What are some things that the General Public misconceives about Fire Alarms that drive you crazy?

Discussion of all things related to fire alarms, including alarm systems, fire alarm collections, sirens, sprinklers, fire drills, evacuations, actual fires, building architecture, other kinds of safety drills like tornado and earthquake drills and such, etc.
funnykid31o0
New Participant
New Participant
YouTube Username: TrashyBiFox

Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:23 am

What are some things that you often hear wrong about fire alarms by non fire alarm enthusiasts?
ConorTheFAguy6
Casual Participant
Casual Participant
YouTube Username: CJ9899

Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:57 am

funnykid31o0 wrote:
What are some things that you often hear wrong about fire alarms by non fire alarm enthusiasts?
A lot of people in my classes in high school think the integrity horn on the wall in the classroom is a smoke detector and the sound and the sound comes from the PA. One person tried to prove it to me and we had a 5 min argument until I showed her an actual picture of the device. She knew she was wrong and walked away.
Alarm enthusiast: 1

Non-Alarm Enthusiast: 0
Life is like a free box of fire alarm parts, you never know what you are going to get
funnykid31o0
New Participant
New Participant
YouTube Username: TrashyBiFox

Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:06 am

ConorTheFAguy6 wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:57 am
funnykid31o0 wrote:
A lot of people in my classes in high school think the integrity horn on the wall in the classroom is a smoke detector and the sound and the sound comes from the PA. One person tried to prove it to me and we had a 5 min argument until I showed her an actual picture of the device. She knew she was wrong and walked away.
Alarm enthusiast: 1

Non-Alarm Enthusiast: 0
Lol! I know a lot of people often mistake Horns, Strobes, and Horn Strobes with actual smoke detectors.
kcin556
Administrator
Administrator
YouTube Username: kcin556

Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:00 am

The fact that people still believe one sprinkler head activates them all is still a very common misconception. That's fine and all, the frustration for me comes from the fact that most people won't give you the time of day for an explanations and would rather just believe their original thoughts.
Nick - Administrator
Please send me a PM if you experience any issues or have any concerns. Thank you!
kcin556 on YouTube
Alexis_T
Casual Participant
Casual Participant

Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:24 am

Confusing commercial FA system smoke detectors with consumer-grade smoke alarms.

And the one that REALLY annoys me... Activating a pull station or a smoke detector will activate sprinklers... Is this possible? I personally heavily doubt it.
Hello from France!
If you see someone with my real name (Alexis Trinquet) without the uppercase A and T commenting on any of your videos please just ignore them.
Devices in my collection: too much to count and still counting..!
HenBasket
Serious Participant
Serious Participant
YouTube Username: HenBasket

Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:42 pm

I mean, it would only do that if the pull station was an instant release for the sprinklers on a fire suppression system.
Roses are red, heavy steel beam
I need a rhyme to finish this meme
Housedays
Serious Participant
Serious Participant

Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:31 pm

There do exist sprinkler systems which activate upon the sounding of a fire alarm, however the sprinkler systems that people typically come in contact with don't do such. Office buildings, stores, malls, schools etc. don't have such sprinkler systems.
Alexis_T
Casual Participant
Casual Participant

Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:41 pm

HenBasket wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:42 pm
I mean, it would only do that if the pull station was an instant release for the sprinklers on a fire suppression system.
Normally manual discharge MCPs are dual-action and yellow to avoid confusion, as defined where I live per NF-SSI and AFNOR standards.

That said, I actually meant "people thinking that activating a normal MCP can and will activate sprinklers". Thanks for pointing out that detail :P
Hello from France!
If you see someone with my real name (Alexis Trinquet) without the uppercase A and T commenting on any of your videos please just ignore them.
Devices in my collection: too much to count and still counting..!
Simplex 2903-9101
Serious Participant
Serious Participant
YouTube Username: Fahrenheit4051

Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:02 am

Besides the classic "pull station triggers sprinklers" and mistaking NA's for smoke detectors, I can think of a few.

- Specifically being asked "Do you collect fire drills?" (I mean, if you count experience as a collection, then sure...)

- The time in elementary school where a staff member pointed to a disconnected Edwards Fire Horn and told me "That's where all the noise comes from", despite that obviously not being the case.

- A person, on my dream to have a home fire alarm system: "That doesn't sound safe. Don't you have to pull it for it to go off?"

- Rolling my eyes when a student at my college thought the fire alarm (2901-9838's in continuous) was someone's phone vibrating. I might be only 23, but I was definitely thinking "Kids these days..."
Politicians are like 7002T's - really loud but not too bright.

End-of-line resistor (n.) - A customer who knows they have to wait in line but just wants to know if they can quickly ask a question please.
nightfly287
Wiki Team Member
Wiki Team Member

Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:20 am

Simplex 2903-9101 wrote:
Rolling my eyes when a student at my college thought the fire alarm (2901-9838's in continuous) was someone's phone vibrating. I might be only 23, but I was definitely thinking "Kids these days..."
That would have to be a pretty big phone to make such a large noise. I really hope he was being sarcastic.
nightfly287 -- Director of Sarcasm
Housedays
Serious Participant
Serious Participant

Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:09 pm

Fire drills are abstract things not physical things and so cannot be collected.
idontwannaknow
Serious Participant
Serious Participant

Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:42 pm

Simplex 2903-9101 wrote:
- Rolling my eyes when a student at my college thought the fire alarm (2901-9838's in continuous) was someone's phone vibrating. I might be only 23, but I was definitely thinking "Kids these days..."
Isn’t it the same mechanism though for phones vibrating and mechanical horns?

Either they were very deaf or joking.
idontwannaknow / he/him / 17 / im bored lol
randomperson
Serious Participant
Serious Participant
Instagram: randomperson_firealarms

Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:08 pm

Alexis_T wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:24 am
And the one that REALLY annoys me... Activating a pull station or a smoke detector will activate sprinklers... Is this possible? I personally heavily doubt it.
A teacher at my school actually thought this once.

Another one: Calling unplanned fire alarm incidents “fire drills.”
As in “There was a fire drill today because a heating motor in the slp office broke and caused smoke.”
I've been on TFP for 2 years!
Subscribe to me on YouTube!
My website
Need to contact me? Feel free to send a PM, or email everysingletrouble3 -AT- gmail -DOT- com
Housedays
Serious Participant
Serious Participant

Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:18 pm

Thinking that lifting the stopper and it starting to squeal means that the fire alarm has been activated. What do they think the pull station is there for? Just for backup in case lifting the cover doesn't sound the alarm?
Simplex 4051
Dedicated Participant
Dedicated Participant
YouTube Username: Goldenrod636

Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:27 pm

That fire alarms can sense smoke and activate through picking it up rather than it being activated through the smoke detector and that tripping it.

Though to be fair, when I was younger I had a lot of these same misconceptions.
I'm exclusively on Skype now. Add me at amazee_dayzee. I don't do voice or video chats though.