Fire Alarms in Buildings (2.0)

Discussion of all things related to fire alarms, including alarm systems, fire alarm collections, sirens, sprinklers, fire drills, evacuations, actual fires, building architecture, other kinds of safety drills like tornado and earthquake drills and such, etc.
RSSAlarms
Serious Participant
Serious Participant
YouTube Username: RSSAlarms

A closer view of the EST3 panel at my high school. (I had to censor out the name of the school on the LCD, and a phone number written on that label on the right corner. I did it for privacy reasons, the LCD isn’t normally blank like that)
”what is your major malfunction; numbnuts?”
-R. Lee Ermey
wiley209
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

Simplex 4051 wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:33 am
How did you come to the conclusion that there were originally 7001(T) horn/strobes there before? Was there any sign keft that they were there before they installed the Wheelock MTs?
They are mounted on weatherproof backboxes that are just the size for 7001(T)s. Plus, Wheelock's RP-Rs are just the exact same size as the 7001(T)s.
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant
YouTube Username: Goldenrod636

Yeah that would end up being a pretty good guess with all the evidence. I have to admit I am also known to take guesses on what alarms were in a building before an upgrade.
I'm exclusively on Skype now. Add me at amazee_dayzee. I don't do voice or video chats though.
BigKayCea
Casual Participant
Casual Participant

Mission Health Medical Center (Livonia) - This system description was originally posted on the forums prior to them becoming corrupted.

Panel/annunciator:
>One Notifier panel (pre-Honeywell, non-voice-evac, model unknown) in the main lobby

Detectors:
>System Sensor 2451-series photoelectric models
>Leftover System Sensor 1424-series ionization models from the original system, located near elevators
>Gentex 9000-series photoelectric models near elevators

Pull stations:
>NBG-12-series models
>Some leftover NBG-10-series models (with the hexagon key holes)

Notification appliances:
>The original devices consisted of System Sensor MASS 2415ADA horn/strobes on flush trim plates.
>The current devices consist of System Sensor SpectrAlert Advance horn/strobes and strobes, both wall and ceiling-mount (the original line, not the L-series).
Fire alarms are cool
Serious Participant
Serious Participant
YouTube Username: Horns and Strobes

(Note before I begin with my next noted locations: Teddy's Outlet in the mall does NOT have the same system ! ! !I only noticed because before It had its grand opening I peered in and thought I saw AS horn/strobes. Devices are Radionics rebranded MTs and nothing else seen)

Mount Holly Hospital (Caromont health):

PANEL: Unknown but most likely a Fire-Lite addressable or a Johnson Controls Metasys as a addressable keypad was noted by the doors (I did not glimpse the brand.)

PULLS AND SMOKES:
Johnson Controls BG 12LXs. (For some reason In the entrance hall there is 2 within 5 feet of each other)
No smokes seen

NOTIFICATION APPLIANCES:

Spectralert Advanced Horn/strobes.... Think about that... in a Hospital... and also ceiling mount advance in certain areas

OTHER SIGNALING DEVICES:
In a hall I notice some ceiling mount cone lights with labels
(Red: REC, BLUE: BASEMENT, ORANGE: CAT CLEAR: (Unreadable label)
Most likely for random machines around the place
Nurse call lights of unknown make

Charlotte Childrens theatre (I found this place walking around Charlotte and decided to see what it had in store!)

PANEL:
Unknown but most likely an EST 3

INITIATING DEVICES:
EST "Traffic cone" Smokes
Most likely some unseen 278-Bs in staff only rooms

NOTIFICATION APPLIANCE:
EST ceiling mount speaker/strobes
EST wall mount speaker/strobes

Unknown named hotel in Myrtle Beach, SC (Visited in 2017)

PANEL:
Some simplex with voice evacuation installed

INITIATING DEVICES:
Simplex 2451-20s with plastic stoppers covering them (Not by STI)
Simplex wiffleball smokes

NOTIFICATION APPLIANCES:
Simplex 2902-9739 speaker/strobes in hallways
On the top floor in the elevator lobby there is a single 4903-9142 mounted like the former 2902-9739 that sat there before
On the top floor in the same lobby there is a internet server room that has a Fenwel Halon Wheelock RSS next to the door
Rooms have a single 2902-9734 above the ceiling fan(s) in each of the units living rooms
Household smokes in bedrooms
not really active anymore
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

