2012-2013 Fire and Misc. Emergencies Drills

October 17- Lockdown Drill

Our substitute forgot to lock the door and we all got yelled at by the police department… :lol:

This doesn’t really count as a “drill”, but yesterday evening, I was volunteering w/ a club at Stevenson to do face painting at a Halloween party at Hoover Elementary School in Livonia; it was close to 20 minutes after the party started that the fire alarm system was activated! I don’t know exactly how the system was set off, but it was probably due to an unsupervised child activating a pull station, since there were young children at the party.

The signals at the school are National Time & FOS branded Faraday horn/strobes; signal coding is continuous. In addition to these alarms, however, a security alarm system throughout the school was going off at the same time also. The signal coding for the security alarms (small white devices w/ grilles for the speaker output) is an intermittent fast whoop (in series).

Honestly? Out of all the possibilities THAT is what you go to? It was a HALLOWEEN party. How about a fog machine? There are a million other possibilities. There are hundreds of unsupervised children in schools walking the halls every day, do they pull the fire alarm? If any unsupervised person did it, it was probably you.

Moreover, you posted another of your pointless posts in the wrong thread. Instead of being desperate to post lets keep this horrid thread on topic shall we? Kevistic you should have already received a warning by PM from Andrew. Please cool it with the obsessive pointless postings.

The video to my last fire drill: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Bz8TFBTjtw8 It was during period 6, and this time, I was with the principal when the alarms went off in the main foyer. The alarms re Edwards 10" Adaptabels, controlled by the Edwards 6500. I know the bells and pulls are original, not too sure about the panel, Idk if they made 6500s in 1963.

Wiley, this is not a discussion of alarm types and dates.

I have removed the off-toppic discussion.

12/4/12- Fire Drill at 10:00

I was in a wheelchair (surgery) so they had to get me out of the building before the elevator recalled (I was on the second floor)

The conversation about evacuation of people from a building with multiple stories was good, but it was off topic.

Therefore, I have moved it here:
Evacuation and multi-floor buildings (Split from Fire Drills)

Thanks!

Not a drill, but still an emergency with fire alarms involved. Today on the way home from the mall, I passed a small apartment building with its fire alarms going off! (I learned it was a Silent Knight system of some sort with Wheelock MT-24-LSM horn/strobes on Continuous, and was NOT monitored or linked to the fire department!) I couldn’t see any smoke or flames, and I didn’t see any vehicles relating to the fire department or any fire alarm companies, so I had to wind up calling the fire department! They arrived, and learned that the alarm was set off by a resident cooking on the top floor and accidentally tripping a smoke detector in the process, and she couldn’t hear the alarm from where she was! (She was cool with it though.) The firefighters did thank me, saying that this is their job and that I wasn’t a bother at all (though I think that apartment may need to have a few modifications to the alarm system…)

So that was my good deed for today :smiley:

I guess its been a while since anyone has posted in here about any drills or such, but our school had one today!

This was our first fire drill of the semester, after weeks of being delayed. It was planned much earlier, but our school had a flood, which was caused by a hot water main break in a second floor classroom, which had shot our elevator, water damaged the main office and the foods classroom, the staff room, the conference room, etc. We missed school for a week, and today, our school still is being fixed. They had also planned it for last week, but they need all 3 principals to do a fire drill, and The Principal had been stressed out about the flood damage and stuff that he had to stay home. So today, I guess the vice principals decided to do it without him, as we still have 2 more fire drills, a lockdown drill and a hold and secure drill to do in less than 2 months.

Anyways, this fire drill happened pd 2 at 9:30 sharp. I have spare period 2, and I knew about this drill, so I decided to seek refuge in the student council room and wait for the alarms to go off. I have anxiety, which causes me to get really anxious about surprising stuff like fire drills, even when I know it’s going to happen. I started filming once I had my headphones in, So I wouldn’t have to hear the alarms starting. As you can see in the video, there is a delay in when I start to get up to head out because I didn’t notice the alarms were even going off until I took out one of my headphones. I also walked back in the room, because I was planning to go to an alternate exit, to record some of the fire bells closeup, but I had ran into my foods teacher. I did get a shot of the basement hallway though before exiting.

1 Like

Why was she shouting at you?

We normally have two drills one is when the school dose it and the second on is for the fire department.

We started doing monthly lock down drills after Sandy Hook, but ended up calling it off after the first drill.

why did they call it off after the first drill.

She wasn’t shouting at me, more in general. It was because when we went outside, it started to rain. That’s why I told her “I guess they tried to beat it but they failed”.

It was too time consuming to just sit there and practice a lock down drill every month. Also, whenever the shooting happened, the school district wanted to be extra safe. Of course, after a few weeks, they started to chill down, and we didn’t have to lock our classroom doors anymore.

ooh we have a state officer at my school at all times

Same, and he’s pretty nice.