The people who make fun of us

Wanted to make this topic to discuss the people who make fun of us at work, school, or any other place for liking fire alarms or talking about model numbers that a non fire alarm collector wouldn’t understand. Please refrain from trash talking specific people, but rather talk about if you get made fun of for this hobby.

Hardly any of my friends know that I collect fire alarms. A handful of people that I’ve known since elementary school know, but since middle school I’ve never really discussed my hobby. With that, I’ve never really been made fun of for collecting fire alarms, even in elementary school, where the reaction was mostly just confusion. This is also probably an appropriate place to mention that I haven’t actively collected fire alarms in over two years, and fire alarms have been a substantially smaller part of my life since starting high school.

All of my friends (two lol) know that I collect fire alarms. Most of the time, they dont give a crap, but every once in awhile, they do call me obsessed (in a joking way). Other than that, I dont really get bullied about it. I think the biggest reason is because I dont tell anybody, unless it comes up. For example, if a new friend comes over, and they see my alarms, than ill tell them about it. If they dont like it, I usually dont talk to them.

I don’t really tell too many people that I collect them, but I do tell people that I want to make life safety my career. And the friends who do know about my collection don’t really tease me about it, but my half-brother has sent me a picture of a pull station with only the caption “Identify.”

No one knows or even cares, but I DO know one fire alarm enthusiast at my school (not giving any info).

No-one that I’m aware of knows about my interest AND those who made fun of me faced some of my friends who fiercely defended me (While I told them to let me deal with the situation)

Don’t collect fire alarms but I do like to view and listen to them sometimes. The only time something that REMOTELY seemed like bullying came up was when I was on a (long since deleted) forum and admitted I was on a forum for fire alarms and one member said it was retarded. I won’t give out his name even though he’s long gone from the internet.

I haven’t been made fun of for being interested in fire alarms only been made fun of for being scared of them going off.

I’m surprised that for me, that only happened once. Kids back then were less assholes then they are now.

Outside of the enthusiast community, I don’t tell too many people about my collection and/or interest…maybe 2-5 people know.

In real life, I haven’t really told anybody and most people think I still don’t like them.

I only know one person that has made fun of me and others for our hobbies. I wish I could say names, but what I can tell you is that, ironically, he is a member of this website. He has just harassed many people I know to no end, and is just the worst person I have ever met. If a mod is reading this, PM me for further info.

[quote=HappyJigg post_id=80968 time=1531429702 user_id=3662]

I only know one person that has made fun of me and others for our hobbies. I wish I could say names, but what I can tell you is that, ironically, he is a member of this website. He has just harassed many people I know to no end, and is just the worst person I have ever met. If a mod is reading this, PM me for further info.

[/quote]

Thats… hypocritical.

[quote=HappyJigg post_id=80968 time=1531429702 user_id=3662]

ironically, he is a member of this website.
[/quote]

That… You might wanna PM the mods ASAP about this issue, just ignore him for the time being.

I already told a mod about it and who they are, and they said they will take care of it. This person would criticize people for stupid things like playing Roblox, being “obsessed”, and watching Thomas and friends. Then he would quote Thomas and friends and tell me “shut up I’m playing Roblox“.

We have been made aware of the issue raised by HappyJigg and will be monitoring the situation closely.

Thanks!

@Jigg
I know how it feels sir, I’ve witnessed (and became a side victim of) one of these ordeals but it was like 7 years ago, I’ve long moved on since, even if that happened years ago I’m not very confortable into telling you the details here or even by PM/DM but know that I’ve felt what you’re feeling because of this guy.

@Nick
Glad to hear this case being taken care of, I hope that the offending person have the appropriate actions taken against, harassment is a more than serious offense. I can’t stress enough how it pains me to hear about people getting harrased because of their differences or for anything absurd.

I’ve had some of my friends joke “oh so you pull fire alarms for a living?” But other than that, anyone I’ve told has been okay with it.

people just give me funny looks and say that it is a wast of my money