Hey if they feel like the population of elderly people is too much, all they need to do is send the ones with a weak heart to the hospital and do a fire drill. XD
I'm exclusively on Skype now. Add me at amazee_dayzee. I don't do voice or video chats though.
randomperson
Serious Participant
Serious Participant
YouTube Username: randomperson Fire Alarms

Weston Community Center - Weston, MA
This building houses the Council on Aging (senior center) and the recreation offices and programs.
Panel: Simplex 4100
Pull stations: 4099-9003's
Detectors: TrueAlarms
Signals: 4903 speaker/strobes

This building is quite small (less than 30,000 square feet). I don't understand why the system is voice-evac or a 4100.
Posting fire alarm systems from eastern Massachusetts (and a few other places) since 2017.

YouTube
Email: everysingletrouble3 -AT- gmail -DOT- com
Fire alarms are cool
Serious Participant
Serious Participant

Some system that I have seen recently!

CVS/Pharmacy (Cox Road, Gastonia NC) by the "bee hive" Spectralert hospital so patients can grab pills and meds and stuff (I came here to buy some cassette tapes):

PANEL:
FCI "Flex series" Panel. Just a rebranded Fire-Lite MS-4
Most Likely some old FCI from the original building
Fire-Lite RZA-4XF by the doors
FCI 4 zone annunciator above the RZA-4XF that Is Black and has 4 Blocks that say "Zone One: Entrance, Zone two: Shop fire exit, Zone three: Stockroom, Zone four: Pharmacy"
All blocks outlined in red with old FCI logo in bottom left corner

INITIATING DEVICES:
Grinnell Rebranded RSG-RMS-1T by front panels
Back fire exit has an FCI-MS-2 by the door
No smokes seen

NOTIFICATION APPLIANCES:
Siemens U-MHT-S17 horn/strobes
Bathrooms have no signals

FedEX in Dallas NC in the "random" part of town that is filled with factories:

PANEL: Unknown but I presume an Autocall/Grinnell panel
Radionics Security Panel (Tan) in lobby
Grinnell/Autocall model 976400S panel by door

SIGNALS:
Wheelock NS horn/strobes

Initiating devices:
None seen. Just sprinklers

McDonalds on Franklin square, Gastonia (I have been here before and it never had a system. It JUST got a system!):

PANEL:
Unknown EST panel
Edwards K-RLCD

INITIATING DEVICES:
Empty red backboxs with stoppers over them (As they are getting the system installed)
No smokes

NOTIFICATION APPLIANCES:

EST/Edwards G1AVRF (White model) In the playplace
EST/Edwards G1AVRF (White Model) (Ceiling mount) In the order area between the automatic order screens
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

Wait. You are telling me people still buy cassette tapes? I did not know that. :lol:
cerbpyro
Casual Participant
Casual Participant

I shadowed a an elementary music teacher (school not disclosed for privacy reasons) yesterday for an over-break assignment. I had been in the school before, but it has been YEARS and there have been some renovations and additions to the original buildings (1976) since then. I knew the system was Simplex, but here's the full rundown.

The original school opened in 1921. The only remaining part from the original is a 1963 classroom wing addition (now houses grades 4-5 , special ed and "specials"--music, art, etc). The rest of the school was rebuilt and opened in 1976. 1976 classroom wings (K-3) were originally the open-pod type; only Kindergarten still has a fully open pod. The other pods now have folding wall dividers added (probably) in the 1990s. The walkways between the buildings were enclosed into hallways in 2016 and fire doors replaced the existing exit doors.

Control Panel---Simplex 4005--Main Office, replacing the 1976-installed 4207 or 4208. Installed June 1997! Simplex wrote the date on the framed operating instructions sheet next to it.
No remote annunciators.

Initiating Devices
Simplex 4251-20 pull stations---1976 (flush mount) and 1963 buildings (surface mount).
Simplex/Chemtronics heat detectors---1976 and 1963 buildings---not many of them.
Simplex 2099-9754 pull stations---2016 additions/enclosures. Mainly by the new exits in the enclosures/additions.
Simplex 4098-9601+4098-9683 smoke sensors---2016 additions/enclosures---mainly near fire doors.

