Rare Smoke Detectors

Discussion of all things related to fire alarms, including alarm systems, fire alarm collections, sirens, sprinklers, fire drills, evacuations, actual fires, building architecture, other kinds of safety drills like tornado and earthquake drills and such, etc.
benson41011
Serious Participant
Serious Participant
YouTube Username: BaltimoreAlarms&Fans

Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:02 am

Some vintage detectors I've gotten recently:
BRK 1769ACI

Another SA120 with the rare red/rust color horn and label
My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/benson41011
My Instagram: @baltimore.alarms.and.fans
Newest Item: FireX FXW-1
benson41011
Serious Participant
Serious Participant

Tue May 01, 2018 7:28 pm

I thought this belonged in this thread. This smoke detector was listed on ebay a few weeks ago but sold before any collectors (at least that we know of) could get to it. It was originally believed to be a rebranded GE Home Sentry 8201-301 with a different cover, but after inspecting the image we believe that it might be more unique than we thought. Notice how it has the multi-hole sensor and you can see a Kobishi CLB-27 squealer in the lower right corner under the slot. All 301's we've seen only have the triple-slot sensor and the black Star buzzer. Could it be a relabeled Gamma? Unlikely as the Gamma had an off-centered test button, but still possible the PCB was rearranged. An oddball early GE 8201-301 variant maybe? Who knows. This is a unit with definite rarity, none of us has ever seen anything like it before.

Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant
YouTube Username: Goldenrod636

Wed May 02, 2018 3:41 am

Does sort of suck you weren't able to get to it before it was sold.
I'm exclusively on Skype now. Add me at amazee_dayzee. I don't do voice or video chats though.
benson41011
Serious Participant
Serious Participant

Wed May 23, 2018 1:06 pm

Another one bought from right under our noses. At first glance you think it's a regular SA120, but look closely at the upper left hand corner you'll see it's actually model SA130. On top of that, the picture on the box depicts a BRK 1200 which was BRK's version of the SA120, essentially the same thing but with a mutated 79R cover. I'd love to know what makes this alarm so special that BRK decided to give it a separate model number, the seller sadly did not post any pictures of the alarm itself. It appeared 3 days ago and sold not quite a day later.
missj_73
Casual Participant
Casual Participant

Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:15 pm

Hi everyone it has been a while since I have posted some pics here but I am definitely settled into my new apartment. It will be 2 months on June 14th that I moved. Time flies so fast. I love the new place by the way and this place doesn't have the basement apartment atmosphere of the other place plus my my health improved some as well. Lost more weight and I have more energy so not complaining there. Here are pics of my First Alert SA76RS. I measured this detector and yes it is very small considering it is from 1977. It is only 6.6 inches in diameter. You can tell from the far away pic that it isn't big as the piller is just a slight bit smaller. I also have the Guardsman bell hanging on the wall outside my bedroom. I hope these pics can get posted. Oh yeah I also saw the 2004 movie called Miracle tonight with Kurt Russell. At the beginning of the movie it looks like a few 10 inch bells either Edwards or Amseco but not sure. The movie takes place in 1979. If someone else here has seen the movie let me know what exactly they are. Thanks.

Jan
Attachments
032.jpg
032.jpg (675.73 KiB) Viewed 992 times
missj_73
Casual Participant
Casual Participant

Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:21 pm

Sorry guys I don't know how to make the pictures smaller but here are they other two ok.
The attachment 033.jpg is no longer available
The attachment 033.jpg is no longer available
Attachments
033.jpg
033.jpg (676.57 KiB) Viewed 989 times
missj_73
Casual Participant
Casual Participant

Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:23 pm

Heres the Guardsman bell. Sorry for the triple post and my apologies for the large pics.
Attachments
034.jpg
034.jpg (686.19 KiB) Viewed 989 times
Sean-mack21
New User
New User

Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:04 am

How do I post a photo? I was remodeling a apartment and I found a smoke alarm I've never seen before. Pretty big and kind of cool because it really shows how far technology has come. I've searched online for it and can't find out anything about it. Would appreciate an aponion from the people who appreciate this type of stuff. Thanks
kcin556
Administrator
Administrator
YouTube Username: kcin556

Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:30 pm

Sean-mack21 wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:04 am
How do I post a photo? I was remodeling a apartment and I found a smoke alarm I've never seen before. Pretty big and kind of cool because it really shows how far technology has come. I've searched online for it and can't find out anything about it. Would appreciate an aponion from the people who appreciate this type of stuff. Thanks
Hi, welcome to the forums. You should be able to upload a photo directly from your computer using the "Attachments" feature located on the "Post a Reply" screen.

