2020 Site Updates and Ownership

Hello, all.

I wanted to bring you up to speed on some exciting developments for this website! My name is Zach, and I’ve been active in the fire alarm community since 2010 and continue to advance within the hobby. Some of you may be familiar with the Fire Alarm Collectors and Technicians Discord server that I’ve been running for the past two years.

I have recently taken over the domain for https://www.thefirepanel.com in its entirety, and am working to merge it with my website, https://www.firealarmtech.net. Over the next few weeks, you should see some updates coming to this site as we work to bring our forums up to date. I would like to mention the Wiki that I have on my website. This is similar to the Wiki that we formerly had here, with more updated information. Additionally, I have rebuilt the Simplex model number checker and have a more updated database as people have come to me with more model numbers.

With me, I am bringing along three of my moderators from the Discord server, Miniman0404 (Johann) and Robert A, and Katy. They will be working with me to ensure that the transition will go smoothly and that the forums will be moderated effectively. To be clear, this site will remain known as The Fire Panel forums.

To give you a layout of our immediate plan of action, we have outlined the following items that we will be addressing in the very near future:
• Bringing the forum software up to date to ensure the highest level of security for all users
• Reformatting the forum rules in such a way that they will be easier to understand
• Restructuring the forum hierarchy and layout to make discussions more organized
• Archiving outdated/closed discussion threads to improve organization
• Installing security measures to reduce outside spam and false user accounts

We hope that you will enjoy the upcoming changes to The Fire Panel forums!

1 Like

Would this “management change” happen to be due to NewAgeServer’s (who I believe was the original owner of this site) semi-retirement from the alarm community plus the fact that he was last active 2 years ago?

[quote=CarsonFireAlarm post_id=86833 time=1586809624 user_id=2958]

Would this “management change” happen to be due to NewAgeServer’s (who I believe was the original owner of this site) semi-retirement from the alarm community plus the fact that he was last active 2 years ago?

[/quote]

The management change happened as a result of Andrew’s ownership of the domain expiring. We’ve closely been working with Ryan on keeping the site live, and part of that change included new ownership of the domain. Andrew has stepped away and retired from the community and as a result, Zach has stepped in to help keep TFP running.

We hope this transition is smooth for everyone, and if you have questions please feel free to ask us.

That’s good! After all, change is inevitable. I’m sure Andrew wouldn’t have wanted the forums to expire and die, so Zach did a good move on his part. Let’s hope that this forum continues to live on and on.

-RSSAlarms

(didn’t know you could post in here, lol)

Awesome job guys! I look forward to seeing the next step for this website. =]

Hey Zach, Robert, Johann, and Katy, I appreciate you guys taking the torch from Andrew and the original staff. I know you guys will do a fantastic job! :slight_smile:

Glad to see that the forum will keep going :slight_smile:

[quote=CarsonFireAlarm post_id=86833 time=1586809624 user_id=2958]

NewAgeServer’s (who I believe was the original owner of this site) semi-retirement from the alarm community

[/quote]

He was the previous owner of this site, but not necessarily the “original owner” of this site. That title of “the original owner” goes to Ben Schumin, hence why this website used to be called “The Schumin Web Community” years ago. Basically, this recent change is essentially a repeat of when Ben transferred ownership to Andrew, to an extent.

I meant the “original owner” as in BEFORE NewAge retired and the new/current one came along. And yes, I do believe Andrew mentioned something once about him having “inherited” the site from Ben Schumin.

Thank you to the admin team for keeping this site alive.