh-looking one:

https://www.facebook.com/montshiremuseu ... 52/?type=3
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

Wow it looks like that they VIOLATED that poor 7001T. That looks awful. I would have just taken the whole alarm out and put a plate over it.
I'm exclusively on Skype now. Add me at amazee_dayzee. I don't do voice or video chats though.
Gentex SPK4
Casual Participant
Casual Participant

My new apartment in Lake Mary (Colonial Grand Heathrow) has a Silent Knight system in the clubhouse with Gentex Commander 2 horn/strobes and strobes inside. On the back patio however, there is a Wheelock ASWP ceiling mounted. Pulls are RSG T-Bars, and I believe there are SD505P smokes and unknown heat detector. The only smoke I saw was above the annunciator.

The apartments themselves have an unknown system of some sort, possibly a conventional Silent Knight system. There is a Potter bell outside each building, and each unit has Gentex GX91-W horns. There are First Alert smoke detectors in each unit. No other indicating devices noted.
BigKayCea
Casual Participant
Casual Participant

First United Methodist Church (Ferndale)

Annunciators/panel: Unknown, presumably Standard Electric

Pull stations:
>Standard 200177 models, all of which are mounted at non-ADA levels due to the system's age. At least one of them has faded white paint due to exposure to the elements.

Notification appliances:
>Each floor has one Standard Electric Model 50 fire horn with double projector attachments; each projector faces one direction of the hallway. It's worth noting that the only sections I saw the horns and pull stations in were the administrative/education wing of the building; there are no devices inside the chapel and multi-purpose room in the basement.
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

Is that horn AC or DC? I'm guessing DC right?
simplexspectralert
Casual Participant
Casual Participant

i actually brought the schools fire alarm to shcool
RJARRRPCGP
Casual Participant
Casual Participant

Applebee's in Rutland, Vermont:

I only saw a white Honeywell remote annunciator, looked more like a BACP, even when I wouldn't be surprised if there's fire alarm functionality.
Couldn't find any signals, I failed to even find a strobe, LOL. But based on a wall I saw, with a black outlet, I wouldn't be surprised if the building's from the pre-xenon-strobe-era.

The only possible indoor signal I saw, would have to be a ceiling speaker, and thus like a school PA.
BigKayCea
Casual Participant
Casual Participant

Simplex 4051 wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 4:50 pm Is that horn AC or DC? I'm guessing DC right?
I'm guessing it's probably DC, too, running on 12 volts. The horn is just like my National Time 311, but without the projector attachment.
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

So they would have sounded like these horns then?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4cD2HRsOSk
RJARRRPCGP
Casual Participant
Casual Participant

Simplex 4051 wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 4:52 am So they would have sounded like these horns then?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4cD2HRsOSk
The pitches remind me of 1990s and 2000s Faraday horns, but they seem to sound like a 4051 at the same time, LOL

Like a loose early-model DC Faraday (pre-6020 and pre-5505)