If that doesn't work, here is a guide to embed a picture form online: viewtopic.php?f=63&t=7785
Nick - Administrator
Please send me a PM if you experience any issues or have any concerns. Thank you!
kcin556 on YouTube
missj_73
Casual Participant
Casual Participant

Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:54 am

If you can get a pic of the smoke detector I would love to see it. I am interested in older 1970's models with the old fashioned squealer horns. I used to be terrified of them as a child. If you are not interested in keeping it I wouldn't mind taking it. This forum is how I got my First Alert SA76RS.
missj_73
Casual Participant
Casual Participant

Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:36 pm

If you said it was big it could a Teledyne Waterpik smoke alarm. Those are circa 1975 and by far the biggest smoke alarms I have seen on video that is and they have a classic squealer horn. They resemble a space ship. Never saw one in person but I would love to own one. Another one that comes to mind is the Dicon 200 (circa 1976-1978). My parents had them in both houses I grew up in back in the day and it gave new meaning to the word "squealer" horn. The First Alert SA76RS which has the same horn and sensor of the Sears Early one. My parents also had the Sears model. Testing the SA76RS still startles me when I set it off. I have done many push button tests. Tried a smoke test but it didn't work (I think it was something I did. LOL). Hoping at some point to try again. I can still say even though I hated this sound growing up at least it was effective. In my case if it went off I didn't stick around. Todays smoke detectors are useless.
benson41011
Serious Participant
Serious Participant

Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:34 pm

Yesterday I finally got something I have had my eye on for quite some time. You may remember me posting wayyyy back on page 14 of this thread about a Sears smoke detector with a heat sensor that I had seen at a party at my cousin's mother-in-law's house and not knowing that Sears made detectors with heat sensors. Well 4 years later, that very detector is finally mine:
Model no. 350.57046, dated 1977. As you can see, it's a Fyrnetics F-900D rebrand. Ironically, we just recently learned that Fyrnetics themselves made F-900D's with heat sensors (not sure of the correct model number). Very happy to have this smoke detector.
janetrob
New User
New User

Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:02 pm

I have a BRK 1769ACI smoke detector. I had no idea it was rare until I started to looking for advice on how to turn off the alarm! I am not a collector of old/rare alarms. LOL! I just want a new one installed and hope that it doesn't go off unless there is smoke.
glitchyuniversefa

Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:11 pm

I'm new to the forums, but I found a neat old ESL smoke alarm at an internet/phone building and want to know if it's still safe for them to keep on using it. It seems to have lost its fuse, (a circular metal plate that was placed on top of that grey button) and may have already been set off.

Also, I'd like to know when these were first produced, so I can further investigate. I don't really know how to post pictures into the replies, yet, so I can't put up my pic at this time.
EdwardsFan
Serious Participant
Serious Participant
YouTube Username: Mircomfan

Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:31 pm

glitchyuniversefa wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:11 pm
I'm new to the forums, but I found a neat old ESL smoke alarm at an internet/phone building and want to know if it's still safe for them to keep on using it. It seems to have lost its fuse, (a circular metal plate that was placed on top of that grey button) and may have already been set off.

Also, I'd like to know when these were first produced, so I can further investigate. I don't really know how to post pictures into the replies, yet, so I can't put up my pic at this time.
Welcome to the forums! I'm not exactly sure when those were produced, But I believe smoke alarms should be replaced every 10 years. So probably best to replace it with a newer working one!
"Never forget your history, Nor your destiny." - Bob Marley