Anyone familiar with the ESL 206 alarm?

It seems I have one in my house. Woke me and my family up randomly last night with a horrendous noise. After looking it up, I came across this forum, learned it was rare, and am curious to learn more. Or rather, figure out if I could sell it on ebay for a decent chunk of change.

1 Like

I have one of those detectors myself, I think they were made around the 70s & thus are very old & should be replaced (smoke detectors should be replaced every 10 years, & that one is long past the 10-year replacement date). You’re also right about that: they are very rare indeed. I would indeed sell it to a collector as throwing it away would just be a waste (especially given the rarity of this particular detector).

I’d recommend you replace that 206 with a dual-sensor detector (ionization & photoelectric), as they offer the best possible protection from any kind of fire that may break out.

3 Likes

I have this in my house. It no longer works I think. How can I tell if it just needs the battery changed

2 Likes

If the one in your house is the 206 specifically it’s too old to have a backup battery; as I told the original poster I’d recommend replacing it with a detector that’s dual-sensor (ionization & photoelectric) & is hardwired with battery backup (such as First Alert/BRK’s 3120B), which should give you the best possible protection. Don’t throw the 206 away though: even if it supposedly no longer works properly it’s still considered valuable by many life safety community members such as myself, thus give it to one of them.

1 Like