Notification Appliances
Simplex 4051 horns---1976 classroom pods, hallways, offices and main lobby (flush mount) and 1963 buildings (surface mount).
Simplex 4051+4050-85 horn/lights---cafeteria and multi-purpose room (gym/auditorium).
Simplex 4901-Series rectangular horns on 4904-9104 ceiling strobe plates (ceiling mount -9105 strobes)---1976 classroom pods with folding walls. Probably installed with the 4005.
Simplex 4903-9252 15 candela horn/strobes---2016 enclosures/additions. The enclosures I went through only have 1 horn/strobe in them.
No remote strobes to be seen, but that doesn't mean there aren't any.
No exterior alarms visible.
Coding is probably continuous or temporal; I haven't heard the system in alarm.
--

Clock system is a Simplex 6400. Clocks are your standard, round Simplex fare. Not sure what the PA system is, but classrooms have Bogen wall speakers. Hallways have 8" round speakers with no external branding.
Steven Davis
K-12 Music Education Major, Class of 2021
2020 Drum Major
Principal Chair Bassoonist
Self-Proclaimed Orch Dork :D
#Volvo4Life
Fire alarms are cool
Serious Participant
Serious Participant

Simplex 4051 wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 5:42 pm
Wait. You are telling me people still buy cassette tapes? I did not know that. :lol:
I found my old Middle school christmas play cassette tape but the reel broke so I had to "extract" them out into a new tape. (And also because nostalgia/mixtapes.)
Fire alarms are cool
Serious Participant
Serious Participant

This evening I was invited to my parents workplace's Christmas party at the company owner's house. Here is the system of the house:

PANEL:
A*T Keypad by front, front, front, front door (Yes. There are about 4 exit doors in the house. As a matter of fact it is EASY to get lost in their home's complex halls)
IMI keypad by Gameroom (Air hockey/arcade/hangout area)
IMI Remote keypad (Only 3 buttons) in their teenage daughters bedroom

INITIATING DEVICES:
A*T Motion detectors
A*T ultrasonic break glass detectors
A*T Door/window contacts
System Sensor i-3 smokes in areas of the house
First Alert SA76RS Smoke detectors (Not connected to A*T/IMI system)

SIGNALING DEVICES:
ADEMCO 747 siren in a restroom for some reason
A*T Unknown alarm box above Keypad at F,F,F,F door
IMI siren/doorbell in gameroom
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant

When you said system there, for a moment I thought that you meant that they had a fire alarm system. LOL
Fire alarms are cool
Serious Participant
Serious Participant

Value Village in Charlotte next to Cash America Pawnshop:

PANEL:
Unknown but most likely a Potter or ESL

INITIATING DEVICES:
ESL dual action RSG t bars
Fire Sprinklers

SIGNALING DEVICES:
White Potter SH24C-177W ceiling mount select-a-horn/strobes that are VERY yellowed.

Roses next to another Value Village (That one just has 2 System Sensor 2400 smoke/heat detectors)

PANEL:
Most Likely a Silent Knight as noticed by the SK Keypad by the doors

INITIATING DEVICES:
SK BG-12s

SIGNALING DEVICES:
Spectalert Advance ceiling mount horn/strobes
Fire alarms are cool
Serious Participant
Serious Participant

Salvation Army:

Panel:
Silent Knight branded panel (unknown model)
Silent Knight 5860R Annunciator (that was screaming a "NAC error" when I was shopping)

Initiating devices:
Silent Knight BG-12s

Signaling devices:
Wheelock ceiling mount AS horn/strobes

Food-Lion:
Panel: Fire-Lite MS-5-UD or a 10-UD
Annunciator is a ANN by managers office doors

Initiating devices:
Fire-Lite-BG-12 with key lock
Fire Sprinklers

Signaling devices:
System Sensor Spectralert advance ceiling mount horn/strobes (white version)
(also worth mentioning is that the men's restroom is accessed by going through an staff only stock room... Smh...)
Wal-Mart:

Panel: Radionics of sorts

Initiating devices:
Radionics T bars

Signaling devices:
Spectralert Advance red ceiling mounts

An old cotton mill in Ranlo, NC. now used as a Thrift shop/ multiple purpose office:

Initiating devices:
None seen

Panel:
Unknown, Very unlikely

Signaling devices:
Edwards adaptahorns scattered about the poles and trusses.