Autocall is coming back

Interesting - I’ll be looking out for these! Realistically though, I don’t count on seeing them anytime soon because where I live, new installations that use Simplex/Tyco are few and far between.
Autocall’s been out of the loop for several years now, but Simplex has still remained ever since they started. So Simplex is the more well-recognized brand. I’d imagine most installers would go for Simplex over Autocall simply because of name recognition.

One thing for any hopeful distributor to keep in mind is that if Autocall protocol is truly incompatible with Simplex, in the same way that Notifier, Gamewell-FCI, and Silent Knight protocols are incompatible, they had better be focused on new installations, because there are zero existing Autocall systems. This means no existing systems to upgrade or expand, no service work, and if you go with addressable notification, retrofits will require replacing every device in the system, which almost no building owner would opt for. From my perspective, this really limits the appeal of jumping on board, even if it is an opportunity to access some of Simplex’s more innovative features.

Just noticed the TrueAlert evac sign still has the Simplex logo. Not sure why though.

It all depends on how the security side of the protocol. For System Sensor Devices, FlashScan, SK protocol, and Velociti all work more or less the same. The only difference is that different brands embed different ID codes in the modules. If the FACP doesn’t read the ID code (and certain ones don’t!), then you can mix and match. DISCLAIMER: DO NOT do this on an active life safety system!!!
But for us hobbyists, if the difference is merely something like a security code that the panel may or may not check for, it might make it far easier for us to get a hold of addressable Simplex equipment.

Wouldn’t this be a good time to reintroduce a small 2 or 4 zoned panel like the 4004? There are plenty of markets that wouldn’t require something as large as a 4006. Honeywell actually has an edge in these markets with the MS-2 and MS-4. Even Potter still manufactures 4 zone panels, according to their website.

Correct. OEM codes for the AutoCall and Simplex panels will be different. But on the device side ive heard two different stories. One is AutoCall can read Simplex devices BUT not UL listed, the other is its completely different so retrofits would require new AutoCall panel and devices.

Just found this conversation and had to Join. Last post was in October 2017. What is your latest thought on Autocall? I think this is going to change the industry.